Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to be split into two films?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link

Harry Potter fans are set to get a double treat in the film of the final story ? and movie makers are set to double their money.

Crew working on the sixth Potter film, Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, have been told J.K. Rowling's seventh novel, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, will be released in two halves.

For film-makers Warner Bros, whose first five Potter films have made £2.5billion in box office receipts ? more than any other movie series ? it could mean a £500million bonus in ticket sales.

But sources insist the reason behind the two-movie plan is artistic rather than financial.

The books got progressively longer ? the first, the Philosopher's Stone, had 223 pages while Deathly Hallows has 776 ? and fans have complained chunks of later novels have been left out of films.

A film source said: "There's so much to fit that the view is the last movie should be in two halves. There is a huge battle when Harry, played by Daniel Radcliffe, takes on Voldemort that needs to be done really well."

And Ms Rowling points out on her website: "It is simply impossible to incorporate every storyline into a film under four hours long."

At Warner Bros, who are rumoured to be thinking of Oscars and a big-name director such as Steven Spielberg for the final film, a spokesman said:

"People are discussing all possibilities."

After finally getting around to seeing Order of the Phoenix, I'd have to agree with this. Order of the Phoenix was massively chopped up compared to the book and I've heard that lots of stuff is getting cut out of the Half Blood Prince as well so that it can be condensed into movie form.

Oct 4, 2004
I guess they could release a 3-hour theatrical version that would satisfy most fans and a 4-hour extended version on DVD like New Line did with The Lord of the Rings (for the fanatics). But yeah, why not sell more tickets AND more DVDs? Nothing wrong with it as long as the two movies don't feel half-assed.

(Thinks Kill Bill should have been one three-hour-long movie)

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I'm alright with this, for the final one considering how much is going on in it.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
It really needed to be two movies anyway. They're chopping the hell out of the HBP and changed a lot of stuff in the OOTP that should've been in there.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: LAMONTBURNS
I would think 5-7 could all be 2 parts.

Definitely. Too late for 5 and 6 is getting the hell chopped out of it, however.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
I was a huge HP fan until I read book 6. I had read all of the previous books more than 4 times. Book 6 was crap. I heard enough things about book 7 that I haven't even read it.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
I wonder then when they decide to make part 7 in 2 parts... are they going to try to tie up story lines at all that were completely vacant in movies 5 and 6? I am guessing not... more like a 60 minute all accounts version of the Battle at Hogwarts?

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I am on book 5 and have seen movies 1 through 4. The movies seem so choppy and had incoherent flow because they were cutting out so much. I wish they had made the movie longer to be more faithful to the books, so this is good news.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: yankeesfan
I was a huge HP fan until I read book 6. I had read all of the previous books more than 4 times. Book 6 was crap. I heard enough things about book 7 that I haven't even read it.

imo the 7th book could have been oodles shorter...but hey, it was a good leadin for that, uhh final hundred or so pages.

Originally posted by: Dacalo
I am on book 5 and have seen movies 1 through 4. The movies seem so choppy and had incoherent flow because they were cutting out so much. I wish they had made the movie longer to be more faithful to the books, so this is good news.

I would be okay watching HP for 5+ hours per book!

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I wonder then when they decide to make part 7 in 2 parts... are they going to try to tie up story lines at all that were completely vacant in movies 5 and 6? I am guessing not... more like a 60 minute all accounts version of the Battle at Hogwarts?

WTF spoilers man! :|

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002

Dude, the article in the OP states:

A film source said: "There's so much to fit that the view is the last movie should be in two halves. There is a huge battle when Harry, played by Daniel Radcliffe, takes on Voldemort that needs to be done really well."

All I added was a possible location. I did not open this can.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

by stating whats in bold is saying a lot!

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003

If you haven't read it by now, you have no business whining about spoilers

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I'm trying to think of a good splitting point in the seventh book, but none comes to mind.

:SPOILER:

I was thinking of maybe the escape from Malfoy's or thereabout.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage

by stating whats in bold is saying a lot!

Hmm... worthy of a spoiler alert? at this point? Iffy.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I'm trying to think of a good splitting point in the seventh book, but none comes to mind.

The point right after Voldomort cuts off Harry's hand and tells him he's his father.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
YES!

There's just way too much stuff going on, and I really wanted to listen to McGonagall...

SPOILER ALERT

command the tables to attack along with the suits of armor. And Mrs. Weasley's infamous line. PLEASE keep that in the movie.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I have no problem with JK Rowling and the actors involved trying to make as much money as possible... I'd gladly pay $10 to see each one.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I would much rather each movie be made into an epic 5 hour film. I would be much happier.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
After finally getting around to seeing Order of the Phoenix, I'd have to agree with this. Order of the Phoenix was massively chopped up compared to the book and I've heard that lots of stuff is getting cut out of the Half Blood Prince as well so that it can be condensed into movie form.