Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000

This actor actually looks and sounds the part. The actor they chose doesn't look or sound anything like Ford and actually got acting lessons during shooting the movie.

Reactions: blankslate

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
It looks like Star Wars, but it certainly doesn't look like Han Solo. Even worse, it doesn't sound like Han Solo watching the trailer, and the few lines he said certainly don't seem like Han Solo.

So batting one for four on this? I mean I'll watch it, but I think they would be far better off telling some new stories because this is going to be a hard pass for many people...

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
This actor actually looks and sounds the part. The actor they chose doesn't look or sound anything like Ford and actually got acting lessons during shooting the movie.

He was in Age of Adaline as the younger version of the character of played by Harrison Ford https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Harrison-Ford-Talking-About-Anthony-Ingruber-38144215
https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Harrison-Ford-Talking-About-Anthony-Ingruber-38144215.
He would have been perfect for this Han Solo movie, not sure why that other actor was chosen.

Reactions: blankslate

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Whether anyone likes it or not ... we are going to be force-fed (pun intended) Star Wars for the rest of our lives. When Disney bought out the franchise they had a plan to recoup their costs, and we are now seeing that come to fruition. Disney is over-saturating the market in an effort to max profit which ends up diluting the quality of the product. This effect can be evidenced by the fact that certain viewers within the market actually considered TFA and TLJ as "good" Star Wars.

And Disney will kill us with how much Star Wars we are going to get. Part of what has kept it "cool" for the public for so long was that we only got a small amount of movies in a very long time frame. There was always a mystery behind it all even with the EU. Now literally everything is going to be explained in a movie even the stupid design flaw in the death star that didn't need one. Every character that is popular is going to get their own movie. It's diluting the product. To me that's what happened to Star Trek, so many movies, TV shows, it dilutes what was there.

Reactions: dud

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
New trailer, looks promising.

Chewbacca is 190 years old at this point in time. Still young for a Wookiee, whose average lifespan is 400 standard years,

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Music is pretty bad.
While the trailer certainly gets me excited, I will state again that it's a story we need not know. It's never going to do "Han Solo" justice.

I will be there opening night.... as always.

Reactions: local and Sonikku

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I'm going to try to forget that it's a story about Han Solo when I watch it. Im just going to keep saying "Generic Star Wars" over and over in my head. Hopefully I won't be too disappointed then.

Reactions: local and Homerboy

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
At least the Comic Book Guys of the world will come to see it, just so they can say that it was the Worst... Star Wars... Evar!

Although it would have to be really bad to bypass the low bar set by the prequel movies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
And Disney knows that. People will say the right things (won't do Han justice, looks bad, etc.) but everyone will still go to the theaters to watch it.

Yeah - that's a given. I will say though that Disney I think is starting to overplay their hand a bit. They are saturating the market with Star Wars movies and it seems to me the public (at least those I talk to ranging from SW Super Nerds to casual observers to haters) all feel the same way "it's a little too much and too fast/frequent". The movies are no longer "events" when they are coming out every 12 months (or less in Solo's case).

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah - that's a given. I will say though that Disney I think is starting to overplay their hand a bit. They are saturating the market with Star Wars movies and it seems to me the public (at least those I talk to ranging from SW Super Nerds to casual observers to haters) all feel the same way "it's a little too much and too fast/frequent". The movies are no longer "events" when they are coming out every 12 months (or less in Solo's case).

Yeah, most of my friends aren't planning on seeing Solo in theater. I'm going to force some of them to see it with me, by ordering the tickets and taking them to dinner, but there's only so much I can do.

Much more excitement for Infinity War and Deadpool 2 around here...

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Meh I'm not in any hurry to see this. I may watch it in the theaters but that's just because I have movie pass. I definitely wouldn't pay extra to see this at all.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
ron howard generally puts together a good movie, i'm curious in how he does in cleanup duty.

i'm definitely more interested in this than the mess they're gluing together for the trilogy, but not by much.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
How many times will they try to create tension by putting Han/Chewie/Lando in mortal danger even though we already know they survive? That is one thing I liked about RO, very few people had to survive and none of them were major characters.

Reactions: Homerboy

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
lol I was told that the producers called in acting coaches in a panic to work with the lead.

I read that was because the original directors were going for too much comedy and when the producers watched the daily cuts thought it was the lead being bad at acting. Eventually the lead and others got the producers on set to see they were being told to act that way and that is when the original directors got canned.

Either way I am not feeling this actor as a young Han they should have used that guy in the vid a few posts up.

Feb 25, 2011
Honestly, the last trailer made it look pretty good.

If they just do an Oceans 11 style "heist" movie with Star Wars characters and a few obligatory CGI space battles, there's no reason it can't be pretty kickass.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The trailer didn't do anything for me, but that could be from the bad taste left in my mouth from watching 'The Last Jedi'.

I'll still watch it, but will likely wait until it falls to the discount movie theater here before it goes to Blu-ray.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Not really excited for this one. Sort of feels like another Marvel movie... Star Wars: The Avengers. Maybe one Star Wars-related movie a year is actually too much. I did really like Rogue One, though, but TLJ was terrible.

Reactions: Majes

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I been trying to avoid spoilers of all sorts. Want to fully enjoy the experience.

Decided to see Black Panther today. Only 6 bucks. (the water was 5 bucks)

Went out of my way to show up late. No luck. Saw the Solo trailer against my wishes. Spoiled everything. Think I may just skip it entirely.

Reactions: ZGR

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I been trying to avoid spoilers of all sorts. Want to fully enjoy the experience.
psst.. he dies decades later from a sword thru the gut.
but not b4 he becomes a General, marries a princess and (depending on source) has fraternal twins

Reactions: lupi