Handbrake Avengers DVD but can't play on iPad.....

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
So I had a last minute thought that I'm trying right now.....but assuming it doesn't work, (updating to itunes6) ripped avengers DVD with DVD fab, then handbraked using the iPad presets and after 8 friggin hours of decoding, I went to drag it over (mind you it worked fine with Tron), iTunes gave me the message, "this file cannot play on this iPad" to which I replied Faaaaaaaauuuuuuuuu......!!!

The only things I did before Handbraking was I did "movie only" and I unticked the directors comments audio and the hearing impaired (subtitles). The movie and regular 3/5.1 audio I left.

Anybody know why it didn't work before I lose another 8 hours of decoding again?

TIA

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
What file format did you use?
I have a 3.67gb mp4 720p Blu-ray rip in my HP Touchpad. Used Xillisoft Converter Ultimate the m2ts file.
Don't recall using 8 hours to convert, more like 2 1/2 hours.

Shouldn't the movie be available at iTunes, like Prometheus was released last week?

img3504uf.jpg

Last edited:

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Only reason it takes so long is I use the old P4 2.4 desktop for this stuff. It has the most storage and everybody else in the house uses iPads or Touches.

Handbrake's iPad preset uses MP4 format (as .m4v) and H.264 codec.

And I was wrong. I only dropped those other 2 audio files (director's commentary and hearing impaired w/ subtitles) when I decrypted it in dvdfab. After that, Handbrake was one click & go. (I usually don't mess with Handbrake if the preset looks good)

???

EDIT: I'm wondering now if it *might* be the decryption and not the encoding. DVDfab now trials with DVDCopy and Decrypter is not readily available until that expires. I might have gone too fast and just "copied" leaving dvd files still encrypted unknowlingly. Since I'm still in trial period, I'm letting DVDfab's DVDripper do an "iPad format" rip to see if it'll produce an mp4/m4v that will drag onto iPad. Will post asap" (sigh)

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not a fan of the default player. Too fickle, to limited. Could try CinXPlayer, which supports most common formats except MKV. It's $4.

Flex: Player used to be the best free play-all out there after the VLC port got removed. Unfortunately a recent update has completely FUBARed the app to the point where it's no longer functional. They're supposedly fixing it according to their website.

VLC is still available on Cydia for Jailbroken devices. Problem is you have to mess around with SSH or use a program like iFunbox or iFile to transfer videos over. Doesn't work through iTunes drag and drop.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
:( No joy! Still didn't work. Dvdfab did a nice job and did it all in 2 hours but still......."avengers.m4v was not copied because this movie cannot be played on this iPad."

With 2 attempts in the books, lots of googling and no luck, this is really quite frustrating.

I'm gonna try one more time in handbrake with the "normal" preset as it appears some have reported better luck than with iPad presets. Of course that would make the whole idea of presets a flipping joke but I've seen stupider.

Feb 25, 2011
I had a lot of trouble ripping Captain America. It used a different kind of copy protection, played fine off the disc but handbrake couldn't deal with it.

I ended up torrenting it... :\

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I had a lot of trouble ripping Captain America. It used a different kind of copy protection, played fine off the disc but handbrake couldn't deal with it.

I ended up torrenting it... :\

This is why I try to get the ones with the bundled iTunes copies.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Man this is really getting old.

So the wife bought "Taken 2" and from a deal off fat wallet the other day, I downloaded Winxdvd platinum which is supposedly a 1 click solution. Bzzzzzzzzzt! Wrong answer. Well, I should say it did its job and the UI is quite simple. BUT....

"Taken2 was not copied to iPad because this movie cannot be played on iPad!"

I literally want to just kill everyone in the media industry. Starting with apple, then the Riaa, then mpaa, then Sony.....and did I say apple?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
So I had a last minute thought that I'm trying right now.....but assuming it doesn't work, (updating to itunes6) ripped avengers DVD with DVD fab, then handbraked using the iPad presets and after 8 friggin hours of decoding, I went to drag it over (mind you it worked fine with Tron), iTunes gave me the message, "this file cannot play on this iPad" to which I replied Faaaaaaaauuuuuuuuu......!!!

The only things I did before Handbraking was I did "movie only" and I unticked the directors comments audio and the hearing impaired (subtitles). The movie and regular 3/5.1 audio I left.

Anybody know why it didn't work before I lose another 8 hours of decoding again?

TIA

Some of the newer movies have tricky encoding (like a zillion fake files instead of one main movie, which results in a long encode time and an unplayable movie like you experienced). Just use MakeMKV instead: (free)

http://makemkv.com/

It's a few extra steps, but it gets the job done!

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Apple products have always been weird about exactly which h.264 Profiles they officially supported to the point where I had to maintain two sets of everything...one with full quality and one just for my apple stuff. In my experience the only way to guarantee that a file will work with Apple stuff is to use the Baseline profile and just forget about using anything better. I'm not sure about your iPad, but my iphone 4S can't even play videos created by the Handbrake Normal which is ridiculous.

Maybe that's not the case with the latest Apple stuff, but until someone proves otherwise Apple gets a C- from me when it comes to multimedia support. Even Apple TV is kinda iffy on codecs.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Some of the newer movies have tricky encoding (like a zillion fake files instead of one main movie, which results in a long encode time and an unplayable movie like you experienced). Just use MakeMKV instead: (free)

http://makemkv.com/

It's a few extra steps, but it gets the job done!

I recently saw using this as a way to watch Blu Rays on your computer, but what do you end up with when you run a DVD thru??

Do you have to, then, run it thru handbrake to be able to transfer to your iPad thru iTunes?

Or can you just run once thru MKV and put on iPad?

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
have you tried encoding the audio as well?

try remuxing your file into a new one, with just video only. then you can determine whether you have bad video encoding or not.

*if you don't know what remuxing is:
- mux means to combine
- remux means to recombine
- you take out your elementary (raw stream) of video and audio, then mux them back into a new file (but in this case, i'm only asking you to just mux the raw video back into a new .mp4/.m4v, no audio)

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
I didn't but I'm not sure it's the problem. (Both Handbrake and WinXDVD's presets account for best-case scenario.....I believe they just use AAC audio to be most apple friendly).

I also read about using a hex editor to change a file based on the first post in this thread.....

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2391597?start=15&tstart=0

......however, I couldn't find the same string that author is talking about so wasn't able to do any changing. (When you read that 1 byte of data screws up the party, that's pretty sad, no?)

Then there's this, but I start drowning when I read this page.....

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/watching-videos-taken-max-roundup-mkv-mp4m4v-video-converters

Why oh why does it have to be such a PITA!

As a last resort, I think I remember "chapters" being a problem. I'm wondering if I eliminated those during the Handbrake or WinXDVD process that would help, but I'm away from home right now so would have to wait til tonight.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
I didn't but I'm not sure it's the problem. (Both Handbrake and WinXDVD's presets account for best-case scenario.....I believe they just use AAC audio to be most apple friendly).

I also read about using a hex editor to change a file based on the first post in this thread.....

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2391597?start=15&tstart=0

......however, I couldn't find the same string that author is talking about so wasn't able to do any changing. (When you read that 1 byte of data screws up the party, that's pretty sad, no?)

Then there's this, but I start drowning when I read this page.....

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/watching-videos-taken-max-roundup-mkv-mp4m4v-video-converters

Why oh why does it have to be such a PITA!

As a last resort, I think I remember "chapters" being a problem. I'm wondering if I eliminated those during the Handbrake or WinXDVD process that would help, but I'm away from home right now so would have to wait til tonight.

Oh okay, if it's converting it to AAC, then that's fine. Kept thinking it was still AC3.. haha

Biggest problems I've ever had when encoding video for iDevices was framerate and ref bframes.

To put it simply: FORCE a framerate (23.976 or 29.97), and use no bframes to be safe (you can start experimenting increasing it to 1 or 2 to see if that's the problem). Also, for encoding, h264 Main Profile @ 4.0 is "safe" enough for most iDevices..

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
And there again, I still think that Handbrake (and I'm assuming WinXDVD since they have even more options than Handbrake and list 1 of them in each category as "RECOMMENDED") makes as much of a fail-safe for encoding as humanly possible.

Framerate
codec
video
audio
etc.

It just sucks unripened lemons that Apple sucks so hard as to do this. I know for a fact, since both Handbrake and WinXDVD versions won't play but play just fine otherwise in Windows that if I could GET them on the iPad, they would play juuuuuuuust fine. There's some little tiny hiccup that Apple enjoys being just enough of a PITA about, to screw up the party. A-HOLES!!!!!

Last edited:

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
And there again, I still think that Handbrake (and I'm assuming WinXDVD since they have even more options than Handbrake and list 1 of them in each setting as "RECOMMENDED") makes as much of a fail-safe for encoding as humanly possible.

Framerate
codec
video
audio
etc.

It just sucks unripened lemons that Apple sucks so hard as to do this. I know for a fact, since both Handbrake and WinXDVD versions won't play but play just fine that if I could GET them on the iPad, they would play juuuuuuuust fine. There's some little tiny hiccup that Apple enjoys being just enough of a PITA about, to screw up the party. A-HOLES!!!!!

Haha, sorry :D If you want, you can "split" part of the file and upload like a 5 sec clip. Then I (we?) can introspect the file to see what "failsafe encoding" Handbrake used. I only know how to split files using Windows, so not sure how you'd do it in Mac...

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I recently saw using this as a way to watch Blu Rays on your computer, but what do you end up with when you run a DVD thru??

Do you have to, then, run it thru handbrake to be able to transfer to your iPad thru iTunes?

Or can you just run once thru MKV and put on iPad?

Make MKV creates a raw uncompressed MKV file from the DVD which you can then put into handbrake and convert to whatever format you wish.

Any reason why you cannot just leave handbreak on the normal setting and play it natively on the iPad?

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Make MKV creates a raw uncompressed MKV file from the DVD which you can then put into handbrake and convert to whatever format you wish.
Got it! That makes sense. So, I'd just be using MKV the way I use DVDDecrypter by DVDfab now as my ripper/drm-stripper.

Any reason why you cannot just leave handbreak on the normal setting and play it natively on the iPad?

Because it can't *get* to the iPad because iTunes won't let it. i.e. the wonderful iTunes message.....

"Taken2 was not copied to iPad because this movie cannot be played on iPad" (which is, of course, a line of bull)

Sephire

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2011
Decrypt the dvd. Open Handbrake, use the "Universal" preset. Locate the .MP4 file, drag and drop it to the iPad device directly inside the iTunes. Give it a minute or two to transfer.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Decrypt the dvd. Open Handbrake, use the "Universal" preset. Locate the .MP4 file, drag and drop it to the iPad device directly inside the iTunes. Give it a minute or two to transfer.

I'll certainly be willing to give it a try but why would the "Universal" preset work and the "iPad" preset not??

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
OK, now you wanna hear the best part??????????????

I brought my laptop to work. (Desktop is Dell P4 2.4, Laptop is Centrino 1.6 both running exact same WinXP SP3 and iTunes) and I drug the "Taken 2" .m4v copies made by Handbrake/WinxDVD onto a usb drive. I just booted up my laptop, drug one of the movies onto the laptop folder where I keep the ripped movies for *it*, drug & dropped onto my iPad in iTunes and guess what............I am now watching Taken 2 on my iPad.

So WHY in the name of the letter F will it work on my laptop and not on the desktop??

:mad:

Last edited:

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
You know what might scare me even more???

Is that there is no answer for this anywhere on the interweb!

How is that possible??

(FWIW, I just cross-checked everything on both computers now that I'm home and they are literally identical, even down to the advanced settings in iTunes.)

I hate (with the intensity of 1,000 suns) iTunes!