Hard drive mounting... does it matter?

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I updated my rig with a new mobo, and because of where the IDE port was I had to move my HD to a different rack. The only spot in the rack I could move it to was the bottom of the rack.

Now in the past I have always mounted My HD in the top or middle of the rack. So now the bottom of the harddrive is about 1/8" away from the bottom of the rack. The rack is metal.

I am wondering if this could be a problem for the HD. I can hear it a bit more now than I could before. Nothing is touching anything, but I am wondering if heat could be causing a problem or something like that.

Of course it may not matter even in the slightest and I am just making up things because I am crazy.

Thoughts?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Most guides and I think manufacturers recommend mounting drives one slot apart for heat dissipation. However, if you have to stack them densely, I doubt there'd be much of a problem, I mean, there ARE slots in the case to do so. Worst case scenario, hard drive gets a bit warmer, but then that only points to a poorly ventilated case. If it gets to the point where the HDD exceeds 55C, something else must also be wrong. IIRC, my HDD is on the bottom rack, and it's been running fine for over a year.

As for sound being louder, probably just sound reflecting/amplifying off the metal plate so close to the bottom. This is likely causing more vibration too.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
It is mounted one drive space below another drive. I think it will be fine. The difference could also be that before it was lower in the case now it is closer to ventilation.
Thanks for the info guys.