Hard shifting between 1st and 2nd (2005 Mazda3 Automatic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
When shifting from first to second (its an automatic), second gear doesn't seem to grab, then with a clunk, the car lurches forward when second gear engages, usually 1/2 a second or so... I don't notice it with any other gear change.

Sometimes its louder than others, but its still very noticeable...

Any ideas?

This issue cropped up about 6 months ago, but then subsided for awhile, then returned this weekend with a vengeance....

My wife and I started driving, it hesitated between 1st and 2nd, then literally THREW us into second... My wife and I almost hit our heads on the dash (which is scary considering we had our seatbelts on)

I already called the dealer, gonna drop the car off overnight tonight. I thought i remember creating a thread months ago about it, but I cant find it.

2005 Mazda3s Automatic
Almost 70k miles

Thread closed due to necro-bump.

Zenmervolt - AnandTech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
spidey07 gives you a good starting point. There is usually a vacuum hose that goes to a "shift modulator" on most automatics, that if it's leaking or disconnected will cause the exact problem you describe. Not sure if the Mazda autos have it. Some are strictly computer controlled.....

Bob

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
But if it was low on tranny fluid, would it stop clunking after its warmed up?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
But if it was low on tranny fluid, would it stop clunking after its warmed up?

The only time I was in a car where the tranny lost fluid (overheated and boiled out), the symptom was that the tranny slipped, but there wasn't any clunking at all. YMMV.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Just got off the phone with the dealer...

They said my tranny fluid looks like sludge :D Gonna get that flushed... They are 99.9% sure its the cause of the problem.

Rear brakes were almost gone (3mm left) and my air filter was old, so I had both of them done as well. They also said my Injector Valves had carbon buildup on them and wanted to clean em, but I told them to hold off on that.. From what I can tell its not a necessity and I'm already spending $500 on the car.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
A change and a filter should have already been done atleast once anyway.

The mazda service rep said they are usually done somewhere between 50-75k miles on an mazda auto tranny, so i'm not that far out.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
back home from the dealer... In a surprising note, it all came out to be $150 cheaper than he originally quoted... They even stayed open late to make sure my car was done tonight as promised, all in all very impressed with the dealer.

Tomm will be the big test, to see if the "clunk" is gone.

BTW, thanks everybody for the help.

wes3180

Nov 11, 2013
I have a 2005 Mazda 3 and it is shifting the same way. When it's cold, I start the car and the number on the day displays 1st, and then into 2nd, but about 1-2seconds later, it actually shifts and it is jerky. 3rd and 4th are fine. Did the transmission flush work? Or did the PCM/ECU update work? I don't want to waste money at the dealership if the PCM didn't work.
Thanks!

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. I'm locking this thread because the thread had not had a reply for several years prior to your post.

Our members refer to such posts as "necro" posts, and some of them tend to post replies ranging from sarcastic to hostile, including possible accusations of spamming, whether warranted or not.

You are welcome to continue posting on our forums. Thanks for understanding. Sorry for any inconvenience. We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Zenmervolt - AnandTech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.