Halo 2...

CrazyLazy

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2008
So I heard Halo 2 is available for PC players. Is it worth buying, and is there much in the way of online play? Also will it run on XP?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
If it's worth buying is purely subjective, but I had fun with it on the XBOX, I liked it despite not being as good as the first, in my opinion of course, but it has its moments, to be honest I do prefer Halo 3 over Halo 2, but yeah, the original is on the top, I'd say that if you liked the original I don't think that you'll suddenly "hate" Halo 2, you may not like is as much, but you may well end up loving it, who knows really.

As for XP compatibility, as far as I know it's only possible to install Halo 2 on Windows Vista, officially that is. But let's not be naive for a moment and let's just say that there is a way to make it work on Windows XP. If you want to buy it go ahead, the price must have gone down since the time it was released, and it has some fun action, it's entertaining enough in my book. At full price I wouldn't have said go for it, but as I said, if it costs like $20 or something then why not, because it ain't worth much more than that.

udneekgnim

Jun 27, 2008
Halo is meant to be played on a console with a controller

a lot of people loved Halo multiplayer on Xbox, but it didn't get much fanfare on PC multiplayer because its mechanics do not translate well to PC FPS

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Get Halo 1 instead. You can still find people playing it online and it's better than 2 (at least on the PC).

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I'm pretty sure it's Vista-only. Online community is crap since it is exclusively through Games For Windows Live, which until recently was a pay service. No one wanted to pay to play PC games online, so no one joined.

Of course, the online is free now, but I'm guessing that door has long been closed.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
No one wanted to pay to play PC games online

If this is true, why do MMOs have such a cult-like following? Why haven't games like Guild Wars murdered other MMOs and then raped their corpses?

Computer people didn't want anything to do with LIVE! because it's from Microsoft, and computer games hate Microsoft, even though their OSes make gaming possible.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Raduque
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
No one wanted to pay to play PC games online

If this is true, why do MMOs have such a cult-like following? Why haven't games like Guild Wars murdered other MMOs and then raped their corpses?

Computer people didn't want anything to do with LIVE! because it's from Microsoft, and computer games hate Microsoft, even though their OSes make gaming possible.

Nobody wants to play an FPS on servers that are hosted by other people and yet pay for it. It has nothing to do with anti-microsoft and everything to do with sense.