Hard time choosing between compact digitals...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mc866

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2005
How does the F40 compare to the F31, does anyone have any experience?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
eh, i screwed up. it's not twice the size. it's a diagonal twice as long. which is 4x the area. same concept, though.

Steven T

Mar 4, 2007
Originally posted by: mc866

the slightly older f31 is much better. With the F40 you gain mega pixels but lose some options. The added mega pixels dont do anything since the sensor isnt able to handle them well anyway (needs to be bigger). As far as picture quality f31 is the better choice.

Guys.. The place I ordered the 2 cameras ended up being a scam! They emailed me to call in and verify my order and I quickly found out that they were trying to ship me inferior CRAP Chinese models (not usa version). I knew something was up when they asked, "would you like to add the upgraded battery?" and I was like "Uhh no, the f31fd lasts days on one charge". He then replied, "no, you're mistaken. It's only 35 minutes but for 80 dollars we can upgrade it to a high capacity battery." At that point I said, ahh, figures... you're a scam please cancel my order and refund me in full if you have charged it already. The guy was very rude and hung up on me. I had to call back again to get it cancelled. lol.. Don't do business with bway photo and always go to resellerratings.com before buying from an online store. Anyway, I reported those screwballs to BBB for false advertisement on the website.

Because of this I will only be getting the fuji. Sorry guys, no comparison unless I find a (USA) SD700 IS for a good price. They're pretty overpriced (from all the legit places) it seems.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Aharami
some sample pics - no processing done - just resize to 16x12
handheld nighttime shot. im not even gonna bother posting a similar pic i took with my S3. waay too blurry
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/aharami/DSCF0016.jpg
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/aharami/DSCF0032.jpg

trees and stuff
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/aharami/DSCF0161.jpg

beach - ISO 100. no noise whatsoever
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/aharami/DSCF0142.jpg

compared to an ISO100 daytime shot taken by my S3. Im REALLY disappointed by all the noise in the sky compared to the f31fd...to the point where im considering selling the S3 for an fuji f6000fd
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/aharami/IMG_0183.jpg

that last picture is hardly definitive proof that the S3 is noisy. more than 1/3 (beach and cloud highlights) are crazy blown out, so the darker sky is going to suffer in a SNR sense. you could probably take the same picture with proper exposure compensation and get a much cleaner looking sky.

of course, if you've observed this numerous times in numerous lighting situations, that's another story.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Steven T
Originally posted by: mc866

the slightly older f31 is much better. With the F40 you gain mega pixels but lose some options. The added mega pixels dont do anything since the sensor isnt able to handle them well anyway (needs to be bigger). As far as picture quality f31 is the better choice.

Guys.. The place I ordered the 2 cameras ended up being a scam! They emailed me to call in and verify my order and I quickly found out that they were trying to ship me inferior CRAP Chinese models (not usa version). I knew something was up when they asked, "would you like to add the upgraded battery?" and I was like "Uhh no, the f31fd lasts days on one charge". He then replied, "no, you're mistaken. It's only 35 minutes but for 80 dollars we can upgrade it to a high capacity battery." At that point I said, ahh, figures... you're a scam please cancel my order and refund me in full. The guy was very rude and hung up on me. I had to call back again to get it cancelled. lol.. Don't do business with bway photo and always go to resellerratings.com before buying from an online store. Anyway, I reported those screwballs to BBB for false advertisement on the website.

Because of this I will only be getting the fuji. Sorry guys, no comparison unless I find a (USA) SD700 IS for a good price. They're pretty overpriced (from all the legit places) it seems.

oh man. u fell for one of those "call to verify" places. file dispute with your CC immediately. from what ive read on resellerratings on these types of places, they almost always make it a nightmare to refund any charges back. take action immediately

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you should report them to the FTC and the NY AG's office. yes, they've heard those complaints before, but another just impresses upon them the fact that more agents needs to be assigned to those a-holes.

also, don't just dispute the charges with the CC, have that number cancelled. sometimes those places will take your CC on a spending spree, or sell it to someone else who will.

Steven T

Mar 4, 2007
Well, luckily I canceled my order before they were able to make any charges. I figured out that they were a BS company right away. Yah, I feel like a sucker almost for even thinking about putting in a order. I've never heard of these types of scam before, but now I know so i'll be extra cautious! :)

I don't understand how those people are not jailed. It's totally criminal. I can think of less harmful things people go to jail for.

Steven T

Mar 4, 2007
Originally posted by: ElFenix
you should report them to the FTC and the NY AG's office. yes, they've heard those complaints before, but another just impresses upon them the fact that more agents needs to be assigned to those a-holes.

also, don't just dispute the charges with the CC, have that number cancelled. sometimes those places will take your CC on a spending spree, or sell it to someone else who will.

Yup already reported them to BBB in NY.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Steven T

I don't understand how those people are not jailed. It's totally criminal. I can think of less harmful things people go to jail for.

they're actually very hard to crack down on because they make so many different little entities and they use their family connections to hide who actually is the owner. they also move from one place to another in brooklyn.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: SaoFeng
how does the f31fd compare to the new f50fd?

12 mp seems a bit too much for a compact camera. Although sensor is slightly bigger in the f50 than the f31 (1/1.6" vs. 1/1.7").

Steven T

Mar 4, 2007
12mp will only decrease image quality on compacts. The f31fd is a VERY delicate and fine balance of MP and sensor. People are saying get the f31fd while you still can because the f50's aren't going to compare in terms of image quality. It's oficial, fuji has jumped ths stupid pixel race for low quality images/uninformed consumers who think mp is the only thing to look for.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Steven TIt's oficial, fuji has jumped ths stupid pixel race for low quality images/uninformed consumers who think mp is the only thing to look for.

yea, its quite sad actually that uninformed consumers dictate which way the market goes. enjoy your f31.

Steven T

Mar 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Canai
I have a TZ3 and aboslutely love it. I've been taking some crazy long exposure shots recently, but you can take a look at this thread to see a few pics (at half quality) of what I've taken. The really amazing ones are still on the cam, but I have no way of getting them off (I'm on vacation and didn't pack my cable).

I know this was a long time ago but I just got a TZ3 to compliment my f31fd! got a sweet deal that I couldnt pass up. Looks like if you're going to go with a compact combo, having these 2 is the best way to roll. best of the worlds :)