Half-life free on Steam?

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I went to Steam to see what games I could pick up for a really low price. Anyway, I went to my Library and there was Half-life 2. I own the game but it hasn't been on this computer since I built it 6 months ago. Steam downloaded it for me free of charge.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I own it too, and mine sets there waiting to be installed. If you already own it how can you tell it is free for everyone else? Even if steam is running a free trial I don't remember them doing auto downloads.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Half Life 2 has always been tied to your steam account. If you ever registered it there, it's there for good.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah, HL2 was developed simultaneously with steam, so it's pretty much fully integrated. If you have HL2, it will show up in steam.

I remember I got it for free from a video card I bought, and even though I had the game disc for it, the disc installed Steam and required that I set up an account to play. (It supposedly was the first game developed to require online activation).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I've had Steam for 2.5 years now. I don't have Half Life 1 or 2. And I didn't get them free.

I DO have two Half Life Mulitplayer games that Valve game me for free (Lost Coast? and something else). I've never played them. In fact, I'd like to delete them from my Steam library, but can't.