Happy Father's Day!

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I don't really say much about my dad. No Facebook posts from me wishing him a great day. Seeing as how he's been gone since 1999 I don't really think of him as much as I used to. I do have a lot of fond memories with my father, but having me when he was 44 and the last of 11 kids I probably didn't get as much personal time as some of my older siblings.

The thing is, my dad was racist. As a kid it didn't bother me, half my family is. I have brothers that still tell n word jokes and think it's funny. Typical Catholic upbringing I guess, I was strongly encouraged to go to church, but my parents never went. My father was more concerned with going to the bar after work, and letting mom stay home and raise the kids.

I only knew he was bigoted etc. when he would watch the news, he would mumble things out loud to himself about "psalm-singers and breast beaters" (sorry if that's offensive folks) meaning people of color. He also hated gay people, but I suspect he was not exposed to different people much during his life. He never really got out much.

My mother was the opposite, her favorite actor was Sidney Poitier, and she was a live and let live type of woman. She viewed people with a innocent eye, never any pre-judging from her. I like to think I have more of her characteristics than my father's. I don't know how they got along so long really. My mother did not like my father's bad habits like that.

I think my father would be a big Trump fan, although my father was not openly a POS like Trump is. My father was honest and hard working, his perceptions I think were just from the news or word of mouth, he never really had much exposure to people of color. Maybe meeting other people would have changed him, I dunno.

I don't know really why I typed this up lol. I guess it bothers me on some level that he had that hate in his heart, and I try to be exactly the opposite. Perhaps because I know ardent Trump supporters that I always thought were good people, and now I see how they really think deep down and it disappoints the hell out of me. These 4 years, if they end in a few months, will forever change my perceptions of some people. I don't know what to say except it would be great in my lifetime to see and end to the bigotry and hate, but I really doubt it.

Happy Father's day to the fathers on here! I have no kids, but 4 dogs. I try to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am :)

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Before anyone here chimes in with a “wrong forum”, allow me to wish you a Happy Doggfather’s Day to you sir.

Reactions: nOOky