Harris Poll - Scary Republican results

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
And how is Australia no longer a free country?

You must be kidding me. You can't be serious. Are you serious because I'm tapping my sarcasm meter and it's coming up with nothing.

Suggest you look up firearm's and freedom of speech in Australia in the last 10 years.

-edit-
Strike that, 20 years. But most of it is in the last 10 years.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Perhaps you could point out how a single one of those points is at all "Marxist"? Or at least admit you don't know what it means.
I'll be honest. I really have no idea what Marxism is. I tried reading wikipedia but the article is like 100 pages long and it doesn't seem to explain anything. It says a bunch of stuff about rising up against the upper class. Ok then. Does that mean form a poor people oligarchy? Form a democracy? Maybe it just means form a government capable of enforcing rules against the wishes of capitalists (ie you can't dump toxic waste in this river).

From the wikipedia article:
Criticism from the right

Marx and Engels never dedicated much work to show how exactly a communist economy would function, leaving Marxism, at least in its classical form, a "negative ideology," concerned primarily with criticism of the status quo. Later generations of Marxists have attempted to fill in the gap, resulting in several different and competing Marxist views of the way a communist society should be organized.

So basically there's nothing to it. Marxism isn't even an idea. It's just angry ranting with no solution. Is this correct?

Suggest you look up firearm's and freedom of speech in Australia in the last 10 years.
Spidey's right on this one. It's not a horrible place or anything, but Australia seems to have a major problem with censorship. Game reviewer Yahtzee has complained about it many many times. Often games are delayed by months or even years because the game can't be sold in Australia until it's censored to hell and back.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
You must be kidding me. You can't be serious. Are you serious because I'm tapping my sarcasm meter and it's coming up with nothing.

-edit-
Strike that, 20 years. But most of it is in the last 10 years.
I guess it depends on how you define "freedom". Firearms laws in my country are virtually identical to Aussie and I'm fine with it and I certainly don't consider it a gross breach of my personal freedom. My own personal life would be orders of magnitude more affected if I couldn't, say, gamble, or buy booze on Sunday, or pay for sex. (kidding on the last one).

Agree with you on the censorship thing, it's getting a bit ridiculous in Aussie. Thankfully their internet censorship has been smacked down (at least, last I heard it was).

There are degrees of freedom, it's not as black and white as saying "Australia is not a free country". People in Aussie are free to move around the country, leave the country, marry into other cultures, practice their own religions, etc. A place like North Korea, now that's not a free country.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Are you actually saying that people are just now realizing that Obama really is a foreign-born racist Muslim who hates the United States and is literally the anti-Christ? As though those things are all true and the people who believe them are the only sane ones? You need to get your head examined.

Yes he is.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
I'll be honest. I really have no idea what Marxism is. I tried reading wikipedia but the article is like 100 pages long and it doesn't seem to explain anything. It says a bunch of stuff about rising up against the upper class. Ok then. Does that mean form a poor people oligarchy? Form a democracy? Maybe it just means form a government capable of enforcing rules against the wishes of capitalists (ie you can't dump toxic waste in this river).

From the wikipedia article:
asdf

So basically there's nothing to it. Marxism isn't even an idea. It's just angry ranting with no solution. Is this correct?
I hate to break it to you, but sometimes you really do have to read a couple hundred pages to become truly literate no a subject. I recommend just getting Capital instead of a wikipedia article or throwing out ad hoc questions on a forum. The book as a vehicle for transmission of knowledge is not dead yet, despite the drivel being spewed from Web 2.0 techno-utopian prophets these last few years.