Hallmark to reinstate same-sex marriage commercial it pulled

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Hallmark to reinstate same-sex marriage commercial it pulled

19348856304365-1.jpg

By: The Associated Press
Posted: Dec 15, 2019 / 10:40 PM EST / Updated: Dec 15, 2019 / 10:47 PM EST

"NEW YORK (AP) — The Hallmark Channel, reversing what it called a “wrong decision,” said Sunday it will reinstate same-sex marriage commercials that it had pulled following a complaint from a conservative group.

The earlier decision by Crown Media, Hallmark’s parent company, to pull several ads for the wedding planning site Zola featuring two brides kissing at the altar had caused a storm of protest on social media...

It was a complaint by One Million Moms, part of the American Family Association, that had led to the initial decision to pull the Zola ads. A post on the group’s website Saturday said that Crown Media CEO Bill Abbott “reported the advertisement aired in error.” The group also wrote: “The call to our office gave us the opportunity to confirm the Hallmark Channel will continue to be a safe and family-friendly network.”

...Molly Biwer, senior vice president for public affairs at Hallmark, said in an interview Sunday night that from the time the initial decision had been made, “Crown Media had been in agony over the hurt that this had caused. Hallmark has an unwavering commitment to diversity and inclusion.”"

I call shens. Knuckling under to One Million (homophobic) Moms and crapping on the LBGT community is not taking a stand. Then reversing yourself for more publicity and so you can claim how inclusive your corporation is stinks even more.

I remember thinking how cool that commercial was when I saw it. I never knew the Halmark Channel pulled it. Like most corporations, The Halmark Channel is only committed to $$$. We're turning a corner culturally and long held prejudges are dying off with the older generations that held them. Corporations better get with the times.

Kudos to Zola for understanding the LBGT community is as family oriented as anyone else.

Dec 10, 2005
People only believe you truly value inclusivity and diversity if you make the right decision to politely tell the homophobic group to pound sand when they ask you to remove a commercial they don't like, not after the public uproar begins once you've reversed the wrong decision.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
They should have told the mom group that "We are not homophobic company, so we will not pull the ad. Merry Christmas" and been done with it.

Hallmark Channel is about 30 years behind general society.
Honestly, I was not surprised they banned the ad. I am surprised they changed their mind. It's almost like some sort of progress was made...

Nov 8, 2012
People only believe you truly value inclusivity and diversity if you make the right decision to politely tell the homophobic group to pound sand when they ask you to remove a commercial they don't like, not after the public uproar begins once you've reversed the wrong decision.

Or... Maybe.... JUST MAYBE.... There is a simple fact in life that companies have always (and will always) make reactions based on what they feel is monetarily in their best interests.

Fucking crazy, I know.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Hallmark Channel is about 30 years behind general society.
Honestly, I was not surprised they banned the ad. I am surprised they changed their mind. It's almost like some sort of progress was made...

I agree here. I haven't watched anything on Hallmark in 15+ years, based on what they chose to air, I am not surprised one bit that the commercial was pulled.

Their history is deeply entrenched in Conservative Christianity. However, Conservative Christians have largely discarded their professed values.

In that respect, I'm not surprised they decided to re-air the commercial. There are many same-sex couples and supporters that adhere to the core christian values taught by Jesus.

But still, I'm a bit surprised that the commercial is now back on the air.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Or... Maybe.... JUST MAYBE.... There is a simple fact in life that companies have always (and will always) make reactions based on what they feel is monetarily in their best interests.

Fucking crazy, I know.

I think overall that's what most companies come down to. But it's not always the case, IMO. The bigger the company, the more likely you are to find that.

Nov 8, 2012
I'm a bit surprised anyone still buys cards anymore. I was thinking of you so much that I bought some paper and scribbled some words on it on my way here.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm a bit surprised anyone still buys cards anymore. I was thinking of you so much that I bought some paper and scribbled some words on it on my way here.

I think it's a nice gesture still. And I do enjoy receiving cards. My family usually does cards and food items. We have enough stuff, don't really need anything, so it works out.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Fucking crazy, I know.

Having witnessed at close range various executives confidently cheerfully stick their extremities into numerous (and usually obvious) PR bear traps over the years what the management assess to be in their interest and what actually is can quite easily be two very different things.

Nov 8, 2012
Having witnessed at close range various executives confidently cheerfully stick their extremities into numerous (and usually obvious) PR bear traps over the years what the management assess to be in their interest and what actually is can quite easily be two very different things.

Absolutely. It's not to say they are always correct.

Hobby Lobby has stuck to their guns and they haven't even flinched.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
'
Or... Maybe.... JUST MAYBE.... There is a simple fact in life that companies have always (and will always) make reactions in life based on what they feel is monetarily in their best interests.

Fucking crazy, I know.

Not always, thankfully. Tim Cook has more than once told right-wing investors in Apple that he doesn't care about the "bloody ROI" for issues like accessibility and the environment. Of course, Apple is in a position where it can easily afford to do the right thing, but it's still a conscious decision to forego a bit of profit.

As was just noted by K1052, though (and I'm sure you agree), Hallmark's stupidity was in forgetting that being pro-LGBT is in its best monetary interests.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Absolutely. It's not to say they are always correct.

Hobby Lobby has stuck to their guns and they haven't even flinched.

Given that they don't inhabit similar niches in the economy I don't think that's a great comparison. Media is a whole other ballgame and it's relatively easy to destroy one's company just by even saying the wrong thing.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It kinda bugs me that a conservative group can make one complaint and get things changed immediately. Even if it is on a channel that panders to conservatives.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
So, here's a serious question. How many people in the LGBTQIA demographic, or their supporters, actually watch Hallmark? I wouldn't think that people in that demographic would be into formulaic romance movies. Not trying to be a troll, just genuinely curious.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
So, here's a serious question. How many people in the LGBTQIA demographic, or their supporters, actually watch Hallmark? I wouldn't think that people in that demographic would be into formulaic romance movies. Not trying to be a troll, just genuinely curious.
Hallmark also owns Crayola. Someone did a Twitter fallout assessment and convinced upper management to course correct using a spreadsheet.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

1. Enjoying schlocky brainless Christmas movies isn't restricted to straight people.
2. The majority of straight people support LGBT rights.

They were basically limiting their demographic to hypocritical holy rollers. A pretty small minority.