Halo is nothing like real combat

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Been playing Halo 5 recently. The enemies are pretty dumb, the weapons are more like nerf weapons, it is really bright and shiny, this game is essentially Super Mario World but with a fascist macho theme and a Scientology story.

Like, most video games the guns aren't really like guns. The guns behave like rubber band guns.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Really? I was sure the US Marines already had super soldiers equipped with MJolnir Mk4 armor and plasma rifles?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Halo is a science fiction video game.

FYI: when you're playing call of duty those XP boosts aren't featured in real life either. I much prefer games like halo over tactical bro shooters.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
All joking aside... I actually like Halo 5 quite a bit. The story is bonkers crazy and has totally lost me but the Warzone mode is fun. Larger scale battles/co-op against AI and other players is pretty much all I ever wanted from Halo.

The Requisition system is a little odd but the PvP and PvE is still fun nonetheless

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
" Halo is nothing like real combat "

Well there is some news. You mean like you don't really die when shot and stuff like you do in real combat?

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
You can't duck behind a box and wait a few seconds to fully heal up in real life? Someone needs to inform the troops!

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
All joking aside... I actually like Halo 5 quite a bit. The story is bonkers crazy and has totally lost me but the Warzone mode is fun. Larger scale battles/co-op against AI and other players is pretty much all I ever wanted from Halo.

The Requisition system is a little odd but the PvP and PvE is still fun nonetheless

The story is really bad so far. Not liking Locke and his fire team. this game feels too much like ODST which was the worst Halo.

Yeah, I get that It is a video game, but this one feels more like a generic corridor shooter than previous games. It seems much worse than Destiny. The auto aim seems much more blatant here too.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Honestly I think Halo is still one of the best feeling shooters out there... and once you accept that the original will not be topped it's a lot easier to enjoy.

I did like Destiny as well, to an extent, but the grindy-ness eventually made me quit.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Honestly I think Halo is still one of the best feeling shooters out there... and once you accept that the original will not be topped it's a lot easier to enjoy.

I did like Destiny as well, to an extent, but the grindy-ness eventually made me quit.

Yeah Bungie really makes awesome feeling FPS games(in terms of movement and gun play).

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Wait, isn't the title "Halo 5: Real Combat"? Because if it was that would be false advertising.

...No? Well I guess you have absolutely no point then.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I've never played any Halo campaign but have always felt Halo has some of the biggest skill gaps in PvP over other FPS. If computer players are boring, get into Arena and rank up.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
i don't care what anyone says those grunt mechs in H5 are downright hilarious.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Just beat Halo 5. This must be the worst Halo campaign I've played yet. Locke sucks, and worse he survives so we'll be stuck with Wesley snipes for a while.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013

If the AI were more than bullet sponge RNG, I might agree. However, Warzone's just a mess with very little skill involved.

I agree that the feel is good, but that's pretty much the end of it for me. Aiming and balance are good. AI is terrible. Maps are worse. Spawning is worse. Campaign is a joke. It's a strong core that had mountains of feces shoveled on top in a manner so profuse that it ruined not just that game, but my faith that there will ever be another Halo game that is any good.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
I'm sure that Tribes 2 is much more like real combat...with the rocket pack, and the skiing and the spinfusor.

The only Halo game I have played was the first, and that was on PC. It may be a master class FPS for consoles, but I didn't think it was as good on PC as games like Quake 2 or 3 or even Return to Castle Wolfenstein The above mentioned Tribes 2 was a very very fun game to play.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Most of the AI in H5 Warzone aren't bullet sponges... the bosses definitely are, however. From a skill standpoint, it's mostly knowing when to dodge, reload, and boost... which doesn't sound very impressive but Halo's trademark combat model still allows for satisfying headshots, melee kills, and the occasional outrageous grenade kill. I also like the additional ground slam and shoulder charge actions. Easy to use, but difficult to make them really effective. Idk, I think there is still some skill required in order to play the game well.

I tried to get into Gears 4 Horde mode, but it was slow getting into each match and the clunkiness of the control scheme was more cumbersome than anything. There were also players that were worse, and some that were far better than I. H5 was more leveled in that respect, but I still felt like I had some really good rounds, both PvP & PvE.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'm sure that Tribes 2 is much more like real combat...with the rocket pack, and the skiing and the spinfusor.

The only Halo game I have played was the first, and that was on PC. It may be a master class FPS for consoles, but I didn't think it was as good on PC as games like Quake 2 or 3 or even Return to Castle Wolfenstein The above mentioned Tribes 2 was a very very fun game to play.
I played both and yes compared to PC fps it's not great but it was awesome on console's. Console's at the the time hadn't had great fps games like Halo

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Most of the AI in H5 Warzone aren't bullet sponges... the bosses definitely are, however. From a skill standpoint, it's mostly knowing when to dodge, reload, and boost... which doesn't sound very impressive but Halo's trademark combat model still allows for satisfying headshots, melee kills, and the occasional outrageous grenade kill. I also like the additional ground slam and shoulder charge actions. Easy to use, but difficult to make them really effective. Idk, I think there is still some skill required in order to play the game well.

I tried to get into Gears 4 Horde mode, but it was slow getting into each match and the clunkiness of the control scheme was more cumbersome than anything. There were also players that were worse, and some that were far better than I. H5 was more leveled in that respect, but I still felt like I had some really good rounds, both PvP & PvE.

I wouldn't say those are...good counterpoints. The enemies that aren't bullet sponges are generally ones you can put down really quickly with a couple of headshots. Hunters, in the campaign, are a fun encounter with strategy. In Warzone, they're bullet sponges of the highest order. When they're surrounded, the AI just flails badly and dies quickly. Knights are a similar story--the fun and strategy die when they're surrounded and pelted grenades from all sides. The satisfaction of melee kills is also a new thing, IMO. It used to be mashing 'B' and trying to win that brawl in the older games, not exactly exciting. Assassinations have made melee more entertaining and satisfying, especially when paired with camo. The slam and charge, I find them awful. A traditional melee can be countered and made into a fun duel. The charge rips the shield and has a pretty strong knockback. So, in a lot of those terribly condensed maps (Tyrant, Truth, Regret) or anything with a lot of corner (basically every other map), you can go into a dead sprint at most any time, hit the melee, and win with a headshot. That's the definition of the crappy "twitch shooter" people have complained about CoD being for a long time. The slam has more risk in it, since it leaves you open, and I can say it's definitely less commonly used. I still don't care for its presence, though. If it weren't such a strong AoE, and the maps weren't so full of walls (meaning your teammates could help out on those enemies effectively), it would go over better. Torque (and its original variant whose name I forget) is a good example of decent map design that allows that mix of use and countering, I think. It's not a super-tight map, so you can spread out and have sight lines for distanced combat and assisting in those scenarios.

As for matchmaking quality, I found it to be totally awful. The idea of building a ranking solely on winning is terrible. Not replacing quitters in that scenario makes it even worse (looking at you, Rocket League match I just played 2v3 before coming here). On top of it, then putting a temp ban and doubly harsh negative ranking on you if you don't take that ranked walloping down 1-2 players, makes it one of the worst ranking systems I can recall. I've played some balanced games, sure. I've also played a LOT with results +15 for either side. Then again, so much of that can be pinned on terrible map design (once you control power weapons and the upper corner in Pegasus, the fight gets very one-sided, for example).