Happy Veterans day. Why did Congress create the Marines when there was already an Army?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Origin of the Marines but it doesnt say why:

The United States Marine Corps was established on November 10, 1775, to augment naval forces in the Revolutionary War. The recruiting headquarters was set up by Capt. Samuel Nicholas in the Tun Tavern on Water Street in Philadelphia, which is considered to be the birthplace of the Marines.

After success in many campaigns, the Corps was abolished at the close of the Revolutionary War for reasons of economy.
On July 11, 1798, Congress ordered the creation of the Corps, named it the United States Marine Corps and directed that it be available for service under the Secretary of the Navy.

And before Congress, why did the Navy create the Marines when there was already an Army???

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

To augment naval forces. It's about comand and control. Easier to just have Navy have it's own landing troops than coordinate with Army.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

To augment naval forces. It's about comand and control. Easier to just have Navy have it's own landing troops than coordinate with Army.
then why doesnt the army have it's own air force jet planes for air cover?

as for the navy having it's own ground troops for landings:
Why call them a different name?
why not train navy guys just the basics of a ship then train these special forces to fight on land?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

why not train navy guys just the basics of a ship then train these special forces to fight on land?

You are gonna have to ask USMC for the details. Bottom line, they are Navy's rapid response team.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

You DO know that the Air Force used to be the US Army Air Corps...right?

The Navy wanted its own fighting force that could be deployed without having to wait for army troops to be transported from where ever...so they created a separate department...The MEN'S Department.

As a Marine, I was oft reminded that "Marine" was just an acronym for:

"My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment."

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
You DO know that the Air Force used to be the US Army Air Corps...right?

The Navy wanted its own fighting force that could be deployed without having to wait for army troops to be transported from where ever...so they created a separate department...The MEN'S Department.

As a Marine, I was oft reminded that "Marine" was just an acronym for:

"My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment."
um.. i was today years old when i learned the air force used to be part of the army.
now i need to find out why it was separated.
and why the marines werent separated from the navy and merged with army for modern times?

also, it was college when i found out the marines were under the navy.
until then, i thought all 4 branches were separate from one another. (and that you send in the marines first into combat for fodder :eek: )

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
um.. i was today years old when i learned the air force used to be part of the army.
now i need to find out why it was separated.
and why the marines werent separated from the navy and merged with army for modern times?

also, it was college when i found out the marines were under the navy.
until then, i thought all 4 branches were separate from one another. (and that you send in the marines first into combat for fodder :eek: )
Once you being to read up on it, the answers to all of those questions will become obvious. ;)

the_battle-400x376.png

Jon-T

Jun 5, 2011
The US created the marines in 1799 for the same reason the UK created the royal marines in the late 1600s. To have soldiers on ships. Sailors sail the ship and the marines depart the ship to Attack!

Having a marine force for the navy to deposit was a standard practice dating back to the age of sail. The Dutch created their marines in 1665 and they were deployed in the 1667 raid on Medway where the Dutch landed in England and stole part of the British Royal navy.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The US created the marines in 1799 for the same reason the UK created the royal marines in the late 1600s. To have soldiers on ships. Sailors sail the ship and the marines depart the ship to Attack!

Having a marine force for the navy to deposit was a standard practice dating back to the age of sail. The Dutch created their marines in 1665 and they were deployed in the 1667 raid on Medway where the Dutch landed in England and stole part of the British Royal navy.
ahh.. so colonial US copied uk's military structure.

i'm assuming the role of the marines have changed from only beach head and amphibious assault type landings?
ie: no longer only leaving from ships to attack such as the iraq war?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Presumably the early marines were the guys on ships with muskets fighting off attempts at boarding, that one sees in the Pirates of the Caribbean and other "Age of Sail" dramas?

Dec 10, 2005
At least early on, part of the role of the marines was to serve as a ship-board garrison to protect the officers and perform tasks off the ship, such as shore landings. But lest we forget, the US Army also participated in beach landings, so it's not like shore landings are a unique concept to the Marines.

Now-a-days? Seems like we're paying for a second army with an additional and distinct set of procurement and toys.