Harvard University Tries Women-Only Gym Hours to Accommodate Muslims

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Lazy8s
Risking my rep on this board (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....ok I'm composed) I am gonna post. At my university I had a class and I went into the computer lab before class to get some work done. I wasn't in there for 5 seconds before I was asked to leave the "minority lab". I was floored. I looked at the guy and asked if I could just use a chair so I could sit if I didn't touch a computer. He said no, I had to be a minority to enter the room. I asked him which computer lab in the building I could use. He said none, this was the only one and it was a minority only lab. I then asked him where the white only lab was and I honestly thought he was going to hit me. I then left.

Crap like this really pisses me off. If you want equality ok. If you want special treatment then you can stick it in your naughty place. Now, seeing as Harvard is a private institution I guess it's up to them but I would argue that the slippery slope is more dangerous. If they pander to one (excessively small) group then they are going to have to pander to everyone until they are racist because black women can only work out at 2am and that is an unreasonable hardship.

I will be interrested to see if they get sued seeing as how they are involved in interstate commerce and this could be viewed as racist.

WTF school did you go to? :confused: I'm pretty surprised that such a thing would exist. I could understand a lab that is limited to a certain major (minority studies?) or department though.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Risking my rep on this board (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....ok I'm composed) I am gonna post. At my university I had a class and I went into the computer lab before class to get some work done. I wasn't in there for 5 seconds before I was asked to leave the "minority lab". I was floored. I looked at the guy and asked if I could just use a chair so I could sit if I didn't touch a computer. He said no, I had to be a minority to enter the room. I asked him which computer lab in the building I could use. He said none, this was the only one and it was a minority only lab. I then asked him where the white only lab was and I honestly thought he was going to hit me. I then left.

Crap like this really pisses me off. If you want equality ok. If you want special treatment then you can stick it in your naughty place. Now, seeing as Harvard is a private institution I guess it's up to them but I would argue that the slippery slope is more dangerous. If they pander to one (excessively small) group then they are going to have to pander to everyone until they are racist because black women can only work out at 2am and that is an unreasonable hardship.

I will be interrested to see if they get sued seeing as how they are involved in interstate commerce and this could be viewed as racist.

WTF school did you go to? :confused: I'm pretty surprised that such a thing would exist. I could understand a lab that is limited to a certain major (minority studies?) or department though.

EDIT: Fixed, d#$n it's late. Bed time.....

Nope, the lab is separate with it's own tutor. Now, they may be voluntary or something. I didn't bother to ask. I chose to let it go because it's not a fight worth fighting. The school is Auburn University.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I don't get why Muslims are getting all these special favors while we randomly inspect them at airports. Hell, we can't even wear shoes at security anymore because of them!

You know, they don't ALL hijack planes or blow themselves up on buses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkwong/2295603610/

No, but I bet about 90% purposely and inadvertently donate money to a "charity" that funds them.

Thanks for making your prejudice clear. :thumbsup: At least you're open about it.

Why pretend?

I bet 90% of Americans purposely and inadvertently love having a group to hate on.

Muslim hate is just like the black hate and Jap hate that rolled through America. Americans love having someone to hate and profile.

<--- Muslim, does not donate to "charity" that funds terrorism.

I don't see the problem here. The Quran says they have to cover up in public, specifically around men. They explained their point to Harvard, who set aside 6 women only hours so that they could wear clothes better fit to working out (try working out in a nun's getup, or some robes, probably not too easy). Everyone crying over 6 out of 70 hours that the gym is open is a ninny.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: zoiks
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
just one of many acts of appeasement of islamic fundamentalists in the west by self defeating progressive types.
http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/

It's no secret that you're the anti-muslim ass on the board. Aint no surprise this coming from you.

defending sexism, cultish insular and fundamentally intolerant ideologies is not my thing. perhaps its yours. too bad for you. if being anti sexist is being anti muslim, so be it. just remember what that says about what you defend.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: zoiks
just one of many acts of appeasement of islamic fundamentalists in the west by self defeating progressive types.
http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/

It's no secret that you're the anti-muslim ass on the board. Aint no surprise this coming from you.

defending sexism, cultish insular and fundamentally intolerant ideologies is not my thing. perhaps its yours. too bad for you. if being anti sexist is being anti muslim, so be it. just remember what that says about what you defend.

Using your logic, ANY religion is a fundamentally intolerant ideology. I guess we should all denounce God right away as to not follow a fundamentally intolerant ideology.

I don't see how this is sexist. They're setting aside less than 10% of the time the gym is open to allow women to work out without getting ogled by men; if the turnout ends up being less than 10% then by all means, scrap it. When I see a hot ass at the gym I go out of my way to stare at it, these girls obviously don't want that. "Just go to another gym" probably isn't an option when you're living on a campus like Harvard...

I'm guessing you agree with all those no Hijab regulations in France too :roll:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
The Islamic idea of "tolerance and respect" is that everyone must respect their wishes, and they do not have to adapt to anyone else's. Here's a similar example that I came across last weekend:

I work with a Muslim guy, who invited a group of coworkers and friends over to his house for dinner. Unlike other dinner parties that I've been to, no alcohol was served (i.e. wine with dinner). His wife stated that they do not serve alcohol at home. I respect that. However, it came out in conversation that when she and her coworkers go out for any kind of function, nobody can drink alcohol in her presence. When I asked my coworker about this later, he stated that her coworkers and friends do not drink around her out of respect for her culture and beliefs. Right, sure.

This directly contradicts a comment he made at the party stating that her coworkers didn't like when she came along to these functions because they couldn't drink.

Another example would be the Somali cab drivers in Minnesota who were in the news recently because they refused to transport passengers who happened to be carrying alcohol.

mrSHEiK124 and others: Why do Muslims refuse to adapt to other cultures?

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Kadarin
The Islamic idea of "tolerance and respect" is that everyone must respect their wishes, and they do not have to adapt to anyone else's. Here's a similar example that I came across last weekend:

I work with a Muslim guy, who invited a group of coworkers and friends over to his house for dinner. Unlike other dinner parties that I've been to, no alcohol was served (i.e. wine with dinner). His wife stated that they do not serve alcohol at home. I respect that. However, it came out in conversation that when she and her coworkers go out for any kind of function, nobody can drink alcohol in her presence. When I asked my coworker about this later, he stated that her coworkers and friends do not drink around her out of respect for her culture and beliefs. Right, sure.

This directly contradicts a comment he made at the party stating that her coworkers didn't like when she came along to these functions because they couldn't drink.

Another example would be the Somali cab drivers in Minnesota who were in the news recently because they refused to transport passengers who happened to be carrying alcohol.

mrSHEiK124 and others: Why do Muslims refuse to adapt to other cultures?

Nice job setting yourself up there, I've got a great counterpoint.

You can't buy any alcohol in a few states on Sunday. Why? Fundamentalist Christians think you shouldn't. Boo-urns. Why do they refuse to adapt to other cultures? Why is sodomy illegal in several states? How is any of that any different at all?

In Islam, several people are "damned" when it comes to dealing with alcohol, those who knowingly grow for it, brew/ferment it, drink it, sell it, in the company of those who drink it, etc. I'm generally a very reasonable person, IE, I don't have my head 15 feet up my ass. I think that family you're referencing are a bunch of intolerant dickfaces. When I go out to eat, I'll wait a little extra to not be seated in the bar area. I won't cause a ruckus over not being seated elsewhere, I'll just let whoever's behind me in line sit there and wait for another table. I don't FORCE others not to drink in my presence either. Then again, I tend to avoid situations where I'm sure copious amounts of drinking will be involved; if people are getting plastered at a party, I just won't go, not "OMG STOP DRINKING MOZLEM COMING." Not only because people are drinking, but if people are getting plastered at a party then people are probably doing a bunch of other shit I don't exactly agree with; I've got no place there. Not drinking is a tiny part of my lifestyle, not a pillar. If I ended up at some kind of fancy dinner and people were drinking, so what? That's the reality of living in a land that doesn't follow your law. Islam is supposed to be reasonable, not convoluted; I keep it real :p

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: winr
Originally posted by: paulxcook
Student Ola Aljawhary, who is Muslim and works out elsewhere on campus but is not one of the women who requested the change, rejected that argument.

"The majority should be willing to compromise," she said. "I think that's just basic courtesy. We must show tolerance and respect for all others."

Anyone else have a problem with this line of thinking? Could I expect the same treatment in a predominantly Muslim country?

What will they be asking next ??

Change all of the laws eventually ??

They're way ahead of you around here(Sweden that is).

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
This is retarded, plain and simple. Dont like the way things are done in america. Then dont come to america.

I personally would never think of going to live in another country and expecting the people there to conform to my ideas and way of life.
:thumbsup:

what makes you think this is only for foreigners...you do know there are plenty of american muslims right?

JImmyK

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm I wonder if we would have such a ruckus if they were just "women" who were insecure and wanted some 5% of the gyms time to themselves.

Adding Islamic or Muslim context to anything these days makes it automatically combustible.

At Virignia Tech back in 98-01 (I forget exact details) they used to close down the Mccomas gym every morning for football players because they were either having their new gym built or some type of leak.

Bottom line was nobody other then football players could use the main campus gym (let alone some small one as this thread refers to). I swear if I heard even 1 thing about it - it was just an announcement in our school paper and thats all - it was a lot more then 5% of the time also.

This is just a phase in 10-20 years this will all be past us - just like being racist towards black people seems inconceivable today so will this.

It is unfortuante though for the muslim population living here in the next 2 decades.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Well at my college different sports teams used to be able to reserve the whole gym for team workouts. No one else was allowed to use the facilities when they had it reserved. I don't see this being any different. Of course there are men that work in the gym checking ID's and logging people in and out though. They'll have to make sure they aren't in the work out room some how.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
I don't get why Muslims are getting all these special favors while we randomly inspect them at airports. Hell, we can't even wear shoes at security anymore because of them!

No, but I bet about 90% purposely and inadvertently donate money to a "charity" that funds them.

Thanks for making your prejudice clear. :thumbsup: At least you're open about it.

Why pretend?

I bet 90% of Americans purposely and inadvertently love having a group to hate on.

Muslim hate is just like the black hate and Jap hate that rolled through America. Americans love having someone to hate and profile.

I don't see the problem here. The Quran says they have to cover up in public, specifically around men. They explained their point to Harvard, who set aside 6 women only hours so that they could wear clothes better fit to working out (try working out in a nun's getup, or some robes, probably not too easy). Everyone crying over 6 out of 70 hours that the gym is open is a ninny.

The Qur'an does not state anywhere that they have to wear the burkhas or the hijabs. All it states is that the apparel has to be modest and cover the bosom. The long flowing robes is nothing more than culture, it is not religion.

and you forgot the Native Americans and the Chinese who built many railroads, but the 90% number you pulled out is egregious. America is a great melting pot of ideas, religions and beliefs; granted it isn't perfect.

However, do the Southern Baptist strap bombs on their chests and vehicles and go to Catholic supermarkets? Does the Mormon church have thugs that will haul anyone away that drinks a coke and beer?

The 90% of Americans don't hate any group, they just have a great disdain for repressive backward societies that are unwilling to enter the 21st century.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
BAD precedent

Yea, when will Harvard start offering female only classes to accommodate Muslim beliefs? Or female-only cafeterias, common areas, ...

HardcoreRomantic

Jun 20, 2007

Here's another example Normandale College

Lothar1974

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2003
Originally posted by: spacejamz
whatever happened to "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"???

nobody forced anyone to come to the US, nobody is forcing them to workout at the Harvard gym and now they want to inconvenience the majority of people who workout there just to suit them?

I think they Harvard should allow this after all Middle East countries allow foreigners to freely perform their religious practices in public over there...after all, the majority should be considerate of the minority (according to the woman in the article), right???

:thumbsup:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
If they also had a Men only times/sections/etc as well, then I don't think there'd be anything to complain about. Or even internally just have two rooms and make one Women Only on certain days or something.

Separate but equal, eh?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

dude I think they punked you.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Why pretend?

The Qur'an does not state anywhere that they have to wear the burkhas or the hijabs. All it states is that the apparel has to be modest and cover the bosom. The long flowing robes is nothing more than culture, it is not religion.

and you forgot the Native Americans and the Chinese who built many railroads, but the 90% number you pulled out is egregious. America is a great melting pot of ideas, religions and beliefs; granted it isn't perfect.

However, do the Southern Baptist strap bombs on their chests and vehicles and go to Catholic supermarkets? Does the Mormon church have thugs that will haul anyone away that drinks a coke and beer?

The 90% of Americans don't hate any group, they just have a great disdain for repressive backward societies that are unwilling to enter the 21st century.

I was mocking JS80's "statistic." Nice job missing the sarcasm there.

By the way, don't try and preach my religion to me. The verse I'm certain you're quoting about "covering the bosom" says THE HEADSCARF (Khimar, exact Arabic word used, also means veil) should cover the bosom. Burkas, however, are entirely cultural. "Modest" apparel is largely interpreted as anything that isn't form fitting, a jilbab (the "robe") is the cultural garment some choose to wear. Business casual works too...

Catholics didn't invade a Southern Baptist country and forcibly evict an entire population. They aren't still today carving up their land and settling there. They don't cut the power and gas and cause a humanitarian crisis for fun.

I don't agree with the thugs that haul people away for drinking. Just like I don't agree with being fined for selling drinks on Sunday. Then again, we're talking about AMERICA, nice job turning this into broad Muslim bashing.

Originally posted by: JImmyK
Hmm I wonder if we would have such a ruckus if they were just "women" who were insecure and wanted some 5% of the gyms time to themselves.

Adding Islamic or Muslim context to anything these days makes it automatically combustible.

At Virignia Tech back in 98-01 (I forget exact details) they used to close down the Mccomas gym every morning for football players because they were either having their new gym built or some type of leak.

Bottom line was nobody other then football players could use the main campus gym (let alone some small one as this thread refers to). I swear if I heard even 1 thing about it - it was just an announcement in our school paper and thats all - it was a lot more then 5% of the time also.

This is just a phase in 10-20 years this will all be past us - just like being racist towards black people seems inconceivable today so will this.

It is unfortuante though for the muslim population living here in the next 2 decades.

That's the sad truth.

Nov 7, 2000
to me, this is the opposite of 'open-mindedness'
it encourages identification by race/religion
it encourages segregation
draws attention to people's differences instead of their similarities
benefits a minority at the majority's expense
dictating policy based on religion, even if for 'good' is still just that. should the cafeteria serve no meat on fridays during lent out of respect for its catholics?

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007

Why pretend?

Here is your problem, you are trying to decide the rules for a 21st century society concerning a culture that is not your own and labeling it as backward. You do not make the rules and I don't think that you should try to force your views upon others. Talk like saying it is backward doesn't help anyone.

Whether we like it or not, the US doesn't rank as high in surveys of happiness, health, education etc as it used to. We have problems of our own over here and some of them are a direct result of the culture kids grow up in. I feel like we shouldn't be so quick to condemn other cultures but rather recognize them as being a different way of doing things. While it is hard not to comment on what we find agreeable or disagreeable in our own mindset, we should not forget that each unique culture has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Why pretend?

I was mocking JS80's "statistic." Nice job missing the sarcasm there.

By the way, don't try and preach my religion to me. The verse I'm certain you're quoting about "covering the bosom" says THE HEADSCARF (Khimar, exact Arabic word used, also means veil) should cover the bosom. Burkas, however, are entirely cultural. "Modest" apparel is largely interpreted as anything that isn't form fitting, a jilbab (the "robe") is the cultural garment some choose to wear. Business casual works too...

Catholics didn't invade a Southern Baptist country and forcibly evict an entire population. They aren't still today carving up their land and settling there. They don't cut the power and gas and cause a humanitarian crisis for fun.

I don't agree with the thugs that haul people away for drinking. Just like I don't agree with being fined for selling drinks on Sunday. Then again, we're talking about AMERICA, nice job turning this into broad Muslim bashing.

I gave credit to you pulling the 90% out. So modest apparel that covers the skin does not mean a long free flowing robe that would prohibit you from working out?....so maybe a pair of sweats or workout pants?

No the Catholics didn't invade Southern Baptist land, but the Christians have had more than their share of conflict and struggle. We had Puritans, Quakers and the Salem witch trials here in America. Europe had the Thirty Years' war which reshaped a continent. They have learned to co-exist with others of a different mind.

So what if there was a rift over a thousand years ago, does it really matter which Caliphs are recognized and which are not. This happened a long time ago, get way over it.

Hell, the Jews killed the Christian's living God and you don't see them firebombing churches now do you?

Hell, sometimes I feel the world would be so much better a place without religion...

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Muslim bashing? well, what else can it be? Purely Muslim issue. Well, it is possible that Mormons could pull this type of shit too though, in Utah.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: JImmyK

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: