halp! HP Z600 and GTX670

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
one of our 3d guys at work has been asking for a GTX670 to test out for some of our workloads, we only use Quadro cards normally but if the consumer cards can offer greater or similar performance in some use cases then we can save an absurd amount of money on some of our workstations. (I realize that GK104 is terrible for compute and we'll most likely go with GK110 cards once they show up, but for now we'll just test how well a geforce card will actually work with our software and how well it'll stand up to the punishment etc.).

onto my problem, I have a HP Z600 workstation sitting next to me that I'm going to test the card in, right now it has a (sort of old) Quadro Fx 3800 which was factory installed and this card only needs one 6-pin connector, the gtx670 needs two*.
I cannot for the life of me find any free power cables inside this proprietary hellhole, there is a, well let's just call it strange, 4 pin molex that has two sata power connectors (for the optical drives) and a floppy drive power connector in serial and is then split into a free 4 pin molex and another floppy connector that powers a firewire pci card. personally I don't really trust this frankensteinian solution since this is still quite an expensive workstation and I don't want to have to explain to my manager why several thousand dollars just went up in smoke.

anybody have any ideas? I don't mind taking a risk but I'm looking for a little confirmation and support before I start to rival HP in silly workarounds.

*the gtx670 has a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector but three of the pins aren't used.