Has anybody else noticed a huge decrease in writing quality since PC's became so widely used?

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Now that I'm not in school anymore, I rarely write anything more than my signature on a credit card receipt or two lines on a check to pay a utility bill. I use a PC at work all day and other than jotting someone's name or number down I don't do any writing there either.

I've noticed that my handwriting has become terrible likely due to lack of practice in the past 3-4 years. If I try to write some notes in a card to someone it looks like a third grader wrote it - how I wish I could just type something up (in 1/3 the time), print it out, cut it up and tape it in. :)

Kind of a weird observation but I'm thinking I'm not the only one. Anybody else notice this?

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
My handwriting has always sucked. If I was less squeamish, I could've been a doctor.

I print legibly, though.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
not really, i take a dozen pages of notes a day :p

grammer on the other hand, now that is a different story.

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Since I'm still in school I still write a good bit but On a monday after the weekend it does hurt to take notes since I usually don't write on the weekends, and I don't want to look like too much of a dork taking notes on my laptop or pda, since I would probably be the only one doing so.

ChinamanatNCSU

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2001
I think since writing and note taking is still so prevalent in schools that writing quality is somewhat preserved. I have pretty close to the same handwriting since the 5th grade (junior in college now), and it hasn't gotten any worse due to PCs going mainstream, though it also hasn't gotten any better. I would say typing quality is what has hugely decreased, w/ ppl typing LiKe DiS LoLrOfLmAo

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: ChinamanatNCSU
I think since writing and note taking is still so prevalent in schools that writing quality is somewhat preserved. I have pretty close to the same handwriting since the 5th grade (junior in college now), and it hasn't gotten any worse due to PCs going mainstream, though it also hasn't gotten any better. I would say typing quality is what has hugely decreased, w/ ppl typing LiKe DiS LoLrOfLmAo

Yeah I agree with you on typing quality. But some things I'll still make shorter because of the fact it's easier.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Outside of work, I've noticed that most handwriting looks like carefully created caligraphy. At work, it's handwriting as usual...impossible to decipher.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
This happens to me too. If I'm doing more coding the than writing-up stuff, I find that my handwriting sucks.

Teach a class, and your handwriting will improve. It's amazing what using chalk forces you to do.

Edit: speaking of handwriting and doctors, it's said that the only legible thing a doctor writes is the bill. :D

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Handwriting??? You mean with some kind of tool or something? Like in stone age? Buahahahaa... seriously, nobody writes without a keyboard anymore, right?

:confused:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
My writing quality has continued to decline. I'd put myself at a lower elementary level now. I used the PC for everything, and it shows. I cannot write cursive (it's silly anyway), and my printing, though quite readable, looks like crap.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
ya seriusly liek peeps cant spell n e more and tehy use dum abrevaiations like ur and stuff also they don writge paragrafs and miss tuns of pnctuation. bothers teh hell outa meeh.

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
My handwriting has always sucked. But using a computer for absol-freaking-lutely everything hasn't helped.