Halo 4 - November 6th

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by slag, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Veliko

Veliko Diamond Member

No.

Next stupid question?

2. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

ok so i got to the forerunner part last night and finished the first level where i'm over there, and my tone on this game has changed quite a bit. the forerunner level was freaking awesome, and their weapons are a welcome change of pace. i'm also really liking the forerunner enemies, well, all of them except that damn thing that flies around because that is a huge pain in the ass to kill.

but the 'assault rifle' of theirs is pretty badass, as is the pistol.

i also received my new subwoofer last night and hooked that up since my current one was broken, and damn the weapons sound MUCH better with some bass from the sub, especially that forerunner rifle.

i definitely had a bit of trouble last night putting it down for the night, as to the previous nights i was ready to be done with the game for that evening. i'll probably check out multiplayer this weekend too which should be cool.

3. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

Tried the game out last night and the audio seems in line with everything else I've put through the speakers.

4. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

The sound effects have been changed a bit from previous games. I think the warthog is terrible sounding now but all else is ok

5. alfa147x

alfa147x Lifer

Thanks. I'll try to figure out what my receivers doing.

6. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

yea i played last night with 3.1 (my surrounds aren't hooked up right now) and everything seemed okay and nothing sounded odd.

one thing to check on your receiver is to see what 'mode' it is in. i know mine has a bunch of modes, like concert, jazz, theater, etc ... and some of them can make it sound awful. not even sure why they include all of those.

7. IceBergSLiM

IceBergSLiM Lifer

I agree warthog sounds cheap like its running off a battery and not a hemi

8. SnipeMasterJ13

SnipeMasterJ13 Golden Member

This is funny because on launch day when my roommate got home I happened to be driving around in the warthog and the first thing he said was, "damn, it sounds like that thing has a hemi!!" That was coming from my weak tv speakers too, not even a sound system.

To be fair, my roommate is an idiot and doesn't even know what a hemi actually is, or why it's even called that. Just amusing that was the first comment he made immediately.

9. amish

amish Diamond Member

ok, I've only gotten one hour in so far. my son was born on the 6th and I haven't had any downtime to really play. However, I've gotten a couple of observations.

- grunts, they seem to be just blobs hopping around the screen. intelligence seems to have gone down. before they would seek cover and perform little zergling rush tactics. now I have a hard time telling if they are facing me or if I'm going to shoot them in the back. I had a group just stand there as I would pop out 4 feet in front of them from behind an opening; picking them off one at a time.

- ammo, do the weapons have less capacity? during all campaigns (Halo: CE through Reach) I think the plasma pistol is the best weapon for taking down shields and being highly accurate. now, I think it gets about 20 shots before it is done.

I'm sure I'll get more contention points later.

10. blurredvision

Same thing happened with the Gears of War franchise. As the graphics went up, AI went down. When I played Gears 3, I didn't remember the enemies being so stupid. So I went back and played the first one and it's like a completely different game. I'd venture to guess you'll find the same with Halo.

They have to keep increasing the visual fidelity, otherwise they'll catch shit for it. So, they put those CPU cycles towards graphics and take away from AI.

This is why we need a new console generation.

11. American Gunner

American Gunner Platinum Member

I am loving this game. The story has been good and fun, spartan ops is a blast, and I just finally played my first game of multiplayer. It's been a few years and I was pretty rusty, but I only when 1 kill negative on slayer.

12. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

I'm only about an hour in, finally finished AC3, and this is pretty fucking awesome. I love it.

13. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Finished the SP, but I am confused on the ending. Could someone PM me an explination of what exactly happened so as to not post spoilers in this thread? Thanks

And for the record, Halo 4 has the most annoying enemies ever in a video game. Those forerunner dog things (whatever they are called) are super annoying!

14. ronbo613

ronbo613 Golden Member

I'm not that great of a Halo campaign player, so every time I get killed, the game goes back to the start of the mission; tired of playing the same boring mission over and over. No checkpoints in this game?

15. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

There are checkpoints but you have to get to them lol

16. ronbo613

ronbo613 Golden Member

Like what, every hour of gameplay?
    Usually, if you move from one scenario to the next there's a checkpoint. So far, the only "saves" I have are at the beginning of missions and nowhere in between.

17. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

No, there are lots of checkpoint. It even says "Checkpoint" on the screen every time you reach one, so I'm not sure why you are having trouble.

18. Veliko

Veliko Diamond Member

Unless, of course, he's turned on that skull that makes you start at the beginning of the level each time you die...

19. ronbo613

ronbo613 Golden Member

That was the problem, thanks Veliko. Heck, I'm not a Halo junkie, I just like to play video games.

#144 ronbo613, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  20. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

the warthog does sound like crap and there is a massive lack of low end compared to say BF3 which would shake my house when driving the tank

21. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

I don't see the big deal with the dogs, they are pretty easy to kill. My most-hated enemy to this point are Watchers, those damn things that fly around and shield/resurrect the other Forerunners.

22. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Dude, when you get further in they climb the walls and come at you from multiple angles and you cannot shoot them fast enough and especially when you have to kill a knight and the watchers. You will have shields down and you run behind a pillar to let them recharge and from behind you there is one of those things pegging away.

It's pretty annoying when you are low on ammo from the knights and security turrets or are in the middle of reloading and your shields start getting plucked away.

It doesn't help that most of the time I was outnumbered 10-1

23. SnipeMasterJ13

Just beat campaign on Legendary. It wasn't too bad at all. The dog things were no issue for me because they were basically Forerunner grunts - single shot kills. The Watchers/Knights or whatever, though, were brutal. They took insane amounts of ammo to take down.

Solid game overall, except it's kind of annoying that they made it way more CoD style. Oh well, can't win them all.

24. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I almost never got 1 shot kills on them unless it was a direct headshot.

25. SnipeMasterJ13

Well, yeah. They had to be head shots, just like the grunts. On Legendary if you don't get head shots pretty much everything takes an entire clip, if not more, to kill. Even grunts.

For what it's worth, I play these games entirely too much and always aim for the head so I'm pretty good at it. In multiplayer out of my total 697 kills, 420 of them were head shots. Breaking it down by weapon type of "kills/head shots" I'm 350/296 with DMR, and 119/103 with the battle rifle.

Moral of the story is that head shots are important, even in campaign. It will definitely make your life easier!