Hanns·G HH-281HPB Black 28" 3ms HDMI Widescreen broken

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Hi guys, I have the monitor below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254043

Last night when on my computer I went AFK to talk to my gf, and I believe the computer got to the point where the power saving would kick in (about 10-15 minutes). I was sitting at my computer, and instead of kicking into power saver, the monitor faded to white. Over the period of about 2-3 seconds, the monitor just slowly faded into a pure white screen. I sat there scratching my head. I thought it was the computer so I did the CTRL-ALT-DELETE, etc and nothing happened, so I hit the power button and rebooted. The computer seemed to acknowledge my command. The monitor stayed white except when I rebooted it did go into standby mode and turned off, but when it powered on to BIOS, all white screen. So I unplugged the monitor HDMI cord, power to the monitor and let it sit all night. This morning I turned on the monitor without it plugged into the machine. All white. I tried to get to On screen controls, all white, no menu appeared. Changed HDMI ports, all white...

In other words, it's broken. Looking at at the manufacture site:

Question: What is the warranty period of Hanns.G monitors?
Answer: All Hanns.G LCD monitors carry a three-year limited parts and service warranty, one-year LCD/panel warranty, from the original date the product was purchased. You will be required to provide proof of the original purchase date to obtain warrant service.

Now my question is, is my panel fried or the monitor itself based on the white screen? The monitor is about a year old, but if I can't get them to fix it for free, then I will just go buy a new one.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
Hey I have a Hans-G and I love it, but it is a POS in many ways. It's my second one in a row to have the HDMI input die. I just run it through the D-sub no biggie, but it was cheap as hell and you get what you pay for. It is a pain in the ass to do their warranty process. Shipping monitors isn't cheap.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
That doesn't sound too good. I wonder if their is an authorized repair shop for them in my area that I can drive it to. (I did that with a Toshiba in the past) And they would honor the warranty at the shop. But I'm guessing no but it doesn't hurt to call them and find out.

Thanks.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
I thought of getting a HannsG 22 or 23" LCD myself.

Now, since this thread, I'm thinking maybe I should just shell out the extra bucks for a Samsung.

jmmyz14

Jul 11, 2008
I also have this monitor (bought from Costco) and it works great for me. However, the monitor has issues with certain video card drivers- I'm looking at you Nvidia!

Because I have it hooked up via a DVI-Hdmi cable, Nvidia drivers detect it as a TV. Therefore, when it goes into power saving mode or whatnot, it fails to send the "put it into standby mode" signal properly. I had to use a reg-hack to do that.

I'm not sure what your problem might be, but it might be helpful to know what type of video card you're running. ATI seems to power down the monitor just fine, Nvidia has consistently given me troubles.

Edit:
Oops, looks like in your signature you are running an ATI card on your main PC. Is this the machine that the monitor is on?

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
jmmyz14, it seems your past misfortune has nothing to do with brandonb's problem.

The key here is "monitor is about a year old". Is it or isn't it a year old? This is crucial to establish if it might be a panel fault, I would contact them right away if it is under one year from purchase as you don't "have" to send it back after receiving the RMA, can always just let that elapse while you decide what to do.

Then there is the question of what they call the panel. To some it is the whole modular screen with electronics board. To others, board not included. Besides it you have the power supply and an input board.

It could be the input board, or the panel, or even the power supply if it is failing and that dirty power is jamming up the logic on the other boards, but I would suspect the input board most of all which should have the 3 year warranty - but I am not certain of it and would hate to have you assume 100% that is the problem.

Last edited:

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I will see if I can dig up my receipt. I always save them for my computer components but the issue being... Where did I place my reciept, it could be in my computer bin, my paper bin, etc. I bought this monitor as a christmas present to myself last year so i typically buy things the last week before christmas so it should be just short of 1 year that I've had this monitor, as I probably only have a week or two left on my warrenty. I will dig it up today and call them tomorrow. Thanks. :)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If you bought it online, many retailers might have an online copy of the receipt.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Boo! I found my receipt, and it was dated 11/28/08. :(

But looking at their website it now states under the RMA section:

Hannspree LCD Monitors— 3 Year Warranty to include Parts, Labor, and LCD Panel (other than those excluded below)

So their website contradicts itself. I called customer service but got a busy signal. :) I will try again later.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
man, now im slightly worried this might happen to me lol. i happen to have one of these panels and i love it! almost got a second on black friday when newegg had em on sale for $260

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Hi all, don't mean to necro my own thread, but I finally got my monitor back from RMA.

They said in my return email that they found the problem and fixed it and confirmed it worked. But when I opened the box (not the one I shipped in) it had cables and everything. I'm like odd, I didn't send in my cables. It looked like a brand new package... To make a long story short, they gave me a brand new monitor as if I bought it home from Best Buy. Different serial number and all.

I like Hannsprees just a bit better now!

bloodugly

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2004
I tend to look at "budget" monitors in this way....I pay this price assuming I get a year of display. If I get more, great, if not, then I'm not really bugged by it. I've bought these kinds of monitors on sale/rebate at 90-150, so I don't really mind if I only get a year out of it. However, I tend to only use budget monitors in non-everyday/high-use situations, so they've all lasted more than a year.