Hanns-G HH-221HPB + HD4670

mtnboydl

Jul 6, 2007
Hey all,

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer:

I built a computer for my sister last month, and have been in a battle with the monitor to work properly. It is the HH-221HPB from Hanns-G with a native resolution of 1920x1080, and I am using the ATI HD4670 video card.

Here is the problem: When the monitor is plugged in via HDMI, it doesn't fill up the full screen. There are black bars on all four sides of the screen so the desktop (image) is smaller than what the monitor landscape has. Another Newegg user posted a similar problem and I'll quote his post here:

"I could have a bad one, but this monitor behaves very oddly. In VGA mode auto-adjust does not work properly -- it scales the picture incorrectly every time, requiring regular position and size adjustment. In digital mode it's even worse. For some bizarre reason, it almost never allows the picture to take up the full screen, downscaling it to about 80% size. I have adjusted every single setting possible and can not fix this, although it has fixed itself once with no explanation, only to revert to the scaling on the next reboot. Because of this scaling, not only is screen real estate wasted, but the monitor's native resolution is distorted and blurry as if it were non-native."

If that doesn't quite make sense, please ask for more clarification.

If it is plugged in with VGA, it just freaks out and keeps trying to auto-adjust. I sent it off to Hanns-G and they said they can't duplicate the issue, so they sent it back. Is it the monitor or is it the video card?

I am running Windows 7 on the system, and it has the updated W7 drivers for that video card.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated...I'm pulling my hair out as we speak...

mtnboydl

Jul 6, 2007
Also...When she changes over to 1680x1050, it fills up fine. Even though the native resolution for that specific model monitor is 1920x1080.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: mtnboydl
Hey all,

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer:

I built a computer for my sister last month, and have been in a battle with the monitor to work properly. It is the HH-221HPB from Hanns-G with a native resolution of 1920x1080, and I am using the ATI HD4670 video card.

Here is the problem: When the monitor is plugged in via HDMI, it doesn't fill up the full screen. There are black bars on all four sides of the screen so the desktop (image) is smaller than what the monitor landscape has. Another Newegg user posted a similar problem and I'll quote his post here:

"I could have a bad one, but this monitor behaves very oddly. In VGA mode auto-adjust does not work properly -- it scales the picture incorrectly every time, requiring regular position and size adjustment. In digital mode it's even worse. For some bizarre reason, it almost never allows the picture to take up the full screen, downscaling it to about 80% size. I have adjusted every single setting possible and can not fix this, although it has fixed itself once with no explanation, only to revert to the scaling on the next reboot. Because of this scaling, not only is screen real estate wasted, but the monitor's native resolution is distorted and blurry as if it were non-native."

If that doesn't quite make sense, please ask for more clarification.

If it is plugged in with VGA, it just freaks out and keeps trying to auto-adjust. I sent it off to Hanns-G and they said they can't duplicate the issue, so they sent it back. Is it the monitor or is it the video card?

I am running Windows 7 on the system, and it has the updated W7 drivers for that video card.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated...I'm pulling my hair out as we speak...

Install CCC and play with the monitor settings.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Catalyst Control Center. Download the latest drivers and install it.

Henrah

Jun 8, 2009
CCC = Catalyst Control Center of ATI cards. Link for CCC+driver download.

I'd suggest downloading the CCC package that includes the display driver, just to be sure you have the latest.

Originally posted by: mtnboydl
Also...When she changes over to 1680x1050, it fills up fine. Even though the native resolution for that specific model monitor is 1920x1080.

That's odd... 1680x1050 is 16:10, whereas 1920x1080 is 16:9. Knowing that a 16:10 ratio fills up the monitor just fine, I suggest trying 1920x1200, also 16:10.

Hope it works :)

TaylorD

Diamond Member
May 13, 2000
did you ever get this fixed? I have a 24.6" hanns-G hooked up via HDMI to a HP Laptop. It runs 1920x1080 filling the whole screen, but when the computer goes to sleep or the monitor turns back on after being turned off or in low power mode, the 1920x1080 is scaled down, looks like shit, and has black bars on all sides (picture does not fill the screen)

the only solution I have found is to disable the monitor in the catalyst control center, then enable it. nothing else works. I would barely call this a solution so much as an added pain in the ass.

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
I had a similar issue with my hans-g HF289H. I actually had to go into the menu on the monitor and change it from 16:9 to 16:10 I have no idea how or why it was changed but it solved my issue at least.

mtnboydl

Jul 6, 2007
Originally posted by: TaylorD
did you ever get this fixed? I have a 24.6" hanns-G hooked up via HDMI to a HP Laptop. It runs 1920x1080 filling the whole screen, but when the computer goes to sleep or the monitor turns back on after being turned off or in low power mode, the 1920x1080 is scaled down, looks like shit, and has black bars on all sides (picture does not fill the screen)

the only solution I have found is to disable the monitor in the catalyst control center, then enable it. nothing else works. I would barely call this a solution so much as an added pain in the ass.

The suggestion that I saw for the problems with sleep mode all said that you have to plug the monitor into a non-computer HDMI source and then go into the options. The odds are that your monitor is set to "video mode" and not "pc mode"

Give that a shot and post back up if that works

I ended up RMA'ing it with Newegg who was great about the whole thing, even though Hanns-g was inept and retarded.

My sister now has a 23.6" Asus that I am hopelessly envious of...

TaylorD

Diamond Member
May 13, 2000
still have the same problems (but with an HH251hpb, 24.6") ... its a real pain to have to do this every time i turn the computer on or wake it up...

Last edited:

TaylorD

Diamond Member
May 13, 2000
Now its worse. Installed windows7. The monitor always has black bars around a fuzzy (non-native, scaled down 1920x1080) display.

When I make a change in the catalyst control center, both the monitor and the laptops built in LCD go dark, and cannot be turned back on without a hard reset of the computer. Nightmare.

TaylorD

Diamond Member
May 13, 2000
Fixed. It defaults to "underscan" by 10% for some odd reason. You can change it in CCC by clicking "configure" from the menu that pops up from the triangle pointing down on the icon for the external monitor (the explanation length alone makes me wonder why ATI made it more complicated in the latest version of CCC)

rackley

Aug 8, 2004
Wow, thanks a million for posting the resolution for this. I have to say it's REALLY annoying ATI has this bug.

I swapped out an NVIDIA GPU for this ATI 4890 and the first thing out of the box is some obscure setting bug that makes the primary display look like crap. Hmmm..