Hardwired mesh network to existing system

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
We finished our house a few months ago and have the entire house hardwired with cat 6. The setup is:

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Ethernet runs

We upgraded insulation throughout and the WiFi suffers at points. The signal goes upstairs fine but going through the downstairs walls is a pain. I was wondering if I am able to hook up a mesh system to this and act as hotspots. What I would like to do is take an Ethernet spot not being used, add a switch to it, then hardware into something like a Google WiFi that acts as a wireless spot for signal strength. The house is about 4600 square feet and I am looking at possibly grabbing the Google WiFi three pack.

Ethernet runs -> wall outlet -> 4 port switch -> Google WiFi that works off my already existing system

This may seem extremely easy for someone but I want to ask before I try as I have tried looking this up and can’t find specifically what I am looking for.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Assuming all ethernet cables end at a single location and that is where your modem is, then you just hookup modem -> router -> switch -> hardwire to various locations -> google home.

That four port switch is not needed unless you want to hardwire other stuff at that location.

Actually, I would not go with google in your sutuation, it wants to be the network, so it probably doesn't play nice as just mesh wifi access points.

Another thing to consider is wpa3 is rolling out soon and I would wait for that.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
The switch is just to add extra ports where only one is at. I believe you have answered my question. From what I kept reading was the Google WiFi wants to be the network and not added to it. I am looking to add to my network by using a cat 6 cable to a little hub that is able to be connected to and then travel through the hardwire.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Ubiquiti is where you want to look for this. Due to having ethernet through the house. You do not need to mesh your wireless network. Use something with a controller and let the clients pick the WAP.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I was about to ask a similar question, but was going to use Tenda MW6 Nova instead of Google.

Why would you not want a mesh just because you have hardwired connections? I thought the point of the mesh was so you only had one SSID and the mesh moved your device from node to node based on which one had the best signal.

Most mesh setups have limit router options. So, I was going to use my R7500v2 as my router. I have R6300v2 setup as a wireless bridge that connects at 1142Mbps to the R7500. The ports on the R6300 are used to hardwire some PC's in a game room. I was going to use the Tenda MW6 just as a mesh for all my wifi needs. One connected to the R7500, one on the R6300 using the 1142Mbps connection as a backhaul. Then the third just out somewhere using wifi as a backhaul.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
I was about to ask a similar question, but was going to use Tenda MW6 Nova instead of Google.

Why would you not want a mesh just because you have hardwired connections? I thought the point of the mesh was so you only had one SSID and the mesh moved your device from node to node based on which one had the best signal.

Most mesh setups have limit router options. So, I was going to use my R7500v2 as my router. I have R6300v2 setup as a wireless bridge that connects at 1142Mbps to the R7500. The ports on the R6300 are used to hardwire some PC's in a game room. I was going to use the Tenda MW6 just as a mesh for all my wifi needs. One connected to the R7500, one on the R6300 using the 1142Mbps connection as a backhaul. Then the third just out somewhere using wifi as a backhaul.

The Ubiquiti setup (or any enterprise setup) works the same way as a wireless mesh network, except with a wired backhaul. Ubiquiti supports zero handoff, meaning one SSID and clients can roam seamlessly between access points. They also have band steering, so you have one SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and the access points "steer" clients to the better band.

I'd highly recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG) and Unifi access points. I recommend the USG, over cheaper Ubiquiti routers, because it will run the cloud controller on it, and it has a user friendly interface.

Last edited:

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
But, you can have a wired back haul with some wireless meshes. The Tenda MW6 Nova supports that. And it has one SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Not sure if zero handoff is something special, but it does hand off clients from one AP to another.

Although the Ubiquiti stuff is probably of better quality. But, buying the Gateway and 3 access points is a lot more than the MW6 I bought for $129.

Now if my main router ever goes out I very well may upgrade to Ubiquiti hardware. Although I don't really know if I need all the configuration options that Ubiquiti hardware offers.

Eric Fazekas

Jun 27, 2017
I did this with Linksys Velop. I have three of them and they run in bridge mode for the Main LinkSys WRT1900AC (wifi not broadcasting). I tried using the Velop routers alone, but this works better. All three Velops are wired to the WRT1900AC. The WRT1900AC is in the comm closet with one of the velops, and the other two are one each side of the house (about 5,000 sq ft ranch...110 ft from end to end).

The house Cat 6 terminates to punch down panels in the comm closet so I used one of the jacks, found it on the punch down and patched from there straight to the WRT1900AC.

Modem -> WRT1900AC -> [Port 4] to 24 port Switch -> Patch Cables -> Punch Down -> House Wiring -> Wall Ports
WRT1900AC -> [Port 1] -> Main Velop (direct connect since they're next to each other)
WRT1900AC -> [Port 2] -> Patch Cable to Punch Down -> House Wiring -> Wall Port -> Patch Cable to East Velop
WRT1900AC -> [Port 3] -> Patch Cable to Punch Down -> House Wiring -> Wall Port -> Patch Cable to West Velop

I think I have previous posts in this Networking Forum on the Velop setup, as well as my comm closet wiring.

Eric Fazekas

Jun 27, 2017
I will add that the Velops have two ports on the bottom. One can be used for the wired backhaul and you can attach a device to the second one - either one computer/laptop or a mini-switch if needed. I have a mini-switch attached to my East Velop and it runs my laptop and a Smart TV.

Eric Fazekas

Jun 27, 2017
One final thought, I have an detatched garage...where I have a fourth Velop that is connected to the Mesh network wirelessly through the West Velop (I didn't extend my wired network to that building). From that wireless connection I'm able to run a POE mini-switch where I have two 1080p POE security cameras connected to the DVR system. It's also nice to have a good strong wireless signal in that building for listening to streaming or researching something on my tablet.

My point being, the Velop is versatile and can run some that are wired and others that are wireless in the Mesh.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Set my Nova's up a few days ago the same way. Two are wired and one is wireless. So far so good. Way better coverage than just my R7500 could provide.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Mesh provides ever decreasing bandwidths\performance the further from the wired back haul it gets. If you have the infrastructure use wired every time. The ubiquiti controller will help steer clients between the WAPs. There will be a single SSID through the home. There is no requirement to use Ubiquitis unified gateway neither. I use ubiquiti at home with a Sophos UTM 9 firewall. I run the Ubiquiti controller on a virtualized 2016 box. Mesh has its place. But not in this situation imo.

Reactions: middlehead

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
What is the advantage of using Ubiquitis controller and their WAP vs a mesh that uses nodes with wired back hauls and allows devices to move around from WAP to WAP on the same SSID?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What is the advantage of using Ubiquitis controller and their WAP vs a mesh that uses nodes with wired back hauls and allows devices to move around from WAP to WAP on the same SSID?

Clients move WAP to WAP in an enterprise setup on the same SSID. I think we need to establish that information. So the advantage is not having a client on a meshed WAP with half or less the bandwidth as the back hauled WAP. Controllers can also steer a client to a better WAP. Clients can tend to be sticky.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Clients move WAP to WAP in an enterprise setup on the same SSID. I think we need to establish that information. So the advantage is not having a client on a meshed WAP with half or less the bandwidth as the back hauled WAP. Controllers can also steer a client to a better WAP. Clients can tend to be sticky.

I can go to a node on my mesh in their app and see which node a device is connected to. And it changes as I move around the house while being connected to the same SSID. How is that different from clients moving from WAP to WAP on the same SSID in the enterprise setup?

And why is the meshed WAP half or less bandwidth if all mesh nodes are using wired backhaul?

I can see where a controller steer clients could help out sticky clients. Not sure my Nova does that, but probably not. Not sure how i would even tell who is steering the clients, the mesh or the client. It does have a capacity-oriented mode that says it should be turned on when their are over 30 clients. So, it might be trying to do some kind of forced load balancing for clients.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
I can go to a node on my mesh in their app and see which node a device is connected to. And it changes as I move around the house while being connected to the same SSID. How is that different from clients moving from WAP to WAP on the same SSID in the enterprise setup?

And why is the meshed WAP half or less bandwidth if all mesh nodes are using wired backhaul?

I can see where a controller steer clients could help out sticky clients. Not sure my Nova does that, but probably not. Not sure how i would even tell who is steering the clients, the mesh or the client. It does have a capacity-oriented mode that says it should be turned on when their are over 30 clients. So, it might be trying to do some kind of forced load balancing for clients.

If it's a wired backhaul there probably isn't any technical difference. The reason to go with Ubiquiti is reliablity and quality.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If it's a wired backhaul there probably isn't any technical difference. The reason to go with Ubiquiti is reliablity and quality.

Pretty much it at this point. If every WAP is back hauled it alleviates the need for the wireless mesh network.