hard drive bottle neck in WoW

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
won't help, hard drives don't increase frames, only decrease load times.

deamer44

May 25, 2008
would it not reduce the stuttering? and speed up the overall desktop experiance (even outside wow)

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
The thing is, the hard drive is so slow compared to the ram that if a game runs out of ram and goes to the hdd for help you won't see stuttering, you'll see slideshows, <10fps and things like that

the stuttering from what i've understood(i don't play wow) is due to the view draw distance. Blizzard went a little overboard with it in some recent patch(or was it the expansion?). Reduce the draw distance and the shadows maybe and overclock your cpu, that's about it

deamer44

May 25, 2008
ok cheers, im having problem with my overclocking (the board/cpu hates it) would it be good for me to add more ram or?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: nosfe
won't help, hard drives don't increase frames, only decrease load times.

This isn't always true. Some shitty Xbox ported games try to keep a very small footprint in the memory and end up having to read from the hard drive over and over again. This is because an Xbox doesn't have a lot of ram, so stuff is typically loaded from the DVD then quickly dumped from memory when it's not in view. Kane and Lynch is really bad for this; the game pauses whenever I try to turn around.

World of Warcraft is not one of those games. I would guess that your comp is CPU limited. Try turning down the draw distance.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
the cpu is the problem here; remember that WoW is very very old so it barely has some optimizations for multicore processors. Basically, it loads one core as much as it can while barely using the second core, quad core is way overkill for it.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
I don't even think WoW uses 1gb of ram. The game is almost entirely CPU limited.

It does, but 4gb with a 64bit OS shoul dbe fine.

if the rig you are using is as described in your sig, it sounds like you are having a software problem. i'd try a defrag, check your HD free space, and do a clean reinstall of video drivers. Crank the shadow levels down in game, but you really shouldn't be having much of a problem with those given your hardware.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: deamer44
ok ill give it a defrag, any good programs for that?:D

There are programs but for now just use the built in windows. If this doesn't work stop your OC (cpu and videocard), see if that removes the choppiness. What are your temps?

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
Originally posted by: deamer44
ok ill give it a defrag, any good programs for that?:D

There are programs but for now just use the built in windows. If this doesn't work stop your OC (cpu and videocard), see if that removes the choppiness. What are your temps?

The top ones are: Diskeeper (Windows XP/Vista has a lite version of this). O&O Defrag and Raxco PerfectDisk.