Harry Reid - we can not have people break the law and just walk away

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Maybe he's getting food stamps too that dirty bastard.

Nah, he's probably like your typical Nevada "conservative": living in a 3000 square foot house in foreclosure where the government - owned mortgage hasn't been paid in years but there's an F-250 King Ranch diesel and a MasterCraft in the driveway, and a few waverunners and quads in the garage.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Breaking / upholding the law is an unrelated subject?

These cattle got a better response than Benghazi did.

If his actions are not affecting you directly, it is none of your business.

Benghazi! the ultimate right wing mind fuck of Duh-version, even better than Birtherism.

How many goalposts can you set up & move around, anyway? When will you drag in the shibboleth of Voter Fraud? Welfare moms? Free fucking birth control? Soul crushing taxes on the Rich?

Or are you just desperately tossing shit to see if any of it will stick?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Nah, he's probably like your typical Nevada "conservative": living in a 3000 square foot house in foreclosure where the government - owned mortgage hasn't been paid in years but there's an F-250 King Ranch diesel and a MasterCraft in the driveway, and a few waverunners and quads in the garage.

Gave me a laugh. Thank You.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
How many goalposts can you set up & move around, anyway?

How many times can the government break the law? And not just United States law, but international laws and basic human rights.

How many children have to die in drone strikes? How many people have to be tortured? How long does someone have to be detained?

Elected officials like reid would rather throw a hissy fit about cattle than address real problems facing this nation.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
With the Administration choosing to ignore and not properly deal with MJ and Colorado I don't think they have a moral leg to stand on. Yes people break the law and walk away with blessings and inaction to make it legitimate.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
With the Administration choosing to ignore and not properly deal with MJ and Colorado I don't think they have a moral leg to stand on. Yes people break the law and walk away with blessings and inaction to make it legitimate.

When the administration murders US citizens without due process of law, then refuses to release information as to "why" that person was murdered, attempting to uphold any other law is null and void.

How can the government kill women and children with drone strikes and then turn around and protect gay rights?

How can the government detain people in gitmo forever, but release illegal immigrants who have criminal records back into the united states?

Reid wants to talk about upholding the law? His comments are absurd.

Lets address protecting life and liberty before throwing a fit about cattle.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Wait, now your argument is that if the government isn't enforcing some law to your satisfaction they lose the ability to enforce all other laws in the country?

You realize how crazy that is, right?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Wait, now your argument is that if the government isn't enforcing some law to your satisfaction they lose the ability to enforce all other laws in the country?

You realize you can't read right?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

Are you being obtuse on purpose, or are you just stupid?

How about the federal government just enforce the law? Not to my satisfaction, not to your satisfaction, just enforce the law as written.

How about we stop detaining people forever? Put them on trial or release them. Is it really that difficult?

How about we stop bombing villages and killing children?

How about we protect the civil rights of all US citizens, and not just those the government deems worth of equal protection?

The obama administration orders US citizens killed with drone strikes, but sues to stop voter ID requirements?

What is wrong with our government?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That should include amnesty for undocumented invaders. Doesn't the Federal Government often selectively enforce laws like immigration and Marijuana Use?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You would think that.

Now find where I said that government could not enforce laws.

Times a wastin' Speedy.

Hint- don't try to argue from what you wish I had said.

I do apologize: you simply said they had no moral grounds to enforce the law.

In some ways that's even more ridiculous.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

Politicians have a more difficult time convincing people they must follow the law because it is the law, when they themselves encourage and reward others who do not follow other laws.

The ability to enforce laws depends in part on cooperation with the public. The motivation for this thread's topic is a perfect example of the government's diminished ability to enforce laws when they do not have public support.

Hayabusa Rider was correct with what he said.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
That should include amnesty for undocumented invaders. Doesn't the Federal Government often selectively enforce laws like immigration and Marijuana Use?

Of course they do. They can do pretty much anything along those lines they want, and I never said otherwise. What I did was make a comment on Reids "you cannot just break the law and walk away". Yes, yes you can and it happens all the time and not just with one person but a whole state. Any appeal to a sense of right or wrong that Reid may have made on the basis of following the law doesn't hold from a moral perspective. Does he have the power to make others pay through selective enforcement? Of course he does. Power and morality aren't the same.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The federal govt hasn't fully enforced marijuana law since 1996, when CA adopted MMJ. At the federal level, it's no more legal than recreational MJ.

They haven't been enforcing federal law in over 20 MMJ states, either.

Perhaps they need to prioritize their efforts, given the lack of infinite funding.

Contact your congress critters and insist that they fund the DEA to whatever level it takes to enforce the law fairly & equitably, and to fund prisons to incarcerate all the offenders.

Or just STFU.

OTOH, it is quite possible to enforce grazing law all across the West, given that there are only a few Libertopian land grabbing idiots refusing to pay, maybe only this one in Nevada for all we know.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Or just STFU.

Or how about the government repeal the laws?

Better yet, how about we repeal all victimless laws?

After that maybe the government will take care of innocent people being detained at gitmo, drone strikes, income inequality, free trade, climate change,,,,,.

Some oil company dumps millions of gallons into a river, oh well.

Some rancher lets his cattle graze on public land, and the government wants to send out armed thugs?

Google, apple and other tech giants conspire to decrease wages across the industry, and all the get is a fine?

Why didn't the justice department respond to the housing collapse like the BLM did to grazing cattle? Send in some armed thugs, point guns at people working on wall street, threaten to arrest bankers, taze wall street CEOs.

Where is the balance in justice?

Last edited:

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Duh-vert! Duh-vert! Duh-vert! Sound the klaxon, dive deep into the safe & comforting waters of denial!

So it's ok to bring up da Boooooosh in any thread that might be going south for libs, or the crusades when any thread concerning Islam starts to go south? That happens quite a bit on here.

And for the record, I don't have a dog in this rancher fight.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The federal govt hasn't fully enforced marijuana law since 1996, when CA adopted MMJ. At the federal level, it's no more legal than recreational MJ.

Perhaps they need to prioritize their efforts, given the lack of infinite funding.

Contact your congress critters and insist that they fund the DEA to whatever level it takes to enforce the law fairly & equitably, and to fund prisons to incarcerate all the offenders.

Or just STFU.

OTOH, it is quite possible to enforce grazing law all across the West, given that there are only a few Libertopian land grabbing idiots refusing to pay, maybe only this one in Nevada for all we know.

That's been my bone of contention about this whole thing. Just how many of these "free range" ranchers are there anyway? Oh,

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
That's been my bone of contention about this whole thing. Just how many of these "free range" ranchers are there anyway? Oh,

They said there are 1600 ranchers out in those areas who all pay fees, and or just keep their cattle on their land fenced in. So yea, this guy is the only one not abiding by the law...lol

Oh and I might add this Bundy rancher keeps saying he doesn't recognize our federal government and only recognizes Nevada law.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

Or just STFU.

Well isn't that special? If you weren't such a hack you'd know (excuse me, you are a hack and you do know) that I'm for the legalization of MJ. Until such time the Executive Branch (and we know who heads that up) has the ability to at the very least change the schedule of MJ, and if you hadn't known, the last Execucritters can and have withdrawn our participation in treaties. But you do know that, at least about the scheduling. That might not be without political consequences though, and you've already let us know how keen you are on not caring what happens as long as the Party comes up smelling like roses.

Oh, I also noticed you selected MMJ. In case you haven't noticed this latest change in CO wasn't about that, but access to the general public with no reason whatsoever. Apparently they have more testicular fortitude than you, Obama, Reid, and both Parties. Too bad they had to do this in the face of your pander above all approach.
Your unswerving support of Harry Reid notwithstanding, my issue in any of this isn't that the government doesn't have the right, nor indeed am I saying that discretion is completely inappropriate. It would be nice if the government at least tried to change or mitigate the legal basis for imprisoning people without mocking the whole thing. BTW I AM saying that when a legitimate and immediately accessible mechanism isn't used to make a huge abuse of law at least not grounds for a life in prison then I'm not particularly susceptable to Mr Harry's preaching, something you clearly embrace. Well Republican or Democrat, all the same when it comes to politics and power.

Oh, have you noted that I didn't say that the landowner has unlimited rights? Did you read where Mr Harry used influence to gerrymander the restricted areas to allow his illegally contributing friend to build on "environmentally sensitive" land?

I didn't know you were so ardent a Republican and Reid supporter. My error.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
So yea, this guy is the only one not abiding by the law...lol

When are we going to see an armed response to google and apple suppressing tech wages?

Maybe an armed response to wall street fleecing main street? When are we going to see a single arrest associated with the collapse of 2008?

I want to see a wall street CEO being tazed.

Last edited: