Hard drive mystery?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by ingeborgdot, Nov 22, 2012.

1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Golden Member

I just recently built a new computer and used a couple of hard drives for my different storage drives I have used in the last two I built. I followed the same steps as before but have run into one little glitch. After I restarted my computer after putting them in they now are part of the safely remove hardware section. I should say two of them are but one of them is running like normal. What did I do wrong? What info do you need me to give.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Hard drive mystery Forum Date
    When do you think we will see Helium filled 2.5" hard drives? Memory and Storage Monday at 4:15 AM
    How long do you think we will see desktops having 3.5" hard drives for primary storage? Memory and Storage Thursday at 11:28 PM
    Old WD VelociRaptor compared to recent hard drives Memory and Storage Sep 20, 2017
    Hard Drive issue, not sure what else to try. Memory and Storage Aug 14, 2017
    Mysteriously fried hard drive Memory and Storage Mar 31, 2011

3. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

Why do you think anything is wrong ?
    That is normal, since SATA drives support hot-plugging.

4. dave_the_nerd

You said just one of them is in the list for device removal?

Is it on a RAID-enabled port?

5. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Golden Member

I figured it out. The two were in the inferior gray ports and not one of the 6 black ones that are controlled by the Z77 chip.

6. Auric

Auric Diamond Member

More precisely, different controllers and driver combinations are presented differently. Presumably the gray ports are on a third-party controller from the likes of Marvel, JMicron, ASMedia, and so on. Even Intel controllers are presented under "Safely Remove..." if the generic Microsoft driver is used.