Hard drive problem on old laptop.

evilpanda

May 20, 2014
Hi,

One of my friends dropped his laptop and now every time he tries to turn on windows XP he gets the BSOD. I ran The HIREN boot CD and did a couple of tests which clearly stated that the HDD has many bad sectors in the first couple of minutes. As soon as i noticed that I stopped the process and decided to ask the people in the forums. My question is what can I do to recover the DATA. There are some really important files on there that I really need. The HDD has a total capacity of 90GB. I stopped scanning at 3.01% when I noticed that there were already like 13 bad sectors. What can I do. The files are all that is important. Any help is appreciated.

d33pblue

Jul 2, 2003
Pull the laptop's hard drive and use a USB to 2.5" hdd reader and see how much of the data you can pull off the drive onto a good computer. I would not try to recover the data off the hard drive while it's still in the busted laptop.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Pull the laptop's hard drive and use a USB to 2.5" hdd reader and see how much of the data you can pull off the drive onto a good computer. I would not try to recover the data off the hard drive while it's still in the busted laptop.

Or install it in a desktop, or use a HDD cradle (I have one for stuff just like this.)

If it immediately starts throwing up bad sectors again, stop and seek professional help!

phis6

Apr 1, 2014
If the drive contains some valuable data then you should definitely stop tinkering the drive to avoid further damage and take necessary measures to clone/image the drive. I suggest you clone it with ddrescue in Linux and then recover the files you need from the clone/image drive you got.