Half Life Episode 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: thebigdude
Gotta say I enjoyed it much more that episode one.

These episode releases are driving me crazy though. With that ending I want to play episode three now, not in two years.

Yeah when the Ep3 comes out I'll be running an 8core 6Ghz CPU with a Radeon 4500 or GeForce 5000 and 8GB of DDR-6 Memory at 4Ghz with a 5TB Solid State HDD running Vista X-64 Sp2.

Am I right?

I'm kidding, but really I'd like to see the episode releases come faster. I had forgotten most of what happened in Ep1 when I started Ep2.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Amazing after all this time no other dev can make a game with models that show the emotion of the HL2 series. Just amazing how Alyx and company animate. Its worth having all the NPC guys on the screen together and spot all the little animations (Alyx rolling her eyes at Magnusson, Kliener and Eli reacting to each other when they don't agree..etc). Play other games and they all look so robotic and just plain crap.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: raystorm
Amazing after all this time no other dev can make a game with models that show the emotion of the HL2 series. Just amazing how Alyx and company animate. Its worth having all the NPC guys on the screen together and spot all the little animations (Alyx rolling her eyes at Magnusson, Kliener and Eli reacting to each other when they don't agree..etc). Play other games and they all look so robotic and just plain crap.

You know I looked at UT3, Crysis, and whatnot.

Half-Life 2 STILL to this day looks just as good in most respects and is how many years old?

Sure Crysis and UT3 use some DX10 shaders and whatnot. STill, I think Valve does an amazing job using the source engine here. The water still looks as good as any game out there.

boglwe

Aug 16, 2007
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
I've been considering buying Episode 2 on Steam... now that I see it's only 4-6 hours of content... for $30... no thank you.

get the orange box, well worth the money.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
I've been considering buying Episode 2 on Steam... now that I see it's only 4-6 hours of content... for $30... no thank you.

Buy the Orange Box listed on the ATHD forum for $17 or $24 depending on the site. You get HL2+Ep1+Ep2+Portal+Team Fortress 2. I just did it and it's the best $24 I've spent on games ever.

Deinonych

Apr 26, 2003
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
You know I looked at UT3, Crysis, and whatnot.

Half-Life 2 STILL to this day looks just as good in most respects and is how many years old?

Sure Crysis and UT3 use some DX10 shaders and whatnot. STill, I think Valve does an amazing job using the source engine here. The water still looks as good as any game out there.

I was thinking this the other day. Source still looks great, especially considering it's a 3 year old engine.

Drekce

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
I am going to replay Ep2 and try to get the Gnome achievement. It is supposed to be pretty tough, mainly on the driving parts.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
so wait...there's only that one gnome in the whole game, the one underneath that wood thing? And you have to carry it to the end?

now THAT is an acheivement lol!!

-z

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: DannyLove
The ending session was a good one. The rocket scientist was pissing me off and I had a feeling he was up to something no good.

I had a feeling too. But what is he up to? Guess I missed that part.

Game was great. That ending really got some emotions outta me. Great graphics too.

***Spoiler***

So whats in the borealis?

Originally posted by: joshsquall
Did anyone see this?

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/j...ep2_outland_110000.jpg

Notice the computer with "the numbers" on it and the Dharma type logo.

That'd be sweet. Are the numbers the same as on Lost?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Just finished this. Think I clocked in 4 or 5 hours total. Story held up fine, but it ended a bit earlier than I expected. Though this one would conclude most of the story, but I guess there's at least 1 more episode to come.

Spoilers:

The pace was good, and the strider battle was great. Would have prefered more Combine action though. Oh, and did I mention I hate those new effing hunters. Almost impossible to get away unscathed. It felt great to run them over:). Again, Alyx is the best NPC ever who is a joy to have around.

Only problem I had was the first quarter or so with the mines. I really didn't care for playing Starship Troopers minus the corpses and scale. That and the environment in the mines was terrible and bland.

Overall, it was pretty good. Can't complain about length since I pretty much knew it was going to be as short as episode 1 anyways. Also, have to say the voice acting, especially for Alyx, was excellent as usual. Just wish they added more weapons...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Here's what bugs me and i am not so sure anyone noticed it. For "episodic" games, the episodes are sure far apart ... and it looks like then next one MAY be '09 ... they are making a new Engine and haven't even started on the Story :p

http://www.next-gen.biz/index....1&limit=1&limitstart=5
Episode Three. We ask how Valve intends to outdo The Orange Box. As always, Newell nonchalantly turns the question back to the customer, restating his ambition to use feedback to create ever more appealing products for the company?s fans: ?That?s what comes with the territory,? he says of this task. ?We?re going to have to find something to get people fired up. They?ll tell us if we do, and they?ll tell us if we don?t.?

Find something? ... '09 maybe?
-if they're lucky
:confused:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre
I haven't even finished it yet, but I think I am close to the end. The game rocks, MUCH better than Ep1.

If you started it then your close to the end ... I agree it was fun while it lasted but it was way too short.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Here's what bugs me and i am not so sure anyone noticed it. For "episodic" games, the episodes are sure far apart ... and it looks like then next one MAY be '09 ... they are making a new Engine and haven't even started on the Story :p

Episode Three. We ask how Valve intends to outdo The Orange Box. As always, Newell nonchalantly turns the question back to the customer, restating his ambition to use feedback to create ever more appealing products for the company?s fans: ?That?s what comes with the territory,? he says of this task. ?We?re going to have to find something to get people fired up. They?ll tell us if we do, and they?ll tell us if we don?t.?

-if they're lucky

For some reason I doubt a new engine. Like people said they should of just focused on HL3 instead of making 3 episodes - 2 years apart. If they we're going to make episodes they should be more like 6-8 months apart.

And what is this new element they introduce in the story? (Im trying not to spoil it for anybody). Was it in the original Black Mesa? This involves "Judith" of course. Just seems like it came out of nowhere and makes it seem we'll likely see 4 more episodes in a 10 year span. Some people don't live that long damnit, so just make a HL3 and call it quits.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Oh yes, and I liked the game. The graphics are unique and the characters detailed faces are still unmatched. Actually everything is detailed. Valve seems to put a lot of focus on those little things and touches through out the game and stay consistent which I like. Dark blue color milk crates surrounded by lush green foliage, with a dark grey garbage disposal unit textured with dirt. It's those little things littered through out the game that make the graphics stand out more than many. The amount of work they put into their games is obvious and it makes other games like (dare I say FEAR?) look down right boring. I believe HL2 prooves a point that putting as much detail in the game as possible is just as important, if not more, than the actual graphics engine you use to create them with.

There's not much I don't like about the game itself. Maybe add a few weapons the shock the enemy like an electrical bolt that can fry them, or a cross bow that can shoot a "sticky bomb" bolt.

I thought it was a fun and enjoyable game but I agree with many others that these episodes are too short and too far apart.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Regs
Originally posted by: apoppin

-if they're lucky

For some reason I doubt a new engine. Like people said they should of just focused on HL3 instead of making 3 episodes - 2 years apart. If they we're going to make episodes they should be more like 6-8 months apart.

And what is this new element they introduce in the story? (Im trying not to spoil it for anybody). Was it in the original Black Mesa? This involves "Judith" of course. Just seems like it came out of nowhere and makes it seem we'll likely see 4 more episodes in a 10 year span. Some people don't live that long damnit, so just make a HL3 and call it quits.

if you read the interview, Newell is saying a new Engine for '09 ... one that will not scale ... evidently DX10 and Vista only :p

and it looks like "we" might suggest how the story should go [if you want it to hurry] ... email him with a great storyline
-think you would get credit if they used it?
:Q

zachtos

Sep 7, 2005
I think the price was fine considering how memorable and exciting EP2 is to play. It's very rare that i can think back on a game maybe 5 years later and remember something exciting from the game. If I can, then it usually means it was a worthy game.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
I thought Ep 2 was much better than Ep 1. I also enjoyed running over the hunters, even tried it on striders but that didn't go down as well.

And those achievements can go suck a wank. Maybe some enjoy them but eh...

Is it just me or could Valve totally cash in with a shitload of more episodes? They already have the engine & assets done, why aren't they cranking out good episodes like this routinely?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Old thread I know, but I just finally got The Orange Box, and there was no sense in making another thread.

Episode 1 shall be renamed to "Episode 1: Darkness." Half the damn thing was underground.

Ep2: most depressing ending to any videogame I've ever played, and I've played like........less than 20 games probably. :eek:
But thank goodness they improved the flashlight system. Too much of Episode 1 was spent sitting around waiting for the flashlight to recharge. I guess Gordon finally ditched his carbon-zinc cells and got some quality Li-ions.

Unexpected consequences indeed.

Originally posted by: JasonCoder
I thought Ep 2 was much better than Ep 1. I also enjoyed running over the hunters, even tried it on striders but that didn't go down as well.

And those achievements can go suck a wank. Maybe some enjoy them but eh...

Is it just me or could Valve totally cash in with a shitload of more episodes? They already have the engine & assets done, why aren't they cranking out good episodes like this routinely?
According to an interview I read, it was with Gabe Newell, Episodes 1, 2, and 3 are effectively Half Life 3. But, he said that HL1 took 2 years to make, and HL2 took 6 years to make, with a much larger staff. He said then that fans probably wouldn't want to wait another 6 years for HL3, so they did the episode thing. He also said that Episode 3 is supposed to be fairly spectacular. They haven't released any trailers for it because, at the time of the interview, it's still under development, and gameplay can change significantly in that time.

For example, check out Steam for the gameplay trailers. I think it was the Gameplay #5 video that showed the final Strider attack sequence. In that video, it included a gunship, with no nice effects for the Magnusson Devices. Release version included no gunship, and the Magnussons looked really snazzy when they attached.

And yes, I am taking that goddamn gnome. Thus far, the worst part is when you're pursued by a chopper after Gordon's head is nearly impaled by the Advisor in the barn. The chopper wash blasts the gnome right out of your car (no, you can't use the trunk, and Alyx refuses to hold it securely). Steering the car tosses the gnome aside.
(Edit: The gnome is in orbit. :D)

After it's all blowed up, then it should get a bit easier, as you're in less of a hurry to drive.

That gnome is going to head into orbit, dammit.

The achievements are probably Valve's way of enticing people to spend more time with Episode 2, so they complain less about there being no Episode 3 yet.
I want Episode 3, but I don't want them to hurry it to market and half-ass it.

Useless information: I thought the voice of one (or several) of the Vortigaunts sounded familiar. He was Tony Todd, who played Worf's brother, Kurn, in TNG and DS9. IMDB says he was also a Hirogen in Voyager.

And finally, the same guy does the voices of the G-man and the security guy, Barney.