Halloween: Post Disaster(can you say, singled out minority?)

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I posted this elsewhere...but am pretty upset about it.

I go into Math Analysis yesterday, in a pretty cheery mood I must say. Everything's going well, I'm talking to my friends, and to a very great young gal behind me. We start doing our work, taking the time out to admire everyone's costume. There I am, bustin a gut at my friend's costume, which consists of Austin Power like teeth, only worse by about 10x. Anyways, I'm laughing, and we finally move on to our homework.

The teacher calls on a girl who I thought was dressed up like, what I thought, a Raggedy Ann Doll, with odd black hair. The girl goes to answer and says, "

"Oh me so sowwy, me no know the ansuh" what I forgot to mention in the other post is that she started giggling like the f*ckin stereotypical asian school girl.

I can't handle that, but added to that my friend says, I guess trying to make it sound from good intentions,
"Dude, don't let it bother you"

Something about the way he said, and the audacity of him saying it that just set me off. The f8ckin all white dominated class doesn't know what i've been through, and probably wouldn't understand.

My house has been vandalized because of my color
My brother and I have been beaten up numerous times because of my color
My brother and I have been kicked out of toy stores, because of our color
People dumb down their speech in front of me, as well as my parents

And I lay witness to people laughing at my parents because of their accent.

I absolutely hate it when people go and say, "What the hell did he just say? Ching chong wei..."

A F8cked up place....African Americans have the NAACP, Hispanic are now a large enough minority where they don't get picked on, and if ever the Asians speak out, God forbid American listens to them...they bombed pearl harbor!

Which brings me to my last little display of racism.

I'm about 6 years old, and i'm playing cops and robbers with two little girls on the playground. The age old argument, "I shot you, yes huh I did" broke out, and the girls grandma said, "stop playing with him, he killed your grandfather"

Hmm...even at 6'0 180lbs, I'm still brought down to my knees when I witness acts of minority...

BTW, all that happened when i was prolly 8...others were sprinkled in my 17 years of existence

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
That's just wrong. I'm white, but my best friend is of Asian heritage (he was born in the US, but his parents were born in Korea). And luckily as far as I know, no one has done anything to him because of his race. At least not while I've known him. You should explain to your friend why it bothers you. You should also try talking to the girl who did her little halloween joke and make her realize why what she did was unacceptable.

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Oh, I will...believe me I will!

It's comforting to know, some know and care.

:frown: I need a hug...Doctor Evil style.

Paul

SexEPid

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2000
Wow is all I can say
Makes you wonder about the oddasety of some people, they have no clue what they're talking about, they think they're right about race, and there's nothing you can do to convince them, these make me sick, how they can judge a whole race, or group of people from ONE incident that happened some 50 years ago, I feel for you, man.

Pid, TYRP

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Thanks Pid,

however...can you post an acceptable picture of yourself? everytime I see your username, I see a guy curled up in a little ball wearing a leotard.

:disgust: And to think, now I gotta take a shower:confused:

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry to hear about that, but unfortunately there's not much we can do. Ignorant people will always be like that and we can only hope that the next generation will be better.

SexEPid

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2000
hehehe, I will scan my student card tomorrow, SuperGroove, I am a good looking young man, actually :p

Pid, TYRP

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
SuperGroove: I feel for ya man! (I'm white, don't hold it against me :)) I hate it when I see 'racism' in action. Its not fair, not right, and not excusable. Please try to understand that it is the truly uneducated and ignorant people that show that attitude. (I'm assuming this is highschool) It is really dissapointing to see this in the school system.

Why does it seem like the school systems really teach racism, through the "cultural diversity" programs?

I'm from the Chicago land area, were unfortunatly among the lower (I mean uneducated - it seems these people do not want to be educated) classes, there is a lot of hate toward and by the different ethnic groups (all of them, I have taken sh!t for being white, and it IS scary). So, I do see it. And it sickens me.

Peace dude. I'm sorry for your troubles.

Ryan

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That's a drag man, but the only thing you can really do is just don't let it bother you and recognize that it is "their" loss. I am white, but married to an Asian woman. Both of my kids (boy and girl) have her dominant dark features, black hair and brown eyes. I have blue eyes. I really think the only thing that has kept my son out of trouble is, he is 6'4" tall and he aint afraid of nothin! He's very athletic and works out in the gym, was a star basketball player in highschool and people have learned that they don't mess with him..... I sure wouldn't unless I wanted to be hurting. :D
His grandfather used to have these talks with him when he was a little boy about how the world is and what to expect, and that things wouldn't always be right or fair, but he would always be on top, as long as he did not sink to the level of those people. Keep your head high, you, I'm sure have alot to be proud of.

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Thanks for all the helpful words guys.

Bobby Ribbs,
I live in the metro Denver area of Colorado.

Compuwiz1,

I do have a lot to be thankful for in my life, and I am very proud of the fact that I am Korean....just I think Koreans make the sh*ttiest cars:( Other than that, I'm very proud of my Korean background, just as I am proud of being born and raised in America. BTW, I always thought when white people go together with asians, they make the BEST looking kids. They just ooze perfection, lol. I haven't seen one ugly mix yet, haha

Paul

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
DanC,
Don't be ashamed of being white, be proud of your heritage. Instead, be ashamed that people like that exist in all ethnicities. There are going to be racists in every racial group. The term is only tacked unto whites because we happen to be the majority in this country.
People shouldn't forget that every ethnic group was once a minority here in the US. Whether your background is European, Asian, African or whatever, there was a time when people experienced discrimination here. The very reason the first settlers did come over here was to get away from their persecution.
America is such a great melting pot of cultures. I wish people would realize this, and that we would be able to eliminate stereotyping. Unfortunately it is not in human nature to do so. :(

Now to get away from my long rant - I'm sorry to hear that you had to face such racist and stereotypical attitudes, SuperGroove. Just remember, there are a great majority of people who are accepting of other cultures and ethnicities. It is just those racist minds that give us a bad name.

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
As I was growing up I saw a lot of racism, or to put it corectly, racial intollerance. for some reason, this never sat too well with me. As I grew up and became older, and hopefully wiser, I came to realize in my mind that their is only one race on this earth, the HUMAN race, which is made up of many diverse cultures, which all in all should work together in this world. One ethnic groups weakness or shortcoming may be another groups strength. We should all contribute to make this a better place. We are all human, we are all different, but we have common goals.

To live, work, have fun, and continue on.

Ignorant people should not breed.