Hard drives dying on new system build

Traxan

Jun 5, 2005
I've got some odd behavior going on...

About four months ago I built a new system. Core i7-8700, 16GB of RAM. I reused the HDD D: drive for storage and GPU card and used a new SSD, an OCZ Vector180.

Since then, the D: drive, a HGST 2TB drive with a very good reliability rate, died. It became impossibly slow at reading data. I knew what that meant and swapped it out. The new one works fine.

Now tonight the SSD got suspiciously slow. AS SSD reported a 4k read of 18.88mb/s while writes of 89.2mb/s and an error during the Acc.time test of "Could not open device: \\PHYSICALDRIVE0."

Two dead drives in four months? Something is not right. But what could it be?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I remember shopping around for Vectors, and despite the glowing reviews boasting about how OCZ had vastly improved their failure rate, I saw plenty of complaints about drive returns on NewEgg and suchlike.

Unless your PSU is doing bad things to anything connected to the SATA power cables, I suspect that you're just having a run of bad luck.

Traxan

Jun 5, 2005
Well... bad luck would be better. It sure sucks. I went back to an old PC, a Haswell, and boot time went from 38 seconds on the 8700 to 28 seconds on the 4770, and the 4770 has a WD Blue SSD, which is not the high performance drive.