Hard Drive now not showing in W7 64bit

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
One of my hard drives have dissapeared from my computer and is only visable under computer managment/storage and is healthy according to it.
It doesn't have a letter associated with it. How do I get it to show up?

phis6

Apr 1, 2014
You must assign a drive letter for your drive in Windows Disk Management for the drive to be visible in your Windows File Explorer.

Last edited:

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
It is not letting me, the option is grayed out-it reports that it is a healthy partition though
I don't want to do anything to it other than to get it to show up as it has information on it.

Last edited:

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
it is showing up normal in device manager
it just does not have a letter assigned to it.

Last edited:

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
does anyone know what to do? I can't assign a letter to it because that option is grayed out in disk man.
The only option that it is showing that I can do is delete volume and I don;t want that, I have important stuff on there.
I just tried to uninstall it from device manager then scan for hardware changes and it detects the drive but does not assign a letter!

Last edited:

HOSED

Dec 30, 2013
If no one has a better idea, I would create a live Ubuntu Flash drive (or DVD) and backup your data to another drive. Once everything is backed up, load windows, delete the volume, format it, then restore the data.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
Boot into Ubuntu. Once you have the desktop loaded launch Nautilus (the second button on the left side) to access the drive.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Clone the drive to a new drive (raw mode), then run Repair-bde on the new drive, and I hope you have your key, if not, your SOL.