Hard Liners Declare Victory in Iran Elections

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
from Foxnews.com

It looks like the hard liners are doing the same thing that the Chinese ruling oligarchy is. Economic liberalisation, without concurrent human rights and democratic reforms, all seemingly aimed at maintaining thier privelages and power.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
from Foxnews.com

It looks like the hard liners are doing the same thing that the Chinese ruling oligarchy is. Economic liberalisation, without concurrent human rights and democratic reforms, all seemingly aimed at maintaining thier privelages and power.

Every ballot especially in America needs a None of the Above option

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare
from Foxnews.com

I believe a lot of people in Iran did that by just not showing up. Problem is, that puts the conservatives in power by default.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
the low turn out realy shows that change will happen in Iran in the next few years

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003

I believe a lot of people in Iran did that by just not showing up. Problem is, that puts the conservatives in power by default.

True. Still, I can't say I blame them for refusing to vote. It's hard to vote when you know or suspect most if not all the candidates running being corrupt or working for the Guardian Council in some way.

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar
the low turn out realy shows that change will happen in Iran in the next few years

Yeah, change is bound to happen, and from the way things are looking, it could be very soon, maybe only a few years away.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
from Foxnews.com

That's like protesting guns by dropping off your gun cabinet in an inner city. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but anybody with an IQ higher than a rock could see how retarded it is. Hate to say it. but the people of Iran had it coming by protesting in this incredibly stupid way.

Hopefully during the next election, they can decide on someone who will make a change and then vote for him. Ideally they can do it without a revolution, but if some of the Mullahs and fundies die...would it be that horrible of a loss anyways?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
That's like protesting guns by dropping off your gun cabinet in an inner city. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but anybody with an IQ higher than a rock could see how retarded it is. Hate to say it. but the people of Iran had it coming by protesting in this incredibly stupid way.

Hopefully during the next election, they can decide on someone who will make a change and then vote for him. Ideally they can do it without a revolution, but if some of the Mullahs and fundies die...would it be that horrible of a loss anyways?

hopefully during the next election elected officials will be able to exert some actual authority and make a change, but it's doubtful. they can't do it without the death of a lot of the fundies, from the ayatollah on down.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Iran's been going down the drain for a while. I don't see any real change happening, not with the Ayatollah getting the final say in everything. They made a mistake of letting reformers gain control once, they won't let it happen again.