Hard drive prices

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
last word from suppliers / manufactures, Christmas.

edit: "reasonable" I think was ment to be mid year.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They were already way below what should be normal pricing, I have a feeling we wont see those prices again for a very long time, at least not until bigger drives come out to make the existing ones cheaper. Ex: when 4TB drives are mainstream, then the 1,2 and 3TB will be the price they were before. At least that's my guess.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
HDD prices will be like gas prices from now. The market has been tested with high flood prices...

Any time there is a 5% chance of rain in Thailand HDD prices will go up 500% due to speculation...

HDD makers know they have been giving away too much too fast for too little... it's time to start milking the golden goose while there still is a HDD market, because eventually SSDs will catch up in capacity and price and destroy the HDD market for good.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004

you mixed the signals there brother.
It will be Tuesday, September 4th 2013.

In all seriousness... OP, HDD prices will most likely never be as attractive (relatively, not in terms of $/GB) as they were before the flood, since alternative storage media is set to kill it in the forseable future.
As for when we will see the same $/GB ratios, that is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I hear the world ends on either a Caturday or a Monday.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Prices are definitely being held up by system manufacturers and manufacturers of value-add products that contain hard drives snatching up any available stock of OEM drives. You can see this if you look at the bizarre situation of sales flyers right now with portable hard drive and external drive prices below bare OEM drives for the same capacity.

Impossible to say when the supply will finally meet demand, but it'll definitely come down in the coming months.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
To make matters worse, the Thailand flood impact is now being felt in sales of Intel chips.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I'm probably gonna hold off on buying HDDs for as long as I can. If demand goes down so will the prices.

General Kenobi

Sep 29, 2011
I heard there's going to be a big sale on April 1st, they're counting on everyone disbelieving it and only a few people showing up. And the location will be randomly selected by a paper shredding rhesus macaque.

I need another external 1TB USB3 HDD, but I can't afford one now... the waiting game is on.

brocks

Nov 3, 2009
It'd be hard for me to pay that, knowing I could've gotten it for $45 six months ago.

Me too. The articles say prices are up 30% over last year, but if you bought them on sale last year, the prices are up more like 300% now, because there are no good sales.