Has anyone bought a car on Ebay?

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I'm looking at 94-97 Miata's. Locally in NY they are for sale at $6-10k. On Ebay there are several down south in the $2-5k range.

There's a few dilemmas though...

1: I would have to fly myself and my dad(mechanic to inspect it) to wherever. Which has a slim chance of being a waste if the car isn't what it appeared.
2: If I bid on a car I'm oblgigated to pay up per the rules of Ebay. However, I will not pay until physically inspecting the car and being satisfied. Otherwise the deal is off.
3: Either driving the car home or paying to have it trailered.

Has anyone else gone through this process before? Thanks!

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Yes. We (my family) have purchased 3 now. 2 dodge stealths and a bmw 540i.

Everyone of the purchases was actually not made through ebay. The cars were originally listed on eBay, but we contacted the seller and set up a showing in person with no obligation to purchase the car.

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo

Everyone of the purchases was actually not made through ebay. The cars were originally listed on eBay, but we contacted the seller and set up a showing in person with no obligation to purchase the car.

Same. I found a car for my gf on ebay, thru a local search. Set up a meeting and purchased after he cancelled the auction.

Also, I've sold a car for my brother, a 96 318iC. The gentleman was from Memphis, TN and he flew in and drove it back from Long Island, NY. He was a very happy guy...

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Yea. Just bought a Land Cruiser on eBay. The place is about 5 miles from my brother's place, so I had him check it out for me. Got it for a fair bit under book. See this thread

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
So should I bid on a car, or just contact the seller directly? Because most likely the cars will have other bids on them already.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000

Same here, found my car what I wanted and contacted the local seller to arrange something.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Jumpem
So should I bid on a car, or just contact the seller directly? Because most likely the cars will have other bids on them already.

Contact the seller directly.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
also another question for discussion...

if you did buy your car on ebay (directly or indirectly) was the seller a private owner or a dealership?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No, but I plan on it unless I can find a "perfect" 240Z locally.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX

if you did buy your car on ebay (directly or indirectly) was the seller a private owner or a dealership?

2 private owners, 1 dealership.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I've not, but I would only if I could check it out.

That's thing I'll bid on it, but if it's not as advertised when I inspect it I sure as hell won't be purchasing it.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX

Mine was a dealership.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
I bought a car on Ebay.

The guy was in the same state as I, so it was not too worrying, as I knew where he was for beating up purposes if the vehicle was not as claimed. I emailed the seller and offered him a price to end the auction and sell to me outright, but he refused, wanting to take his chances on the auction thinking he would get more. I snipped the auction with 2 seconds left, paid $200.00 less then I offered him and he got stuck with Ebay fees.

I took my b/f over with the cash and let him do the once over. We got one hell of a bargain.

I would never buy a car out of state though. Too risky. And there are so many vehicles available in state.

:)

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
I would never buy a car out of state though. Too risky. And there are so many vehicles available in state.

All three of ours have been out of state. 1 in PA, 1 in Mass, and 1 in Arizona.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: KarenMarie

All three of ours have been out of state. 1 in PA, 1 in Mass, and 1 in Arizona.

Dunno, seems kinda worrying to me... pay to fly down with cash to get a car I have never seen, with the hopes that the seller was being honest. Then the drive back hoping that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. And if there is, it would take another trop back to break someone's legs and worry about jail time. ;)

I am glad it works for others, but it is not something that I would do. What I drive is not that important to me.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i bought a toyota 4x4 truck on ebay in another state last year

Decent deal, runs great, needs things, but nothing i cant do with a couple weekends.