Happy Saturday AT P&N - Trump's Most Savage Moments.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And yard signs. Don't forget the critical importance of yard signs!

Hahaha, always a critical component of any campaign. I’m sure next election the smart candidates are ditching their candy ass pollsters and will by hiring full time yard sign people.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Hahaha, always a critical component of any campaign. I’m sure next election the smart candidates are ditching their candy ass pollsters and will by hiring full time yard sign people.

You guys act as if you won the 2016 election while you tell yourself how right you are. You just don't get it and reality is passing you by.

http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2016/11/trump_on_path_to_upset_clinton.html

http://wesa.fm/post/after-upset-election-pa-pollsters-mull-what-went-wrong#stream/0

The polls do not capture enthusiasm for a candidate. There are probably more people willing to vote for Trump today than before, his base cannot wait to show you. Again.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You guys act as if you won the 2016 election while you tell yourself how right you are. You just don't get it and reality is passing you by.

http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2016/11/trump_on_path_to_upset_clinton.html

http://wesa.fm/post/after-upset-election-pa-pollsters-mull-what-went-wrong#stream/0

The polls do not capture enthusiasm for a candidate. There are probably more people willing to vote for Trump today than before, his base cannot wait to show you. Again.

Yes, I’m sure his approval rating has declined about twelve points since he came into office because so many more people want to vote for him. Also, this again shows how clueless you are. Polls absolutely capture enthusiasm for candidates, it’s an integral part of their likely voter models. The national polls were more accurate in 2016 than they were in 2012, by the way.

You’re clearly becoming more and more defensive as people keep piling on you this is just like the gun thread where you were reduced to declaring that statistics don’t count. If you want to tell yourself that someone with a 38% approval rating is secretly becoming more and more popular then enjoy your comforting delusion.

People don’t like Trump because they never liked him much to begin with and he turned out to be incapable of handling the job. It’s okay to admit that he’s just not smart enough or hard working enough to be president. It’s a hard job, lots of people aren’t good enough to do it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
That's just silly nonsense.
Nope. Trump intentionally appeals to the folks who can't feel good about themselves unless their boots are on somebody's necks. And as an added bonus, he's thrown in liberal necks for them to step on.
It's a very appealing political strategy, proven successful over and over again throughout history.
You probably complained that soft-spoken "Obama was the most divisive POTUS ever!" while you laugh as Trump calls half of America "haters and fools." What do you suppose the reason for that is?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Nope. Trump intentionally appeals to the folks who can't feel good about themselves unless their boots are on somebody's necks. And as an added bonus, he's thrown in liberal necks for them to step on.
It's a very appealing political strategy, proven successful over and over again throughout history.
You probably complained that soft-spoken "Obama was the most divisive POTUS ever!" while you laugh as Trump calls half of America "haters and fools." What do you suppose the reason for that is?

It is crazy how you guys only seem to see through a partisan lens. I think Obama was too passive in general, but I liked him and am happy to have had him in office. Relatively scandal free, repaired our economy - or atleast didn't do anything to screw up the recovery (somewhat, there are still problem areas.... workforce participation immediately comes to mind). I really liked that he let non-violent offenders out of prison early, that is something I strongly believe in - not imprisoning people for what they put into their own body. I think the ACA is highly flawed, but at least he put it on the table so now we have to decide as a nation what to do about healthcare. I really didn't have a problem with most of what Obama did, hell, even my 2A rights mostly expanded under him.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It is crazy how you guys only seem to see through a partisan lens. I think Obama was too passive in general, but I liked him and am happy to have had him in office. Relatively scandal free, repaired our economy - or atleast didn't do anything to screw up the recovery (somewhat, there are still problem areas.... workforce participation immediately comes to mind). I really liked that he let non-violent offenders out of prison early, that is something I strongly believe in - not imprisoning people for what they put into their own body. I think the ACA is highly flawed, but at least he put it on the table so now we have to decide as a nation what to do about healthcare. I really didn't have a problem with most of what Obama did, hell, even my 2A rights mostly expanded under him.

Ok, then we agree on all that (except for the bit about workplace participation, but that's another discussion). I'm not particularly partisan. But, if you're being truthful, you're obviously not the typical Trump supporter. Most of them are very strongly against all of those things, and refuse to see how their 2a rights expanded during Obama.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I don’t think that’s what’s happening here. Trump knows he is historically unpopular. He also knows he has a lot to hide. I think he’s latched on to his base in a death grip because he knows that’s the only thing that stands between him and impeachment or worse.

Trump was playing the heel long before he got elected and had to worry about being impeached.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ok, then we agree on all that (except for the bit about workplace participation, but that's another discussion). I'm not particularly partisan. But, if you're being truthful, you're obviously not the typical Trump supporter. Most of them are very strongly against all of those things, and refuse to see how their 2a rights expanded during Obama.

I am all those things, truthfully. I am not a 'murica truck driving redneck Trump supporter type, if that's what you're getting at. I simply see him as the better of two bad options we had, and so far he's, with some exceptions, doing an alright job. I think the bar was set low, but he's at least so far doing better than the low bar expectations.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

The polls were not wrong. What went wrong was the pollsters' interpretation of the polls. They kept saying that Hillary was going to win in a landslide when all the polls had her projected margin of victory within the margin of error. That depressed swing voter turnout, as many independent voters decided the outcome was more or less predetermined. Trump played heavily to this too.
The Trump base might be enthusiastic, but you overestimate their numbers. Voter turnout was so low in 2016 that Trump won the election with fewer votes than Romney lost it just 4 years earlier. Again, low voter turnout was how Trump won.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The polls were not wrong. What went wrong was the pollsters' interpretation of the polls. They kept saying that Hillary was going to win in a landslide when all the polls had her projected margin of victory within the margin of error. That depressed swing voter turnout, as many independent voters decided the outcome was more or less predetermined. Trump played heavily to this too.
The Trump base might be enthusiastic, but you overestimate their numbers. Voter turnout was so low in 2016 that Trump won the election with fewer votes than Romney lost it just 4 years earlier. Again, low voter turnout was how Trump won.

Clinton, 11 point lead in MI.

Clinton, six point lead in WI.

A majority of polls I saw all were claiming Clinton was going to win in states she did not win. Hell, MSNBC was showing how she might get 363 electoral votes.

And yea, I agree with the point I think you are making, and that I am making with my comments about yard signs. Hillary Clinton did not enthuse her base the way Trump enthused voters. Despite the polls being very wrong, one could plainly see an organic ground game building steam behind Trump. Yes, yard signs, FB friends (my friends are a good mix and "Liked" Trump at a 3:1 ratio to Hillary), crowd sizes, just talking to voters. The polls were all wrong, they do not work with this candidate. All those yard signs were telling.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I am all those things, truthfully. I am not a 'murica truck driving redneck Trump supporter type, if that's what you're getting at. I simply see him as the better of two bad options we had, and so far he's, with some exceptions, doing an alright job. I think the bar was set low, but he's at least so far doing better than the low bar expectations.

For sure that bar was set low. I don't agree that Trump is doing a better job than Hillary would have. However (and this is going to piss some people off), I do believe that America will end up better off because Trump was elected. But not because of him, but in spite of him. Which I believe is exactly how he likes it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Clinton, 11 point lead in MI.

Clinton, six point lead in WI.

A majority of polls I saw all were claiming Clinton was going to win in states she did not win. Hell, MSNBC was showing how she might get 363 electoral votes.

And yea, I agree with the point I think you are making, and that I am making with my comments about yard signs. Hillary Clinton did not enthuse her base the way Trump enthused voters. Despite the polls being very wrong, one could plainly see an organic ground game building steam behind Trump. Yes, yard signs, FB friends (my friends are a good mix and "Liked" Trump at a 3:1 ratio to Hillary), crowd sizes, just talking to voters. The polls were all wrong, they do not work with this candidate. All those yard signs were telling.

Cherry picking individual polls is always going to lead to inaccurate findings. You're just making the same mistake that MSNBC did. While your anecdotal bit about yard signs is even worse. The left coast city that I live in has an anti-Trump sign in nearly every other yard, but you'll never see me using that as proof of anything.
To stop talking past each other though, I'll concede your point that Trump supporters were more enthusiastic than Hillary supporters. Because that is true. My point is that Trump supporters did not (and still do not) have the sheer numbers to win except by depressing Democratic voter turnout. The polls still work for Trump. Just not in the way you think. And Trump does cause people to be enthusiastic, but both for and against him.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Just like the Tuesday before last, you mean like that?

I think you need to keep up these predictions of yours here all the way up through at least November of next year. Stick around.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I think Trump is what a lot of deeply emotionally immature people aspire to be: A loudmouth bully. It's appealingly cathartic; a salve for all of the times they've felt helpless or dumb or worse. Wouldn't it feel great to just yell at people to get what's inside out?

Don't get me wrong; it's also incredibly pathetic. But I understand it, I think.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The first clip was making a joke out of a litany of slurs toward women. What kind of mind does it take to react with a joke when faced with that? And it doesn't look like he was flummoxed either. Disgusting.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump is going to use his supporters like a rubber and toss them out. Except this time, liberals don't give a shit about their problems either, and are going to to make them reap what they sow. Back to the opioids, it will be over soon.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Ah.... I was wondering where the Legend Killer sock puppet went... Has resurfaced as Slow Spyder. If only all of you and your ilks sock puppets could vote... Trump won't even be alive in 2020 to run again...

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The first clip was making a joke out of a litany of slurs toward women. What kind of mind does it take to react with a joke when faced with that? And it doesn't look like he was flummoxed either. Disgusting.

Bahahahaha. "a litany of slurs towards women" Hilarious.