Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This does make me wonder what character they're going to do next for a "Star Wars Story" after Boba Fett.

Maybe they'll go over to the dark side and give us an origin story for Darth Maul or Jabba The Hutt :)

Or, they might go WAY back and give us a story on how Yoda became a Jedi badass. That could actually be pretty cool.

- It better be Kenobi. Doesn't have to be an origins movie, just a movie about his time on Tatooine.

The movie basically writes itself, with Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan:

A Yojimbo style western where Obi Wan has to play rival tatooine gangs against each other to prevent Mos Eisley/the Planet from raising the empire's attention (potentially exposing/harming Luke).

Reactions: Sonikku

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Now we are definitely getting into the Star Wars fatigue area because they are only content with having movies that are still connected to the mainline movies that we've known about for 40 years now with two side movies thrown in with stories we know already that no one asked for.

I don't think the number of movies necessarily matters. A good example of this would be Marvel where we've been getting at least one Marvel movie every year for the past 10 years... and that's just counting the ones directly from Marvel Studios. Although, what probably does help is that sequels are generally not created in tandem. They create other stories in between to give us a break from what we know before returning to it. Marvel give us at least two years between a sequel, and in some cases, it's about 3-4. (Thor The Dark World to Thor Ragnarok is the longest at about 4 years.)

Now, there are some differences here. The biggest difference is that Marvel movies are fairly self-contained stories... with the exception of Infinity War. I think Episode VIII has elements of that, but it's still a direct continuation of Episode VII. This is incredibly awkward when you use a different director who creates a continuation that arguably "feels different" than what came before it. Marvel's self-contained style allows them to create movies that are in the same universe/timeline yet they can feel completely different. A good example is the staunch difference in tone between Thor The Dark World and Thor Ragnarok. Arguably, that difference in tone isn't too much different from what we saw in Episode VII versus Episode VIII where the latter tried to be a bit "funnier". (Although, I did watch a good video earlier detailing how Episode VIII's funny bits actually worked against it as they tended to deescalate the tension.)

Now, what's wrong with Solo? Eh... honestly, even ignoring it as a Star Wars movie... it's just not a good movie.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I'd like to see an Obi Wan movie in the vein of American Psycho.

"Do you like Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes? Their early work was a little too new-J'izz for my tastes, but when Mad About Me came out in '77, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. They've been compared to the Max Rebo Band, but I think Figrin has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Hey Jar Jar!"

"There is a moment of sheer panic when I realize that Qui Gon's apartment overlooks the Sarlacc Pit, and is obviously more expensive than mine."

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
"Disappointing 'Solo' drops two-thirds of its audience in a week"

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...lo-drops-two-thirds-its-audience-week-n879676

""Solo: A Star Wars Story" is losing momentum quickly at the box office, even with a relatively quiet weekend free of any new blockbuster competition.

After an underwhelming launch, the space saga fell by 65 percent in weekend two, with $29.3 million from North American theaters, according to studio estimates on Sunday.

"Solo" has now earned $148.9 million domestically, which is still shy of "Rogue Ones" December 2016 opening weekend of $155.1 million and over $135 million short of where "Rogue One" was in its second weekend."

The article continues ...

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Force Awakens was part one of a three part story. Of course it's going to set up stuff that is going to need explaining. That what part one of stories do.

The problem with Last Jedi was that Rian Johnson, rather than running with what was already set up, said throw it all away, I don't like it, I don't care that this is supposed to be a continuation of a story, and basically did his own thing. Rian Johnson would have been fine doing his own Star Wars story with his own separate movie because it's obvious he does not care about moving along an extended story that was set up by someone else.

When you look at the writing credits of The Last Jedi, there is literally only one person to blame, it's Johnson. At least Abrams got help from a Star Wars veteran even if it was just a rehash we had already before.

The Force Awakens did set up stuff that needed explaining. Unfortunately none of it made any sense when one takes into account the previous movies. You blame Johnson for TLJ being a mess. That's fine. It was a mess. I just happen to think that TFA was even worse and left him with nothing to work with.

The directors are playing "Choose Your Own Adventure" with Star Wars. This is why we're getting absolute trash.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The directors are playing "Choose Your Own Adventure" with Star Wars. This is why we're getting absolute trash.

If it is true that we are getting absolute trash, then how do you explain the willingness of so many to pay so much ... for so little? Have we just been programmed to pay more for less?

Don't get me wrong, I tend to agree with what you are saying. The quality of the franchise declined with Clones and then really went in the crapper starting with the Force Awakens.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I hope Disney reboots Ep I-III using marvel studios.
then reboot Ep VII-IX.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
If it is true that we are getting absolute trash, then how do you explain the willingness of so many to pay so much ... for so little? Have we just been programmed to pay more for less?

Don't get me wrong, I tend to agree with what you are saying. The quality of the franchise declined with Clones and then really went in the crapper starting with the Force Awakens.

A lot of people have been programmed to enjoy thoughtless action flicks. That's basically what TFA and TLJ are. If you just watch for the action they are mostly enjoyable. If you actually think about anything that's going on then you end up disappointed.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Someone used AI-assisted editing to stick Harrison Ford's face on Young Han. Looks a bit Steve Martin-ish to me, but would have been interesting to see them do an entire movie that way:

Reactions: William Gaatjes

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

I didn't mind TFA (probably because my expectations were so low they actually beat them slightly), but everything since then has been kind of disappointing. Seems like everyone else (including Disney) has realized that too since they're slowing the hell down with all of these movies.