Halo (1) - worst vehicle controls EVER?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: JackBurton
Really easy, wherever the arrow is pointing, that's where the vehicle goes.

Yeah, I understood that. I'd rather control the steering wheel, like in every other game I've ever played that involves controlling vehicles.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: gtsing
You're just a noob.

I am. I'm a Halo noob. But I'm not a video game noob, and I don't see anything beneficial to this control scheme over any other control scheme I've encountered. So enlighten me. How is it better than controlling the steering wheel?

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007
Originally posted by: mugs

Yeah, I understood that. I'd rather control the steering wheel, like in every other game I've ever played that involves controlling vehicles.

I seriously don't see the point of your thread. You indicate that you understand how the controls work then you say you'd rather play like GT5 is going to be. I'm sure many people would like to play Halo another way but, you can't, so you should just get used to it or stop playing.

BTW, you might see something beneficial when you learn to drive.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
It works once you figure it out. They might have changed it because of the traction on all the vehicles. Warthog has 4 wheel steering, the scorpion is a tank and thus is controlled by treads, the covenant vehicles hover or fly... conventional steering doesn't apply because they're not conventional vehicles.

That's be best BS I could come up with on short notice. I actually really like the vehicle controls...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I seriously don't see the point of your thread. You indicate that you understand how the controls work then you say you'd rather play like GT5 is going to be. I'm sure many people would like to play Halo another way but, you can't, so you should just get used to it or stop playing.

The point of this thread is that this is supposed to be a great game and the driving controls are a piece of shit. I thought this was a pretty decent game (other than the repetitive first level), but the driving makes me not want to play it anymore. You say I might see something beneficial when I "learn to drive." I learned to drive more than 10 years ago. I'd like to know what benefits I'll see when I learn to drive a Halo vehicle, because right now all I'm seeing is that I can't look in one direction and turn my vehicle in another direction, and that sucks. And I can't directly control the steering wheel of my vehicle, and that sucks. So I'm wondering, what supposed advantage is there to this counterintuitive vehicle control scheme?

Reactions: Daehock

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Um, never had a problem with the Halo controls. Seriously. The only issue I ever had was trying to drive the Warthog into some narrow hallway it was never meant to be driven into.

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007

The point of this thread is that this is supposed to be a great game and the driving controls are a piece of shit.
I thought this was a pretty decent game (other than the repetitive first level), but the driving makes me not want to play it anymore. You say I might see something beneficial when I "learn to drive." I learned to drive more than 10 years ago. I'd like to know what benefits I'll see when I learn to drive a Halo vehicle, because right now all I'm seeing is that I can't look in one direction and turn my vehicle in another direction, and that sucks. And I can't directly control the steering wheel of my vehicle, and that sucks. So I'm wondering, what supposed advantage is there to this counterintuitive vehicle control scheme?

It is a great game and I loved it. You just suck at driving. If you bitch so much about the vehicles and their control scheme just don't play. It's that simple.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say when you mean "directly control the steering wheel." Like, you want a cockpit, is that what you're saying? Okay, say you got your cockpit (but you never will:p), please tell me why you'd want to look in another direction than you're turning. Yes, maybe to see the beautiful scenery over there or a guy with a rocket launcher that could blast you to hell but you couldn't see where you're driving?

But all in all, if you don't like the game because of the vehicles then seriously just don't play it. You might get good at driving them one day and actually enjoy it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

The point of this thread is that this is supposed to be a great game and the driving controls are a piece of shit.
I thought this was a pretty decent game (other than the repetitive first level), but the driving makes me not want to play it anymore. You say I might see something beneficial when I "learn to drive." I learned to drive more than 10 years ago. I'd like to know what benefits I'll see when I learn to drive a Halo vehicle, because right now all I'm seeing is that I can't look in one direction and turn my vehicle in another direction, and that sucks. And I can't directly control the steering wheel of my vehicle, and that sucks. So I'm wondering, what supposed advantage is there to this counterintuitive vehicle control scheme?

It is a great game and I loved it. You just suck at driving. If you bitch so much about the vehicles and their control scheme just don't play. It's that simple.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say when you mean "directly control the steering wheel." Like, you want a cockpit, is that what you're saying? Okay, say you got your cockpit (but you never will:p), please tell me why you'd want to look in another direction than you're turning. Yes, maybe to see the beautiful scenery over there or a guy with a rocket launcher that could blast you to hell but you couldn't see where you're driving?

But all in all, if you don't like the game because of the vehicles then seriously just don't play it. You might get good at driving them one day and actually enjoy it.

No, I don't want a cockpit. The 3rd person view is fine - that's what I normally use when I play racing games. I'd like (as I've said twice) to be able to directly control the steering wheel. And if you don't understand why you'd want to look someplace other than the direction you're steering, then obviously you're not old enough to drive, and you must not understand why racing games give you the ability to look around while you're driving.

Yeah, you're right, I should just stop playing. This game is a piece of shit. I guess I'll join the Sony and PC fanboys in their Halo bashing, because this game is a piece of shit.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Its easy.... when you start whipping the warthog around to smack noobs on multiplayer. They never expect to get hit by the back of the warthog.

Reactions: NTMBK

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, it is pretty retarded and nonsensical. It took me a while back then to figure out why the hell the steering was so slow and I kept overturning. I'm pushing all the way on the stick like "turn, dammit, turn!".

Once you realize its following the arrow it gets easier, but it still is retarded beyond belief.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000

:thumbsup: halo 1 vehicle controls are not frustrating at all...?:confused:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
mugs, yes the stearing is different then a caring game, halo is not a racing game, it might take some getting used to
the warthod is pretty easy to controll, and if you are driving it ou generally dont need to look around while you are going, just stop for that,
the system is the same for all the vehecials in the game, and it works fine IMO, same in all 3 games

the tank is different as you can drive itn any direction and turn the turret in another and shoot things

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007

No, I don't want a cockpit. The 3rd person view is fine - that's what I normally use when I play racing games. I'd like (as I've said twice) to be able to directly control the steering wheel. And if you don't understand why you'd want to look someplace other than the direction you're steering, then obviously you're not old enough to drive, and you must not understand why racing games give you the ability to look around while you're driving.

Yeah, you're right, I should just stop playing. This game is a piece of shit. I guess I'll join the Sony and PC fanboys in their Halo bashing, because this game is a piece of shit.

LOL

You're like the biggest noob I've ever seen, GG. No one else seems to have a problem with the controls. If you're going to quit Halo, why not (while you're at it) just quit gaming in general?

BTW I don't know what the fuck you're talking about when you say directly control the steering wheel. You make no sense.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
He means turn the wheel by pushing the analog stick L/R....... It already does this though..
I never had issues past the first 30 seconds...

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

LOL

You're like the biggest noob I've ever seen, GG. No one else seems to have a problem with the controls. If you're going to quit Halo, why not (while you're at it) just quit gaming in general?

BTW I don't know what the fuck you're talking about when you say directly control the steering wheel. You make no sense.

he wants the stearing to be totally independent of the looking
so you coudl drive to the right while looking stringht ahead

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The steering is easy as pie; I would hate to imagine the steering of racing games implemented into Halo. The vehicle controls they give are much better and more useful for the situations you are put in.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
LOL

You're like the biggest noob I've ever seen, GG.

ZOMG you called me a n00b! ROFLCOPTER!

No one else seems to have a problem with the controls.

Two other people have already posted in agreement with me. :confused:

If you're going to quit Halo, why not (while you're at it) just quit gaming in general?

Because there are plenty of good games to be played. Really, because I dared to criticize Halo I should quit gaming entirely now? :confused:

Oceandevi explained this one. I've already pointed out the deficiencies of this control scheme, but I'm curious about what is BETTER about it than typical controls? Everyone just keeps saying you get used to it. Fine. But why'd they do it that way in the first place?

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
He means turn the wheel by pushing the analog stick L/R....... It already does this though..
I never had issues past the first 30 seconds...

...Oh...wow. Yeah, it already has it. What a noob.