Hard Drive with XP on it... "read/write-protected" folders on C:\Documents and Settings\username

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
I have a laptop HD that "died".. I connected it to an enclosure and plugged it to another computer.

I need to access C:\Documents And Settings\Username on that HD, but it says its write-protected. I know the Username and Password... so how do I access those files?

-tpg

Jan 31, 2002
Right-click the drive, go to Properties - Security - Advanced - Owner. Click your local admin account or the Administrators group, check "Replace owner on subcontainers." Hit OK twice, and go make a pot of coffee or something while you take recursive pwnership of all files.

Once it's done, you have full control.

- M4H

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Or you might be able to boot from a Knoppix live CD and be able to access files that you couldn't while running under Windwoes. Much faster than the above method if it works and doesn't take long to find out.

.bh.

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Right-click the drive, go to Properties - Security - Advanced - Owner. Click your local admin account or the Administrators group, check "Replace owner on subcontainers." Hit OK twice, and go make a pot of coffee or something while you take recursive pwnership of all files.

Once it's done, you have full control.

- M4H

Works, thanks. To get to the securty tab you just have to go to control panel, folder options, view, and uncheck 'use simple file sharing (recommended)'