• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Hard drive copy and reassign drive letter - failing HD, cannot clone

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I have been trying (via Acronis True Image) to clone and backup my data and programs drive. OS (Windows 10) is not on this drive. Unfortunately there must be bad sectors as it fails. Chkdsk /r also fails about at the 1% level (just continues to boot into Windows). Seatools says that it fails the short test. Cannot get the USB tools to work.

I am currently using Teracopy to copy all the files and folders over. As an example, my Steam library is on the drive and most programs that I don't care if they launch quickly.

There is nothing on the drive that I need to have or could not download again.

Can I copy this over to a new drive and then remove the old one and change the drive letter on the new drive to the existing one and all the programs will work? The copy will flag the files that fail so I will have a list.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have been trying (via Acronis True Image) to clone and backup my data and programs drive. OS (Windows 10) is not on this drive. Unfortunately there must be bad sectors as it fails. Chkdsk /r also fails about at the 1% level (just continues to boot into Windows). Seatools says that it fails the short test. Cannot get the USB tools to work.

I am currently using Teracopy to copy all the files and folders over. As an example, my Steam library is on the drive and most programs that I don't care if they launch quickly.

There is nothing on the drive that I need to have or could not download again.

Can I copy this over to a new drive and then remove the old one and change the drive letter on the new drive to the existing one and all the programs will work? The copy will flag the files that fail so I will have a list.
to fix this issue you need hdd recovery/repair software such as Spinrite.

I had the same problem cloning a client's hdd. I used spinrite on it and it took several hours to temporarily fix the drive. I cloned the drive and everything turned out fine.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
to fix this issue you need hdd recovery/repair software such as Spinrite.

I had the same problem cloning a client's hdd. I used spinrite on it and it took several hours to temporarily fix the drive. I cloned the drive and everything turned out fine.
GRC - that rings an old bell, I remember them from when before I joined Anandtech ages ago. I had Shields Up! ages ago.

I am copying all the files now, but I definitely need to clone? Again - not the boot disk with Windows on it. Spinrite costs about as much as a new HD. If there was something crucial on the HD it might be worth it, but I mainly just want to save time re-DLing all the files.

Chkdsk and Seatools both fail.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
GRC - that rings an old bell, I remember them from when before I joined Anandtech ages ago. I had Shields Up! ages ago.

I am copying all the files now, but I definitely need to clone? Again - not the boot disk with Windows on it. Spinrite costs about as much as a new HD. If there was something crucial on the HD it might be worth it, but I mainly just want to save time re-DLing all the files.

Chkdsk and Seatools both fail.
you could try:

there are others and some are free. No guarantees though.

Good luck!

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Once, I copied everything on a data disk to a new disk. Then I uninstalled the old disk in device manager. Then I set the new disk's drive letter same as the old one had been. It worked fine, and to be honest, I never thought about it possibly not working :)
The old disk wasn't failing though. I just wanted a new disk to put the data on. Maybe I only got lucky?

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I was able to copy the entire drive except for one file onto my NAS. Deleted the bad file and trying a clone again.

ASK THE COMMUNITY