Harvard Study Concludes: Gun Control does not Prevent Murders or other Violent Crime

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Setting a wonderful christian example. I'm sure your Jesus loves you advertising for him in such a fashion. I've always said the number one thing keeping people from Christianity is Christians, I guess I just got some confirmation bias too.

Do like Jesus does.... LOCK AND LOAD BABY!!!!!!!

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel! ... Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.

Matthew 23

"Get behind me, Satan! For you are not on the side of God, but of men."

God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
Psalms 7:11

all applicable to you

Last edited:

Joe_u

Sep 26, 2013

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel! ... Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.

Matthew 23

"Get behind me, Satan! For you are not on the side of God, but of men."

God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
Psalms 7:11

all applicable to you

I'm Christian. I find this post offensive. You may do well to fully read the New Testament.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'm Christian. I find this post offensive. You may do well to fully read the New Testament.

Thread's been dead for 2 weeks dude. You found it necessary to revive it just so you could copy someone else's post word for word? And in doing so you missed a couple pretty solidly "Christian" principles such as "judge not lest ye be judged" and "pride goeth before the fall" and most definitely "turn the other cheek". Seriously you don't do a very good job of representing Christians unless your intent is to make them look like petty, childish jerks.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
I can't really conclude whether guns reduce crime but there is no doubt in my mind that the govt's guns increase the number of murders.

jyX1n.jpg

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Thread's been dead for 2 weeks dude. You found it necessary to revive it just so you could copy someone else's post word for word? And in doing so you missed a couple pretty solidly "Christian" principles such as "judge not lest ye be judged" and "pride goeth before the fall" and most definitely "turn the other cheek". Seriously you don't do a very good job of representing Christians unless your intent is to make them look like petty, childish jerks.

Jesus tells me to love God, to pursue the truth, and fight against evil.

You worship Satan and carry out his will on Earth. Therefore, I am obligated to oppose you and your evil ways.

Clearly, you are a pathetic piece of trash pretending to know Christianity:

Proverbs 16:18
(KJV)

18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Last edited:

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Did someone mention yet that this isn't a Harvard study and that Gary Mauser is a gun lobbyist for the National Firearms Association?

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
Did someone mention yet that this isn't a Harvard study and that Gary Mauser is a gun lobbyist for the National Firearms Association?

Also, did anyone mention that a Mauser is a type of firearm, and that Nazis used Mausers? This study is clearly invalid.

It's only a coincidence that the CDC study commissioned by Obama came to similar conclusions.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I can't really conclude whether guns reduce crime but there is no doubt in my mind that the govt's guns increase the number of murders.

Holy crap, that might be the most intelligent, relevant, and cogent thing I've ever seen you post. Was your account hacked?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Jesus tells me to love God, to pursue the truth, and fight against evil.

You worship Satan and carry out his will on Earth. Therefore, I am obligated to oppose you and your evil ways.

Clearly, you are a pathetic piece of trash pretending to know Christianity:

So for a second time you necroed this thread to post something petty and childish. I'm now absolutely convinced you're intentionally trying to act petty while pretending to be Christian but are actually not. Not that real Christians aren't capable of being petty, but they wouldn't be so blatant in their actions in trying to make Christians look bad. Christians, like most people, are quite capable of making themselves look bad without others trying to help.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
this still isn't a harvard study. it's an article published in a harvard law school journal. the authors aren't on the faculty at harvard.

I hate to break it to you, but most research done in college isn't performed by the faculty. :rolleyes:

Shit. Stupid necro threads.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Also, did anyone mention that a Mauser is a type of firearm, and that Nazis used Mausers? This study is clearly invalid.

It's only a coincidence that the CDC study commissioned by Obama came to similar conclusions.

Yeah that doesn't say what you think it does. It was a study to determine what should be studied in order to create good policies or to efficiently address gun related issues.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Just curious if anyone who read this study thinks Gates has any agenda he is pushing? Can you name his other works?

As far as the other author, anyone know what his credentials are? How many peer reviewed papers has he written on the subject?

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
Yeah that doesn't say what you think it does. It was a study to determine what should be studied in order to create good policies or to efficiently address gun related issues.

It analyzes existing data and studies and recommends topics for future research. I don't recall saying anything about what the study says, aside from that it's consistent with "more guns does not equal more deaths and less guns does not equal less deaths."

The purpose was to poke fun at the absurd claim that the Mauser study is invalid because its author has some relation to Canada's National Firearms Association. A study should be judged on its methodology, not the alleged biases of its author. Here's an example of my own proper dissection of a flawed and biased study; legitimate complaints about this study should follow a similar pattern.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
So for a second time you necroed this thread to post something petty and childish. I'm now absolutely convinced you're intentionally trying to act petty while pretending to be Christian but are actually not. Not that real Christians aren't capable of being petty, but they wouldn't be so blatant in their actions in trying to make Christians look bad. Christians, like most people, are quite capable of making themselves look bad without others trying to help.

Calling you a piece of stinking trash is a compliment to you. What term can adequately describe a promoter of violent crime, liar, hypocrite, and bigot?

Love the person, hate the sins.

BTW, this thread is always relevant because it discusses a metaanalysis that disproves gun grabbers' claims.

It's sad to see how the gun grabbers only response is:

Argumentum ad hominem – the evasion of the actual topic by directing the attack at your opponent.

Last edited:

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
Calling you a piece of stinking trash is a compliment to you. What term can adequately describe a promoter of violent crime, liar, hypocrite, and bigot?

Love the person, hate the sins.

But in reality, you're hating the person, and hating their 'sins'. If you say you're a Christian, you should probably act like it, instead of quoting random scripture and pretending.

Is this you btw:

'They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.' Titus 1:16.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
But in reality, you're hating the person, and hating their 'sins'. If you say you're a Christian, you should probably act like it, instead of quoting random scripture and pretending.

Is this you btw:

'They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.' Titus 1:16.

Interesting. You can read my mind? Hahahaha. LoL.

I'm don't judge people because I know that we are all sinners. However, I can still point out their sins.

Jesus hates evil. I follow Jesus, thus I hate evil.

Matthew 7:1-3

King James Version (KJV)

7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
BTW, I am still waiting for a valid refutation of the study.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It analyzes existing data and studies and recommends topics for future research. I don't recall saying anything about what the study says, aside from that it's consistent with "more guns does not equal more deaths and less guns does not equal less deaths."

The purpose was to poke fun at the absurd claim that the Mauser study is invalid because its author has some relation to Canada's National Firearms Association. A study should be judged on its methodology, not the alleged biases of its author. Here's an example of my own proper dissection of a flawed and biased study; legitimate complaints about this study should follow a similar pattern.

It simply does not say that. Now one could gather from their own meta research that there exists no hard, concrete, indisputable data either way but that's not what you linked to said. It said that the studies out there warrant additional research on the topic.

I agree with your other points which is why I asked for the authors backgrounds.

Last edited: