halo 3 vs. cod4 on 360

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
fps.
not a big fan of fps on the consoles
but if you had to own only one for the 360 what would it be?

mc866

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2005
I prefer COD, I own both but haven't played H3 since COD came out.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
If you want to bring your friends over and play 4-people online from the same console, Halo.

Otherwise, CoD.

SEAL62505

Golden Member
Oct 8, 2000
I got both at about the same time and hadn't played previous versions of either. I also was coming from the PC at that point too. Halo seems too slow? I am not sure, but COD4 has been far more fun for me. Halo has hardly been in my 360...

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
CoD 4 is a better game in almost every way. The graphics look nicer, it's easier to learn, the weapons are more balanced, and overall I far prefer the gameplay (you pick your weapon instead of getting one and having to pick up other weapons as you play).

Halo 3 seems to put a huge emphasis on getting headshots, which I really don't like, because it gives a big advantage to twitchy Ritalin-addicted kids who do nothing but play the game all day, and to those with large TVs who can see everything more clearly. And like I said, Halo 3 requires you to learn the maps with much more detail, because you have to find the good weapons. This means that the people who are really good and know where all the good weapons at are at an even greater advantage than they normally would be. CoD 4 has much better weapon balance.

That said, Halo 3 is still fun, and it does have some advantages. The main one is split screen mutliplayer (including online). CoD 4 does have split screen local multiplayer and system link, but there's no option to go on Xbox Live with multiple people on one console. I actually bought Halo 3 for my 360 because I already have CoD 4 for PC. But if you don't have either game for any of your gaming platforms, I'd say get CoD 4 first.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The correct answer is both. But if you can only choose 1, then it depends entirely on personal preference. They are both excellent games with entirely different styles of play.

I disagree that Halo 3 puts too much emphasis on headshots. I don't think headshots make a difference unless your shields are down (except for the sniper rifle/beam rifle).

I got Halo 3 first, then stopped playing it mostly when CoD 4 came out, but now I play both about the same. And I still play both regularly, except recently since I've been too busy to play much of anything.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Another thing I should point out is that the Xbox 360 version of CoD 4 suffers from grenade spam in a really bad way. I rented the game when I got my 360 to see how it compares to the PC version, and I swear, probably 75% of people used Martyrdom as their third perk, and I'm pretty sure most people had 3x Frags too. In some situations, I felt like I was playing some weird version of DDR that involved avoiding grenade warning arrows.

So that basically balances it out with the sniper whoring that goes on in Halo 3. It frustrates me how good most people seem to be with sniper rifles in Halo. I just don't understand how they pull off so many friggin' headshots with their little thumbsticks. CoD 4 has very little sniper whoring, probably because it takes a lot fewer hits to kill someone so most people use regular weapons.

I don't know, I guess I just feel like CoD 4 is more balanced. Halo 3 is like the "Old School" mode in CoD 4 that nobody plays.

EDIT: Oh, another thing, since you mentioned you don't normally like FPSs on consoles. CoD 4 is, IMO, easier to control with thumbsticks. This is because, when you aim down the sight, your aiming slows down, making it easier to aim precisely. Halo 3 doesn't have anything like that - your aiming is always at a constant speed.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
First of all, grenade spam is non existant becuase all you have to do is not run towards the person you just killed.

Second of all, COD4 is a much better game then H3 by far. I bought H3 when it first came out, played the heck out of it for maybe a month, haven't played it seriously since. Bought COD4 and whenever I come home, that's the first thing that comes to mind, owning someone in COD4.

If you don't take our word for it, check the Xbox Live stats, COD4 is #1 Xbox 360 multiplayer week after week.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Another thing I should point out is that the Xbox 360 version of CoD 4 suffers from grenade spam in a really bad way. I rented the game when I got my 360 to see how it compares to the PC version, and I swear, probably 75% of people used Martyrdom as their third perk, and I'm pretty sure most people had 3x Frags too. In some situations, I felt like I was playing some weird version of DDR that involved avoiding grenade warning arrows.

So that basically balances it out with the sniper whoring that goes on in Halo 3. It frustrates me how good most people seem to be with sniper rifles in Halo. I just don't understand how they pull off so many friggin' headshots with their little thumbsticks. CoD 4 has very little sniper whoring, probably because it takes a lot fewer hits to kill someone so most people use regular weapons.

I don't know, I guess I just feel like CoD 4 is more balanced. Halo 3 is like the "Old School" mode in CoD 4 that nobody plays.

EDIT: Oh, another thing, since you mentioned you don't normally like FPSs on consoles. CoD 4 is, IMO, easier to control with thumbsticks. This is because, when you aim down the sight, your aiming slows down, making it easier to aim precisely. Halo 3 doesn't have anything like that - your aiming is always at a constant speed.

Yeah, I hate the grenade spamming... especially when it's just a random grenade throw and the guy didn't even know you where there. But I'm content to know that I kill them a lot more than they kill me. So spam away, as long as you don't mind being raped in the ass with an M16. :) I also love that in CoD4 I can take out a sniper at long range with an M16 pretty easily as long as I know where they are. I love that.

I actually think there are more snipers in CoD4 than in Halo 3, but they aren't as effective. Snipers are limited in Halo 3, because a map that has sniper rifles only has two. It's not unusual to have multiple snipers on a team in CoD4. And I ass-rape all of them with my M16 or G36. The kill-cam helps a lot with countering snipers. Even if they're smart enough to stay scoped in for a few seconds after the kill, you get a good idea of where they are.

Edit: The only people who use martyrdom are people who suck. If you don't suck, you use a perk that doesn't require you to DIE. Same goes for last stand.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Halo is garbage compared to COD4.

Then again, Halo is garbage compared to a lot of games. The only thing I think it has going for it is its accurate matchmaking.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have both. H3, up to last mission, boring, shelved it. PLayed COD4 on PC, finished it, play all the time online. Love COD4 so much I bought it for the 360 so I can play on my 360 in my apt or on my PC or on my other 360 at my GFs house. COD>>>>>>>H3.

Cellulose

May 14, 2007
For me, Halo>>>>>>>>>COD, most of my mates have the same preference. Why not download the demo for both?

edit: Fair enough, neither has a demo on Live :p

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
i like both the same. each is a differnt type of gameplay.

halo3 has much more variety and with custom game types and maps there is a ton to play with friends.

it depends on what type a gme u want. a serious fps or a fun run and gun.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Cellulose
For me, Halo>>>>>>>>>COD, most of my mates have the same preference. Why not download the demo for both?

Is there a demo for either?

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Know the thread is a lil' old but I thought I'd chime in.

I'm like alot of these people. I played Halo 3 for three weeks after I bought it and I haven't played it since. Beat the game on Legendary, played a little multiplayer, meh. It really is a cool and well made game, but for me Bungie left out one aspect of the game...fun. I just don't think it's very fun.

CoD I just can't seem to put down. I decided to take a two month break (not because it got boring, I made the mistake of installing Diabloi 2 on my PC though :p) and came back the other day, took me all of 20 seconds to get re-hooked and now I can't wait to go home and play.

I don't think there's nearly as many martyrdom people online as there were when the game first came out (because all of them were the 13 year olds who switched to GTA IV). At least I've not noticed it as much.

Something I like about CoD, it doesn't take NEARLY as long to kill someone as it does in GoW or Halo 3. If you can see 'em, you can pretty much kill 'em. Halo I found myself having 15 second gun fights and both of us would run away and get our health back. CoD one or two sprays with your weapon will kill someone. Forces you to play more intelligently IMHO. I'll give a point to Halo for having a shotgun that's actually useful. It takes just about as long to kill someone with an AR at short range as a shotgun in CoD so very few people use it. Also you don't have hopping shooters who bounce around the level like a bunny while shooting...

One thing that's painfully missing from CoD is co-op SP. Still, the multiplayer is so great I can't complain much.

I've got Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 sitting next to CoD and I can't bring myself to play it ATM even though I'm only like 10% done with the campaign, CoD is my tactical shooter of choice.

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
I guess I'm the odd one out that still plays Halo 3. That said, I've never even played CoD, nor do I want to. I'm not a fan of the realistic military shooters. If I were to get CoD 4, I would end up only playing through the single player campaign, and leave multiplayer for Halo 3.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i'm a huge halo 2 fan ...

COD4 is better online IMO. if i had to play only 1 forever i'd play COD4 no questions asked.

the maps in Halo 3 suck and the way bungie sets up the defaults just is lame. the weapon respawn system in halo 3 is also whack.

in halo 3 there are just so many times where you are completely helpless, while in COD4 I can't really think of 1 time I felt that way.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SnipeMasterJ13
I guess I'm the odd one out that still plays Halo 3. That said, I've never even played CoD, nor do I want to. I'm not a fan of the realistic military shooters. If I were to get CoD 4, I would end up only playing through the single player campaign, and leave multiplayer for Halo 3.

How would you know if you've never even tried? CoD 4 isn't very realistic. Yeah, it has a modern setting and it has "real" guns, but other than it taking fewer hits to kill someone than Halo, it's not that different.

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, it just seems weird to me.

Originally posted by: purbeast0
the maps in Halo 3 suck and the way bungie sets up the defaults just is lame. the weapon respawn system in halo 3 is also whack.

in halo 3 there are just so many times where you are completely helpless, while in COD4 I can't really think of 1 time I felt that way.

I agree on the weapon thing. I really prefer CoD 4's system of letting you pick your weapon. Anyone can use any weapon, and there are no superweapons like the rocket launcher. Halo's system is just like CoD 4's "old school" mode, which no one plays. No one in CoD 4 likes having to walk around the map looking for weapons.

Halo 3 still has its place. The variety of weapons afforded by the futuristic fantasy setting does help. A lot of weapons are really fun and different. But I think a lot of them are also unbalanced. Some people, when they get a sniper rifle, can stop the whole other team by themselves, and it's impossible to fight back except by counter-sniping (where you have to find your own sniper rifle and be better than the other guy) or using cover to sneak up on them (which isn't always possible). Sure, there are sniper junkies in CoD 4 as well, but at least you can fight back reasonably well with your own weapon.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004

Don't really think there's a single "realistic" shooter around (maybe America's Army for the PC gets pseudo-close). In the end it's still a run and gun game. You oughta give it a whirl.

Or do you not like games with realistic world situations??

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: kabob983

Don't really think there's a single "realistic" shooter around (maybe America's Army for the PC gets pseudo-close). In the end it's still a run and gun game. You oughta give it a whirl.

Or do you not like games with realistic world situations??

I probably should have clarified "more realistic." I never got into the CoD series because I wasn't a big WWII fan, they all seemed repetitive as far as single player goes. I know 4 is modern warfare, and a whole new beast. I would probably enjoy single player a ton. I do own Ghost Recon, and enjoyed the single player a lot. It's just not my cup of tea for multiplayer.

When it comes to multiplayer FPS, I'll take Halo 3, Unreal Tourney, etc over CoD, GRAW, etc. every time. I'm not bashing them by any means, just a personal preference. :)

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: SnipeMasterJ13I probably should have clarified "more realistic." I never got into the CoD series because I wasn't a big WWII fan, they all seemed repetitive as far as single player goes. I know 4 is modern warfare, and a whole new beast. I would probably enjoy single player a ton. I do own Ghost Recon, and enjoyed the single player a lot. It's just not my cup of tea for multiplayer.

When it comes to multiplayer FPS, I'll take Halo 3, Unreal Tourney, etc over CoD, GRAW, etc. every time. I'm not bashing them by any means, just a personal preference. :)

Hold on a sec, I'm with you as well, I didn't like the previous CoD games at ALL (none of them...seriously). And I didn't like Ghost Recon either. CoD is COMPLETELY different than Ghost Recon. Luca's got it right, the biggest similarity is that you've got modern day weapons and to aim better you've gotta hit the left trigger, that's where it ends. You'll find the game plays more Halo style than GR style.

You need to give it a whirl. I'm with you, I don't like most realistic shooters. I can't play R6: Vegas multiplayer, I didn't like Ghost Recon, but I loved Unreal Tournament (not 2k3 or 2k4). And I haven't really liked a WW2 game since Medal of Honor: Allied Assault which was even more run and gun than Halo is.

Run to Blockbuster and give CoD 4 a whirl. Heck, when I get bored with it (which might take a looooooong time :p ) I'll send ya my copy and you can give it a try and mail it back when your done (or when you decide you have to buy your own copy).