Half Life 2 Still Holds up really well

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
got a new video card and I fired up half life 2 again.

In particular, the facial animations are still the best of any game I've played since. There's something about the subtle motions of the faces that make it seem like there's bone and muscle underneath, and not just animation clay. Batman Arkham asylum in particular is very guilty of creepy faces.

impressive. when's episode 3 coming out?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
got a new video card and I fired up half life 2 again.

In particular, the facial animations are still the best of any game I've played since. There's something about the subtle motions of the faces that make it seem like there's bone and muscle underneath, and not just animation clay. Batman Arkham asylum in particular is very guilty of creepy faces.

impressive. when's episode 3 coming out?

I agree concerning the facial animations, they're superb still to this day. But I must say that L.A. Noire's facial animations system is far superior to anything I've seen on the video gaming market. The game itself isn't very good though. If you want to experience the ultimate visuals that Half-Life 2 can offer (in my opinion) then you absolutely have to play it with the Cinematic Mod, Episode Two in particular with that mod is mind-blowing.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
HL2 has actually had several engine updates during its life, including a major one to bring it up to EP2 levels.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I agree concerning the facial animations, they're superb still to this day. But I must say that L.A. Noire's facial animations system is far superior to anything I've seen on the video gaming market. The game itself isn't very good though. If you want to experience the ultimate visuals that Half-Life 2 can offer (in my opinion) then you absolutely have to play it with the Cinematic Mod, Episode Two in particular with that mod is mind-blowing.

Is there a version of the cinematic mod where it doesn't make everyone in the game look completely different?

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Is there a version of the cinematic mod where it doesn't make everyone in the game look completely different?

You can use the original models with cinematic mod or import any of the updated ones you prefer from any of the previous 10 cinematic mods.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
As far as EP3 is concerned, Valve has not said anything about it lately. Many are wondering if it is ever going to come out.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
the series ending with no conclusion is biggest fucking let down in gaming history

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
the series ending with no conclusion is biggest fucking let down in gaming history

I still trust valve to end it eventually! Just hope I live that long. Damn, thats a pretty sad thing to want to live for...but I love this game

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
mavalve.jpg

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I still trust valve to end it eventually! Just hope I live that long. Damn, thats a pretty sad thing to want to live for...but I love this game

thing is, its a potential huugge cash cow for them to continue it. i don't think any company would just stop like that so no doubt they would likely at least make a finally.
only thing i can think of is if their making a new engine from scratch or trying out something more radical....hopefully a revolution in A.I. but i doubt it. perhaps their afraid of how critical fans will be if its not 100% perfect

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
It took 6 years between Half Life 1 and 2 (1998 - 2004).

It's been about that that time since Episode 2. With Portal 2 already out, no mention of any L4D 3, and Counterstrike 2 due early in 2012, I would expect something at maybe E3 of next year.

I'm currently playing the game for the first time on the rig in my sig.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011

It's been about that that time since Episode 2. With Portal 2 already out, no mention of any L4D 3, and Counterstrike 2 due early in 2012, I would expect something at maybe E3 of next year.

I am hoping for E3 2012 too.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
The industry uses "Valve time" as a catch phrase for its done when its done. They don't like giving estimates for when it will be done because they're always wrong. As video games go these guys are artists who prefer getting the art right to making deadlines and I support that 100% no matter how crazy I get waiting for the next Half Life 2 release. They even rewrote and recorded most of the dialogue for Portal 2 because it just wasn't cutting the mustard and the results speak for themselves.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

Minus the 2 years which was due to them being hacked and having their source code stolen. a turbulent time for them.
But unless something goes very wrong, its rare for a top game to necessarily take more than 4-5 years.
We've been through Oblivion and Skyrim since.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
thing is, its a potential huugge cash cow for them to continue it. i don't think any company would just stop like that so no doubt they would likely at least make a finally.
only thing i can think of is if their making a new engine from scratch or trying out something more radical....hopefully a revolution in A.I. but i doubt it. perhaps their afraid of how critical fans will be if its not 100% perfect

Today's word is:

finale

[fi-nal-ee, -nah-lee]   Origin
fi·na·le

   [fi-nal-ee, -nah-lee] Show IPA
noun 1. the last piece, division, or movement of a concert, opera, or composition.

2. the concluding part of any performance, course of proceedings, etc.; end.

Apr 17, 2003
damn, it's been so long I don't even remember what happened in EP2. IF Valve ever release EP 3, I have to re play or re read the story line.

Zubinen

Nov 10, 2011
I guess it's one of the benefits of having a highly modular game engine, e.g the Source engine. Wondering if we'll be getting a Source 2.0 or just a massive overhaul being applied to all Source games for HL3.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
The industry uses "Valve time" as a catch phrase for its done when its done. They don't like giving estimates for when it will be done because they're always wrong. As video games go these guys are artists who prefer getting the art right to making deadlines and I support that 100% no matter how crazy I get waiting for the next Half Life 2 release. They even rewrote and recorded most of the dialogue for Portal 2 because it just wasn't cutting the mustard and the results speak for themselves.

Thing is, people aren't asking for a release date. They're just looking for an indication that Valve is in fact working on EP3/HL3. At this point, we don't even know if Valve plans to continue/finish the HL storyline.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Funny coincidence. I just started playing HL2 for the first time.

2 guys in here playing HL2 for the first time! I envy you guys! I wish I could go back and experience this one for the first time again. As it stands, I have probably completed the whole game and both episodes at least 25 times

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
2 guys in here playing HL2 for the first time! I envy you guys! I wish I could go back and experience this one for the first time again. As it stands, I have probably completed the whole game and both episodes at least 25 times

I loved HL2, but 25 times is too much D:

I think Valve might use Ep3/HL3 to showcase some new tech. Hence the long time to release it.