Half of the Country Doesn't Pay Income Tax?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Hey liberal, Hey Jhhnn. Go fuck yourself to hell. Go fuck yourself.

In applying for my mortgage I had the joy of reviewing our tax returns. We paid a total of 55k to FEDERAL INCOME TAX for an effective rate of 22.5%%. GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!! That's just FEDERAL INCOME TAX.

You want me to feel sorry for people paying ZERO Federal income tax? Half of the fucking country pays ZERO FEDERAL INCOME TAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you bring up "oh, but they pay other taxes". Well fuck you liberal, fuck you. Everybody else pays them.

Fuck you liberal, fuck you.

And one last time, fuck you liberal, fuck you. See you in 2012, you're done.

Oooh, I always like when spidey catches himself in a lie. Just last week he claimed a bill rate of $250/hr which would add up to approximately half a million a year in income. However right here he claims that $55k is 22.5% of his income, which is right under $250k. That's a pretty big fucking discrepency in income levels. And it largely just goes to show that either A) spidey is a lying sack of shit. or B) spidey is too inept to do the most basic of calculations and can't be trusted with anything he says because he's not smart enough to be taken seriously. You are also allowed to take C) all of the above.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Oooh, I always like when spidey catches himself in a lie. Just last week he claimed a bill rate of $250/hr which would add up to approximately half a million a year in income. However right here he claims that $55k is 22.5% of his income, which is right under $250k. That's a pretty big fucking discrepency in income levels. And it largely just goes to show that either A) spidey is a lying sack of shit. or B) spidey is too inept to do the most basic of calculations and can't be trusted with anything he says because he's not smart enough to be taken seriously. You are also allowed to take C) all of the above.

Lulz, I don't get to keep all of my bill rate. Consulting company takes their chunk.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
When people aren't outraged that half the country doesn't pay income tax and instead insist that those that do pay even more, we have a very serious problem. I wouldn't be so ticked if I didn't have to again look at how much tax we paid, that's what really set me off.

When 100% of the government income comes from income taxes, I am sure more people will be outraged. Another way to look at it as well is the fact that business isn't paying people enough to make a wage high enough for pay income tax.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
When the 35% of corps start paying their share, then maybe you can ask the lower 50% to pay some more if needed.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did you know that most deductions and almost all credits aren't available to "the rich" or severely phased out but are available to everybody else?

I'm talking about ALL of the deductions, period. I mean, why should someone NOT pay taxes if they can deduct enough via home mortgage or charity deductions? Get rid of all deductions. I'm sure that would make you happy.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
When people aren't outraged that half the country doesn't pay income tax and instead insist that those that do pay even more, we have a very serious problem. I wouldn't be so ticked if I didn't have to again look at how much tax we paid, that's what really set me off.

Poor baby!

#worldssmallestviolin

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I'm talking about ALL of the deductions, period. I mean, why should someone NOT pay taxes if they can deduct enough via home mortgage or charity deductions? Get rid of all deductions. I'm sure that would make you happy.
Poor people can't afford to buy their own homes and don't get to deduct mortgage interest. Sucks for them, cool with spidey.

:\

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Poor people can't afford to buy their own homes and don't get to deduct mortgage interest. Sucks for them, cool with spidey.

:\

Yet they can afford cable televisions, multiple TVs, and DVD players.

Anyways, how many of these "poor" people decided to have multiple children they cannot afford, have children out of wedlock, had children before finishing school (high school or college), dropped out of high school, dicked around during high school, or never took ownership of their education and sought post high school training?

(Hint: A lot)

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yet they can afford cable televisions, multiple TVs, and DVD players.

Anyways, how many of these "poor" people decided to have multiple children they cannot afford, have children out of wedlock, had children before finishing school (high school or college), dropped out of high school, dicked around during high school, or never took ownership of their education and sought post high school training?

(Hint: A lot)

That's right. If they ALL went to college, earned a high demand degree, and had fewer children (or none), they ALL would have been making over $100,000 per year. Every single one of them...and that's "A lot" too!

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
That's right. If they ALL went to college, earned a high demand degree, and had fewer children (or none), they ALL would have been making over $100,000 per year. Every single one of them...and that's "A lot" too!

No, but they wouldn't need to live as leeches off of the rest of us. They could support themselves instead of being a drain on society.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

We do have a serious problem- it's not what you think it is, but rather self righteous greed & willful blindness, which you epitomize.

Maybe you'll make it to the Forbes 400 some day, and get to pay <17% of your income in federal taxes which is less than a lot of people who make $100-150K.

http://www.epi.org/publication/for_americas_top_earners_growing_incomes_falling_tax_rates/

Oh, yeh, their incomes grew by 400% from 1995 to 2007, even as their tax rates fell dramatically.

Worship them, Spidey, for they are your Gods.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
We do have a serious problem- it's not what you think it is, but rather self righteous greed & willful blindness, which you epitomize.

Maybe you'll make it to the Forbes 400 some day, and get to pay <17% of your income in federal taxes which is less than a lot of people who make $100-150K.

http://www.epi.org/publication/for_americas_top_earners_growing_incomes_falling_tax_rates/

Oh, yeh, their incomes grew by 400% from 1995 to 2007, even as their tax rates fell dramatically.

Worship them, Spidey, for they are your Gods.

Exactly. What you posted is why we are the greatest country on earth.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Exactly. What you posted is why we are the greatest country on earth.
A small number of rich people didn't make this country great, Americans as a whole did. And the more we get the short end of the stick in favor of the handful of people at the top, the weaker the driving force behind America really becomes.

The fact is that the economy has grown massively in the last several decades, yet middle class wages have been pretty stagnant. That only makes sense if you believe that the average American had nothing to do with the growth of our economy and that all the work was done by the small number at the top that are seeing most of the benefits.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
A small number of rich people didn't make this country great, Americans as a whole did. And the more we get the short end of the stick in favor of the handful of people at the top, the weaker the driving force behind America really becomes.

The fact is that the economy has grown massively in the last several decades, yet middle class wages have been pretty stagnant. That only makes sense if you believe that the average American had nothing to do with the growth of our economy and that all the work was done by the small number at the top that are seeing most of the benefits.

Go cry me a river. They accepted those wages and didn't better themselves. THAT's what makes this country great. You can always do better if you work hard and improve yourself.

The problem with the middle class is they have no drive and think "well I've got a job, might as well plop myself here and live out my life".

That is not the American way and it's a shame a huge portion of the population chose to be the worker bees.