Harmony Remotes

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by olds, Feb 11, 2013.

1. olds

olds Elite Member

Looking at the Touch.
    Can they be programmed to skip forward and skip backward like I can do with my Dish DVR remote?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Harmony Remotes Forum Date
    Will a Logitech Harmony RF remote solve my line of sight woes (pics included) Audio/Video & Home Theater Aug 16, 2015
    Harmony remote alternative Audio/Video & Home Theater Feb 25, 2014
    Need new Harmony remote, what do you suggest? Audio/Video & Home Theater Dec 28, 2012
    Anybody good at setting up a Harmony One Remote, etc? Audio/Video & Home Theater Nov 22, 2012
    What are the "best" (affordable) Universal Remotes these days? Is Harmony still king? Audio/Video & Home Theater Nov 2, 2012

3. ImpulsE69

ImpulsE69 Lifer

Assuming whatever you are trying to control is in the database, they will do whatever that remote will do.

4. Eug

Eug Lifer

There is no 30 second forward or 30 second backward command unless the device already has that feature, if that is what you're asking.

ie. If remote code X causes a 30 second jump forward, then a Harmony remote can replicate that. If there is no such remote function, then adding a Harmony remote won't add that feature.

5. Railgun

Railgun Golden Member

Yes is the simple answer.

6. Number1

Number1 Diamond Member

I was looking at one in the store yesterday, what an awesome looking remote. If it works as well as it look, you got a winner. The reviews on the web are very good. PCmag Editor choice

7. olds

olds Elite Member

Thanks.
    It appears it does the skip function but you have to go into the LCD screen to do it. You can't use one of the hard buttons. Eff that.

8. ND40oz

ND40oz Golden Member

I hate using the LCD screen to do anything, it's not bad on a device that you're just using in your hand or lap, but when you need to be pointing it at something it's a pain. I have a Harmony One and an 880 and the 880 is much easier to use, I can't imagine trying to use the touch unless they're planning on releasing an RF version that you can use for everything with an IR blaster(s).

9. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

You can reassign the functions of the hard/soft buttons. I have a 650 and am quite happy with it.

10. Eug

Eug Lifer

I generally get the cheapest programmable Harmonies. Why buy a $250 rechargable remote with annoying touch screen when you can get a Harmony 650 for $50 on sale? It's not as if the rechargeable one actually controls your devices any better. The main limitation of the 650 is the number of devices supported. (Actually if you're transferring from another Harmony remote that isn't an issue either, because you can transfer all your programmed devices over, regardless of the device number limitation. The device number limitation is an artificial marketing one, not a technical one.)

And yes, you can program the buttons how you like. The 650 as 4 coloured buttons that don't do anything normally. My PVR has ABC buttons which don't have corresponding hard buttons, so I have programmed the first 3 coloured buttons to be A, B, and C.

11. Phanuel

Phanuel Platinum Member

This, I can't understand how touch screen remotes get any positive reviews. I own a One and the touchscreen is the most irritating thing about it. The 650 my dad has is way better to use.

12. olds

olds Elite Member

Are any of the Harmony's backlit and rf?

13. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

I think the high end ones are RF and they're all backlit except for the $30 basic one I believe.

14. Fallen Kell

Fallen Kell Diamond Member

Personally I can't stand touchscreen remotes. I don't want a remote that requires me to have to look at it to do anything. I'm also in the market for a new remote, but I just can't seem to find something that will fit my requirements (yet). I need to go talk to a few dealers still. If I can find one that will sell me a MX-780 and include the programming software, I would be all over it.

15. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

i'm using my iphone right now as a remote and will be using an ipad when i eventually get one. the extra real estate will be awesome on the screen so i won't really have to scroll to do anything. i'm using roomie remote right now for the application and liking it a lot so far.

all of my gear is in a closet that is back behind where i sit, so i needed something that i did not have to point and could use from anywhere.

i had a harmony for like 4 years or so previously (the 659 i believe) and it was decent for what i used it for - just tv and xbox 360 pretty much. i couldn't use it for ps3 unless i had that bt->ir adapter, which i actually got for my new setup now. pretty crappy that the logitech adapter does not have a true "off" and "on" function for ps3 though.

but my harmony started to get wear and tear and buttons slowly started not working. i don't suspect i'll have that problem using a tablet as a remote.

16. Railgun

Railgun Golden Member

I'm trying to remember if the One was setup with the skip piece for my dish receiver. It's been a couple years but I'm pretty sure it does.

Call em.

17. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

Yes.

18. Fallen Kell

Fallen Kell Diamond Member

I know the 890 had RF, but I believe it was only compatible with their RF->IR converters.

19. Cobalt

Cobalt Diamond Member

Have been through three One's and now own a 750. I broke the touchscreen on the One's each time, they seemed "soft" and broke rather easy. This 750 I have now has lasted me two years so far and it's still like new except for some minor fade on the number keys. The touchscreen functionality was great but couldn't keep up with me unfortunately lol. Hopefully they made this more durable, but no hardware based buttons for channel changes means I don't care for this model.

20. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

Their 900, One, and 1100 are also compatible :)

21. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

Either I have a magical One remote or you are extremely rough/unlucky. Mine has been dropped a number of times on the floor over the last three years and the screen is fine. Typically it falls from 2-3ft whenever it gets tangled up in a blanket or falls off the arm of a chair.

22. Tegeril

Tegeril Platinum Member

My One has been a trooper forever, but I don't think the new touch one is a good idea at all. Occasional touch is fun and useful, but hardware buttons for certain things is mandatory.

23. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

The Touch is OK if you mind the remote being designed for people who will spend most of their time functioning the touchpad. The hardware buttons are awkwardly placed on the remote so much so that its pretty uncomfortable to operate. They clearly designed the remote for mostly operating at the middle of the device.

24. Goros

Goros Member

I love my Harmony 900, all my A/V gear except the TV and Bluray are in the basement and it lets me control everything.