Half of All Women Over 20 Are Wider!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I wonder if the weather has anything to do with it? Cali has hot gorgeous weather 12 months out of the year. In NJ, it rains a ton and many of our days are dark and dreary. We have about 4 months of good weather starting now and ending mid September. If we're lucky, mid October.
In the USA, of course weather has to do with it. In Europe, it's a cultural thing where people aren't lazy as shit and don't stuff their faces full of processed food at every turn.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I am glad that I still can wear 33 size pants/jeans without any problem.

Watch out world, very soon women likeTed Holiday (plus size model) will be the new standard of beauty - https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tess-holliday-health-none-business-035504073.html

Only in America and Africa my friend.

Asian women would be mortified to look like that lady. Also, when does it become a health concern? That's the real issue. Heart disease, Type 2 diabities, cancer. Those things may not be an issue in your 20s, but when you're pushing 40 and you have that much weight your life is going to change for the worse. Weighing 150 plus is not cute. No matter what they say.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Only in America and Africa my friend.

Asian women would be mortified to look like that lady. Also, when does it become a health concern? That's the real issue. Heart disease, Type 2 diabities, cancer. Those things may not be an issue in your 20s, but when you're pushing 40 and you have that much weight your life is going to change for the worse. Weighing 150 plus is not cute. No matter what they say.

Exactly but thanks to this political correctness don't judge me mentality today and the false equivalence that the alternative is some unhealthy anorexic waif model, we have overweight people being promoted as normal and acceptable when it is anything but,

might as well bring back the Marlboro man and Joe Camel and put them right next to the plump Sports Illustrated model as being cool.

Reactions: clamum

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
That doesn’t seem right, somehow. I would consider myself “average” and I’m smaller than that. Not extremely, but still.

: ) Amanda

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The one thing I noticed when I got back from Asia is the women in NJ were huge. The guys as well.

Asia is very crowded. People have to be smaller or they wouldn't fit. The US has 1/8th of the population density of Western Europe, so people have to expand to take up the available space. Same as with American houses and cars and fast-food portion sizes.
You can see the same principle at work when comparing the average BMI in crowded places like Manhattan with those in less crowded places like the US South.

Eventually an equillibrium will be reached when Americans have waist-sizes 8 times that of Europeans, drive cars 8 times as wide, and live in houses 8 times as large.

. The only way to stop this is to allow more immigration so as to fill up the space before that happens.

(Also why London is the least fat area of the UK - land prices being what they are in the city, people can't afford to be fat, their homes are too small).

Reactions: lxskllr and Mai72

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Exactly but thanks to this political correctness don't judge me mentality today and the false equivalence that the alternative is some unhealthy anorexic waif model, we have overweight people being promoted as normal and acceptable when it is anything but,

might as well bring back the Marlboro man and Joe Camel and put them right next to the plump Sports Illustrated model as being cool.

I don't think you do get 'promotion' of obesity, other than a tiny handful of cases that get disproportionate attention (the odd fat-activist or supersize model).

The overwhelming trend is still to associate obesity with poverty or lower-class status, which means it's stigmatised. Inso far as there is 'normalisation' its simply a question of numbers and the market. There's a commercial imperative to flatter your customers and cater to the largest - in all senses - part of the market. That's capitalism.

But the OP link itself demonstrates, that even commercial imperative still gets over-ridden by those deep-rooted ideas about status, with the products being offered not being a good fit - literally - to the customer base. Which is interesting - culture over-riding economics.

Also, personally, I feel that a little too much attention is given to diet, and not enough to how our environment is increasingly designed to not only make physical activity unnecessary but to actively impede it.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Asia is very crowded. People have to be smaller or they wouldn't fit. The US has 1/8th of the population density of Western Europe, so people have to expand to take up the available space. Same as with American houses and cars and fast-food portion sizes.
You can see the same principle at work when comparing the average BMI in crowded places like Manhattan with those in less crowded places like the US South.

Eventually an equillibrium will be reached when Americans have waist-sizes 8 times that of Europeans, drive cars 8 times as wide, and live in houses 8 times as large.

. The only way to stop this is to allow more immigration so as to fill up the space before that happens.

(Also why London is the least fat area of the UK - land prices being what they are in the city, people can't afford to be fat, their homes are too small).

Good points. Had never thought about that POV.

Asia is very crowded, but that's mostly in cities like Bangkok, and Seoul. When I would visit my Thai gf's mom in Korat there was a ton of open space. When her mom would serve dinner the one thing that struck me was the size of the meal. Much smaller than your typical American meal. It mostly consisted of rice, pork and fish. Compare that to what is served in Ameria. Fries, a huge steak, a huge soda, and a large pie. It's why I likr to setup my meals on Sunday, so I can have some control over what I'm eating on a day to day basis.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am glad that I still can wear 33 size pants/jeans without any problem.

Watch out world, very soon women likeTed Holiday (plus size model) will be the new standard of beauty - https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tess-holliday-health-none-business-035504073.html

vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-large.gif

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My wife is 5'8" and is a size "small" or medium (if she wants a looser fit). She cuts weight by running and doing Whole30. It's not hard to be thin, it just takes work and time before your body starts gaining traction from the changes. I'd be interested if they took a sample of women aged 18....checked again at 22, then 28, then 35 to see how they changed over time along with data points on annual household income. I already know what the charts *should look like, but it'd be fun to test the theories.