Halo 3 vs ....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: VashHT
Originally posted by: shlemielo

I don't know of a single Xbox 360 owner that considers Halo 3 to be the greatest game of 2007. This writer just comes off as an elitist PC gamer.

I didn't consider it the best game of 2007 and I have a 360 and enjoyed the game. It was good but like all of them I felt it was overrated.

Anyway about Crysis, one of the biggest complaints I heard from previewers was the game was too easy because of your suit. Now people are complaining that the enemies are too hard, guess it can go either way but I had no problem killing people in it.

Yeah, I played on hard (not the hardest difficulty, the one under it) and had no problem killing opponents. I guess I always go for head shots though, so that probably skews my sense of whether the opponents go down easily enough.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

I don't know of a single Xbox 360 owner that considers Halo 3 to be the greatest game of 2007. This writer just comes off as an elitist PC gamer.
Halo 3 is by far the most popular games on the 360. So most 360 owners probably think it is.

In addition to that, there were plenty of public polls for "best FPS 2007" and "game of the year 2007" on various gaming sites. Halo 3 was on those lists and often had a lot of votes.

So, yes, obviously many 360 owners consider Halo 3 to be the greatest game of 2007. For some reason shlemielo just doesn't know any of them.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Thraxen
Halo 3 is by far the most popular games on the 360. So most 360 owners probably think it is.

Actually, no. It's popular for for MP, yes, but that's different than saying it's the best FPS of 2007. For example, games like BioShock and Portal don't have any MP, so it's easily conceivable that people would vote for either of those even if H3 racks up all the online gaming hours. I'd imagine many would vote for other games. And CoD4 is currently just as popular for online MP play.

Why don't we go on the inter-tubes and check it out then? Here are some GOTY 2007 sites

http://gamecriticsawards.com/goty.html
Halo 3 - 6th, beating God of War 2 (WTF?)

http://msm.grumpybumpers.com/?p=19
Halo 3 - 7th, beating HL2 Ep2 (WTF?)

http://ve3d.ign.com/poll/188/GOTY-FPS/
Halo 3 - 8th with 451 voters believing that Halo3 should be game of the year (although Crysis somehow beat Bioshock, which just seems so wrong)

http://www.gamespot.com/forums....php?topic_id=25783259
Gamespot forum poll for best E3 FPS, Halo 3 comes in 4/5 at 19%

I will separate the Gamefaqs polls since they have much larger sample sets and thus deserve more weight
http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2993
GAME OF THE YEAR 2007
Halo 3 came in 3rd, ahead of God of War 2, Crysis... and apparently Bioshock wasn't even on the poll

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2989
Best Xbox 360 game
Halo 3 came in first ahead of Mass Effect (again, no Bioshock listed)

So clearly A LOT OF PEOPLE believed Halo 3 should have been be the game of the year.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Maleficus
Every single one of those games suck, hard.

GoW: laughable story, no hit points!?/instant recovery for the completely pussification of the FPS genre. (what kind of final boss doesn't even attack? rofl.)
Raam not fight back? What did you play it on, PC? and was it on casual mode? I can assure you, at least on the 360, on Insane, you die fast when shot, and most weapons kill you with one shot. At the end, Raam will walk right up next to you and shred you, that's if the kryll or reavers don't get you first. And when you try to run for the other side he'll either chunk you with the minigun or the kryll will get you almost every time. Beating him on insane, with no co-op help, is a test of ability to swap between bow and sniper quickly and use both with speed and accuracy. Otherwise it is a test of patience since you'll die many times trying to finish him. Occasionally, if you are getting your ass handed to you enough, it'll revert to a scenario where Raam hangs around and lets you have a chance, I call it pity mode :p

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I played it on the hardest setting it would let me, he never touched me once, i almost fell asleep killing him.

I sat there waiting the whole time going "oh ok, it was a mode to get me to waste my ammo and now he is going to turn into a 50 foot super mega beast and the real fight begins..." nope, he just died.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Eeezee

In addition to that, there were plenty of public polls for "best FPS 2007" and "game of the year 2007" on various gaming sites. Halo 3 was on those lists and often had a lot of votes.

So, yes, obviously many 360 owners consider Halo 3 to be the greatest game of 2007. For some reason shlemielo just doesn't know any of them.

id place it as tied for 1st with best for me on the 360 for 2007 with COD4

i played orange box and bioshock on the PC i did not play them on the 360 so they dont count in my opinion
i enjoyed H3 more then mass effect
not much else was as good as the 3 i mentioned

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
So clearly A LOT OF PEOPLE believed Halo 3 should have been be the game of the year.

I think you actually proved my point. You showed a bunch of lists where H3 finished behind a fair number of other games. The only poll where it finished first is where games like BioShock and Portal were oddly missing. I only took exception to Blade Venom stating that "most" 360 owners think it's the best. You clearly proved that I was right.

shlemielo

Feb 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Thraxen

I think you actually proved my point. You showed a bunch of lists where H3 finished behind a fair number of other games. The only poll where it finished first is where games like BioShock and Portal were oddly missing. I only took exception to Blade Venom stating that "most" 360 owners think it's the best. You clearly proved that I was right.

QFT. He also took those polls from Gamefaqs. Who do you think votes in those polls? Respected game reviewers, or 14-year-old Halo loyalists?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've always been surprised by the hatred towards the Halo series, yes surprised, despite the vast majority of PC players hating it. I myself really liked Halo: Combat Evolved, I liked Halo 2 as well, although it wasn't as good as the original, however I've been pleasantly surprised by the fun I've had in Halo 3, especially in co-operation mode, which is something that the PC players severely lack of in their shooters... or in fact in any genre except for RTS'es.

Maybe the complaints come from people whom standards have risen very high and became very picky, who knows. I mean I still have fun playing Doom, Hexen and I even have KISS: Psycho Circus installed. I still got Halo 1 on my XBOX, although it's still in its box, but still... and I do own it for PC too, and its multi-player isn't bad at all. I'd rather play Halo 3's multi-player over UT3 any day too.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
The only half decent Halo was Halo:CE because of the story and it didn't feel completely retardedized for the console.