Question Hard Disk not detected

Danebi

Apr 7, 2020
I tried to install Linux Mageia on a partition in my hdd but I may have done something wrong with the partition and now, not only I can't start Mageia but when I start the computer it takes much longer to start and when it starts windows I can't find the disk with all my files. I tried to check in diskpart but there wasn't nothing, I also tried checking in the BIOS but it didn't detected the disk. Is it a problem of the disk or something else?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I tried to check in diskpart but there wasn't nothing, I also tried checking in the BIOS but it didn't detected the disk.
So, if there "wasn't nothing", that means that there WAS "something", right?

And if BIOS isn't detecting the disk, either you bumped a cable, the cable went bad, or it is... dead.

Try powering-down, unhooking the drive or all of your drives (Remember which SATA port(s) that they were plugged into!), and then re-plug them, preferably with new SATA data cables (they can go bad).

See if it's detected then. If still not detected in BIOS, make sure that the SATA port isn't set to DISABLED.

Consider doing a CLEAR_CMOS (power-down, use the jumper on the board, remove jumper (if 2-pin), then power-up the board again. Maybe the CMOS just got corrupted somehow by booting that Linux distro.