hard error, explorer.exe

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've never heard of a "hard error". Does the error message actually come up and say "hard error"? Does the OS boot? Does the user shell (Explorer.exe) then just quit, and re-start, or refuse to start, or the OS shuts down, or what? Curious about this.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is this the same system you recently posted about having malware and viruses on it, the one you wanted to migrate to Linux Mint, or the one where you wanted to change start-up settings in Windows 8.1?

It's going to be interesting to see which one is causing explorer.exe to crash.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
"Unknown hard error" does exist, but can you post a pic of the error?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/4c0be311-c9d5-46e7-b352-c8656f5c0226?auth=1
But there is not nearly enough information in your post to even begin to tell you how to fix it. What version of Windows? How old is the install? What model computer (or what parts)?

When I first read your post, my first thoughts went to malware/virus. Judging by what UsandThem posted, that is a definite possibility.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I don't know what you consider a "long time", but if has been over a week and you still can't get rid of the malware:
1. backup
2. format
3. re-install

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't know what you consider a "long time", but if has been over a week and you still can't get rid of the malware:
1. backup
2. format
3. re-install

+1

I recognized the username because I have seen it many times over the last several months in this sub-forum. I believe this all started in May. It's time to do what Ketchup suggested, and I think I even suggested the same thing in one of your 'virus' posts back in July.

You just reach a point where continuing to manually try to fix your OS becomes counter-productive and a waste. I've had machines in the past get nasty malware/viruses, and while there are many utilities out there that can get rid of most of them, sometimes your OS is left a in mess and you get weird crashes and behavior.

pegasis

May 17, 2014
easier said than done, would take many days to do

would be nice if the OS and bios were a LOT simpler for the user, ASUS bios is very complicated, and getting boot option in windows 8.1 is hit and miss

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Viruses will make their way into restore points. If a virus has been on your computer for several months, going back to a restore point won't do anything to get rid of it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't think that was the question I asked?

It might not have been, but it's the one you should ask because Ketchup is correct.

When using restore on Windows 8, it will keep your personal files (and likely the malware and viruses too).

You have been at this since May. It's time to do what Ketchup suggested: Backup, format, reinstall.

People here can walk you through installing Windows 8 with an Asus motherboard a lot easier than figuring out what the malware and viruses did to your OS.