Hannity on GOP: “It is a dead party. They are morally corrupt... weak... ineffective... vision-less"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He's not bashing Trump. He's bashing the establishment Republicans. He's telling the audience what they want to hear. Whoever watches Hannity likely believes Paul Ryan and others are no different than the Democrats. It sounds pretty similar to when Limbaugh said he was tired of carrying the water of the GOP.

From Boehner's recent interview:

"But you know, who was that right-wing guy, [Mark] Levin? He went really crazy right and got a big audience, and he dragged [Sean] Hannity to the dark side. He dragged Rush to the dark side. And these guys—I used to talk to them all the time. And suddenly they’re beating the living shit out of me.”"
Trump is just as much an establishment republicans as any of them. hes the wolf in a tiger outfit.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
On some issues. But he also basically argued for universal health care and no cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and SS.Also didn't go with a flat tax like the rest.

The dumbshit can barely string together a coherent sentence much less a sophisticated position on anything.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The Republican party is a party of mean nasty and resentful people full of self interested status seeking self congratulatory egotists, finger pointing boobs whose self inflicted state of inner misery drives them to endlessly tear down and malign everything around them, including their own kind. They eat their own babies, in effect. They are a mass psychosis that will rise to a crescendo and eventually collapse and rise again. This will happen over and over because some people are too fucked up to look at themselves and change. Denial is but fear of reality. Republicans are tough blustering cowboys so as to mask their cowardliness.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump is just as much an establishment republicans as any of them. hes the wolf in a tiger outfit.

I don’t really see that at all. As far as I can tell he has no principles or ideology beyond self enrichment and feeling loved, powerful, or feared. I’m pretty sure if tomorrow every republican resigned and were replaced by a Democrat he would be perfectly fine with signing their policies too so long as they carved out an exception for him on any tax increases.

How could he even have much of a preferred policy? He doesn’t know enough to have that. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if today he couldn’t explain large parts of the tax bill he’s pledged to sign.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
So this may come as a great shock to some of you, but I actually used to listen Hannity and Colmes back in 2002'ish. I did a lot of driving and it was something that was regularly on when I was working. Sean Hannity of 2002 is not the Hannity of 2017. Back then he was actually a some what more reasoned alternative to Rush Limbaugh and a little more of a traditional conservative.

Now...he's just a full blown conspiracist nut completely fueled on hysteria and bullshit. He traded away actual political banter for just pushing complete partisan hackery. So yes Sean, you have changed. Just like your party and you are one of the primary catalysts of it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So this may come as a great shock to some of you, but I actually used to listen Hannity and Colmes back in 2002'ish. I did a lot of driving and it was something that was regularly on when I was working. Sean Hannity of 2002 is not the Hannity of 2017. Back then he was actually a some what more reasoned alternative to Rush Limbaugh and a little more of a traditional conservative.

Now...he's just a full blown conspiracist nut completely fueled on hysteria and bullshit. He traded away actual political banter for just pushing complete partisan hackery. So yes Sean, you have changed. Just like your party and you are one of the primary catalysts of it.

In my experience with listening to him in the mid 2000’s thanks to being in the military and then working in the defense industry Sean Hannity is whatever the conservative base wants at the moment. Back then the base was trying to convince itself they were principled libertarians and troop lovers. Now the base is conspiracy nuts. If tomorrow they decide they hate Trump and love Mitt Romney then Hannity will rediscover his love for markets and lose the nuttery.

From my recollection Hannity has winked at the fact that he doesn’t actually believe a lot of what he says, that he’s playing a part. I have little doubt he’s quite conservative but he’s also so unprincipled that I don’t think he cares that much about his personal ideology carrying over to his shows.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
In my experience with listening to him in the mid 2000’s thanks to being in the military and then working in the defense industry Sean Hannity is whatever the conservative base wants at the moment. Back then the base was trying to convince itself they were principled libertarians and troop lovers. Now the base is conspiracy nuts. If tomorrow they decide they hate Trump and love Mitt Romney then Hannity will rediscover his love for markets and lose the nuttery.

From my recollection Hannity has winked at the fact that he doesn’t actually believe a lot of what he says, that he’s playing a part. I have little doubt he’s quite conservative but he’s also so unprincipled that I don’t think he cares that much about his personal ideology carrying over to his shows.

I think that's the case of most of the loonacy fringes of conservative media. Hell, Rush brought in Elton John to sing at his wedding. Imagine that, Ditto Head in chief and his rants about LGBT lifestyles eroding away our rights going out and having a gay man provide a personal serenade. Yeah, true moral convictions there.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Republicans haven't turned on trump. You can probably count on one hand the number of Republicans that are so fed up with trump and what he's turned the party into that they left the Republican party.

Unless they remove themselves from their party, they are complicit in its choices and the direction its heading.

For Christ sakes, we have Republican leadership on record as saying they are ok with a pedophile being elected because they need the votes.

Yeah, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over which democrat can bash republicans more. I'll give you the crown for being more partisan than me.

In any event, the point of my post was that Hannity deserves no credit for saying the GOP is a corrupt party when what he stands for - the direction he would take the party - is even worse than current GOP establishment, and that is saying a lot. And his principle criticism of the GOP is that sometimes its members dare to criticize Trump, a man who Hannity thinks should canonized and never criticized for any reason. Saying that Hannity came to the right conclusion for the wrong reasons is overly generous. When Hannity says "corrupt, weak, ineffective" he means something entirely different than what you and I mean when we say things like that.

Last edited:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's gotta be hard to be a Republican right now. Who knows what life after Trump will be like.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
lol this coming from the guy that pushed around the seth rich conspiracy theory... yeah ok

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Hannity always bends which ever way the conservative wind is blowing. When dubya was President he could do no wrong, when Dubya was no longer popular he claimed I’m not a republican, I’m a conservative. He’s just a willing mouthpiece for whichever republicans are in vogue.