Halo 5: Guardians

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
So, who else got it? I'm installing now. I had a hell of a time at Best Buy (was first in line and it took 30+ minutes to get me my game because the system's a mess). They gave out a mask, and artbook, and a drawstring bag, the latter two which are pretty nice. I picked up the Chief controller a bit earlier in the night, it's decent.

Worried about this campaign after reading reviews, but I'm still excited. Just sucks my friends have school and work tomorrow (I've got Tuesday off), so I'm flying solo overnight.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Even though I picked up the MCC, not really even interested in this one. I might get it once it hits the $20 or less mark.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I pre-ordered it from amazon because they were giving $10 off to prime members. Should be arriving later today.

Edit: Ack. It didn't come on the ups truck so I checked the tracking information. The delivery date has been updated to tomorrow. No explanation given. Seems like this has been happening more often lately...

Last edited:

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
I'll be picking it up after work today. Likely wont be playing until later tonight after I download the update. XBL GT is revnasty

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Going to hold out until black friday or so.. Too many things going on right now, but I've bought every other halo game so this one is on my list.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I ordered it from Newegg this morning for $40 after their promo code. Don't actually have an Xbox One yet, but probably going to get the Walmart bundle for $349 -- 500GB Gears console + Destiny Legendary + extra controller. Not quite as good as the leaked Dell Black Friday deal, but I'm going to be traveling so I'm not sure I'll be able to snag one then.

Looking forward to Halo 5, though I haven't actually completed 4. My brother and I used to play quite a bit, but since we graduated college several years ago, we haven't. I'd like to get back to playing against him.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Wow that XB1 bundle at Dell is a killer deal. I wish I didn't buy one last year, I didn't actually play it a ton and I'd take both those games.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I've been at it a bit, played 9 matches of Slayer and one mission. I'm still trying to adjust to the new controls because I think they'll be better long-term (like how I had to adjust to using RB to jump in Dying Light, but it made sense after a bit). The radar's close to useless now, as it doesn't show vertical location (generic dots like the older games) and the range is REALLY short (the person can be on you almost as quickly as you can try to react).

The game plays really fast, but it's not a totally chaotic nightmare like 5v5 on Halo 4 was in TMCC (that was horrid). Not a big fan of the DMR, and the SMG seemed better in the beta than it is now. They Hydra still seems like a pile of junk. Also, the map Regret is WAY too common. 9 matches, 5 on Regret, 2 on Plaza, and 1 each on Orion and Coliseum.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Getting it today. Considered getting the limited edition but figured I don't need the extras. Probably won't put any real time into it until the weekend

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've been at it a bit, played 9 matches of Slayer and one mission. I'm still trying to adjust to the new controls because I think they'll be better long-term (like how I had to adjust to using RB to jump in Dying Light, but it made sense after a bit). The radar's close to useless now, as it doesn't show vertical location (generic dots like the older games) and the range is REALLY short (the person can be on you almost as quickly as you can try to react).

The game plays really fast, but it's not a totally chaotic nightmare like 5v5 on Halo 4 was in TMCC (that was horrid). Not a big fan of the DMR, and the SMG seemed better in the beta than it is now. They Hydra still seems like a pile of junk. Also, the map Regret is WAY too common. 9 matches, 5 on Regret, 2 on Plaza, and 1 each on Orion and Coliseum.

you knew it was going to play fast since they're going for halo of duty now.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
No split screen is a deal breaker. Somehow games on lessor consoles, going back to the N64 managed to have split screen MP, and this is also when television sets were much smaller. But now in the he era with these crazy powerful consoles they can't do split screen?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No split screen is a deal breaker. Somehow games on lessor consoles, going back to the N64 managed to have split screen MP, and this is also when television sets were much smaller. But now in the he era with these crazy powerful consoles they can't do split screen?

because now a days with the cry babies that are growing up and posting all over the internet, the 3 frames per second that golden eye ran at during 4 player battles would not fly.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

They did it so babies wouldn't cry about it not playing at 60fps. They even said that was the reason, they didn't want to halve the frame rate for split screen.

There is 4 player online co-op though.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Getting it today. Considered getting the limited edition but figured I don't need the extras. Probably won't put any real time into it until the weekend

I was going to get the console, but I'm going to see if there's a better deal at Black Friday. Since I intend to get the thing sometime, and it comes with the LE of the game, I bought the standard edition. I was considering the LE, but if I'm going to end up getting it from the console bundle, no point in buying it now.

All of the LE stuff for this game is a giant drag, though. The $100 version has a steelbook, some paper, and a flimsy statue. The $250 is that stuff, along with a big, dumb statue that isn't worth the $150 premium. The console is a $400 thing with $40 in extras for $500. It's all overpriced. It should be $75, $150, and $450, I think. That, or you should have gotten both controllers in the $500 bundle.

you knew it was going to play fast since they're going for halo of duty now.

Ugh...do the people who say this stuff actually play these games? Yes, as a FPS, the game holds some similarities to other consoles shooters. However, the fact it's fast-paced doesn't just mean "it's just like CoD." It's got so many different things that borrow from several different franchises, including games of the Halo franchise's past.

For example, they took out the Killcam and loadouts. No more choosing your guns or Armor Ability or getting Ordinance (well, Warzone has something like it). Halo again zooms you out when you're shot, unlike CoD.

Yes, because the Xbox One is much more powerful than those old consoles, but doesn't leverage it for things like visuals, game size, and improved A.I. The problem is a bunch of mediocre PC parts don't power a great experience well. Digital Foundry already showed that the variable resolution drops to 720p and below in some spots WITHOUT having to produce the content twice.

Granted, I'm not a whore for graphics, but I also don't have someone to co-op locally with, so I'm not as bothered by this as those who (justifiably) are pissed they can't play with their friends and family on a single machine.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Ugh.... 9GB Day 1 patch.... Just F-ing let me play my goddamn game you dicks! Seriously, if you can't provide a finished product on the first f-ing day it comes out, don't release it!!

I would've purchased a Digital Copy last week if I knew I'd have had to wait for their shitty servers to download something the instant I pop the disc in!!! Again, if it requires a massive update, then why even do a release date?? Just let retailers sell the game and lock it until it's allowed to be played!

Gaahh!

/rant

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
Ugh.... 9GB Day 1 patch.... Just F-ing let me play my goddamn game you dicks! Seriously, if you can't provide a finished product on the first f-ing day it comes out, don't release it!!

I would've purchased a Digital Copy last week if I knew I'd have had to wait for their shitty servers to download something the instant I pop the disc in!!! Again, if it requires a massive update, then why even do a release date?? Just let retailers sell the game and lock it until it's allowed to be played!

Gaahh!

/rant

Yeah I hear ya. I got home with the game about an hour ago...still downloading that patch. I want to play now dammit!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'll pick it up later, I need to finish the MC collection first to get up to speed.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If you need a hand, let me know. I've beaten all of the campaigns on there on Legendary.
Sometimes I end up wandering around the map for too long. It took me a while to realize that the warthog will drive in the direction of the camera. I was so used to using triggers as the gas and left stick to maneuver. I'm playing them on easy to get through quickly.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Walked into Walmart, bought it, walked out. No line. Played the first mission on legendary. Very difficult. The gameplay reminds me of ODST a lot.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Really? I thought it was a breeze. Having the A.I. able to help you makes it even easier, in my book.