Hard Drive Failing,, Or???

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
Odd problem here.
Within the past a 2 weeks, desktop pc did some windows updates and also Acronis updates to Acronis 2016.
Since then, pc seems to be running slower then usual.
Also,,, (this is want bothers me) When I power up the pc, it freezes on bootup.
The machine is a 7 year old Dell Inspiron, intel quad 4 with 8 gig ram. Unit was bought as "refurbished" with new warranty from Dell.
When the machine starts, the Dell logo shows, then the line at the bottom goes half way and stops.
Using the power off button, I power the unit down, power on again and unit still freezes on bootup.
I unplugged the unit for a minute, plugged it back in, turn unit on and it starts normally.

Could this be the hdd is starting to fail??? Or,,, did the update to a newer version of acronis 2016 cause a problem??

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If the PC is 7 years old, and you never replaced the HDD, then yes, it could easily be failing.

When it boots into Windows, do you experience "pauses" using your programs? Does the mouse freeze for a split-second?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If you can get into windows, run CrystaldiskInfo (portable version, free), and see the SMART status of the HD.

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
HI
Posted yesterday but for some reason the post doesn't show here.
I cloned another hdd for a backup.
After cloning, keeping the old hdd in the pc,
After cloning the new hdd, I noticed that the power connector was not on the old hdd all the way. I re-eseated the connector and the pc booted up as it should every time I did it.
But,,, After sitting all night, when I powered up the pc in the morning, it froze on bootup.
There are two hdd running on the same power connector. (Main hdd and a second 1 tb for extra storage)
Gonna unplug the second drive and let the pc cool down then power up. (thinking the p/s is getting weak)
Today, I downloaded SeaTools from Seagate and ran every test included in the SeaTools. Hdd passed them all. It did show the firmware is out of date and needed to be updated. (gonna pass on that for now)

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
Sorry for the confusion.
Cloned drive is NOT in the pc. I made the cloned copy for backup insurance in case the original one fails.
The pc has two 1 tb drives. The boot drive and a second drive just used for storage, etc.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Sorry for the confusion.
Cloned drive is NOT in the pc. I made the cloned copy for backup insurance in case the original one fails.
The pc has two 1 tb drives. The boot drive and a second drive just used for storage, etc.
Change the PSU:(