Half-Life 2 Retail Available NOW at BestBuy!! (Schaumburg IL)

HappyFace

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Was browsing the games section at BestBuy today, turned the corner and OMGWTFHL2?! This is amazing, I have a retail copy of Half-Life 2 sitting here on the desk in front of me! Not sure it will work (is retail steam locked?) but if it does I'll be sure to post more!

:thumbsup::)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You can't play until Tuesday anyway. How much did you pay?

Pre-ordered my copy from Outpost for $35.99 shipped. Hopefully it will be here Wed or Thurs

HappyFace

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: Francodman
It's not unlocked yet, so basically you're still preordering.
Bummer :( aw well, at least it will be preloaded and ready to play on the release date. (and I have a retail copy)

HappyFace

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4

Pre-ordered my copy from Outpost for $35.99 shipped. Hopefully it will be here Wed or Thurs
You got really lucky, that was a price mistake! Paid full price, $54.99 ...

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
I don't understand why you people don't buy over Steam. If you have a fast internet connection and a credit card, there's no reason NOT to buy from Steam except that you don't get pretty CDs (You can backup your Steam files with a built-in backup utility, now). Either way, Valve ties your copy of HL2 to a single Steam account. And, either way, you have to activate your copy with Valve. In fact, after your retail copy is installed, it acts just like a Steam-purchased copy. So why wait?

If your reason is price, well, do you get DoD: Source w/ your regular retail purchase? How about every game Valve has released? It looks like the Bronze package to me, but I could be wrong about that.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: abaez
Because I hate steam?

lol That's a horrible reason. You still have to install Steam to install/run HL2 (unless you get some sort of crack).

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
I got HL2 through steam (voucher), I rather have the pretty cd/box though..

oh yeah, making you create a steam account is stupid.. what about the people that want to paly the game without a internet connection heh..

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
the reason to get the retail copy is because teh steam servers will be absoutly killed when the game goes active, it will be faster to just buy the game and install it, and not wait for steam to DL it

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Anubis
the reason to get the retail copy is because teh steam servers will be absoutly killed when the game goes active, it will be faster to just buy the game and install it, and not wait for steam to DL it

Which is why Steam has been pre-loading HL2 for weeks...

WhiteWonder

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001

I think steam has downloaded most of the game onto my computer already, it is just locked.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000

But that's why you pre-load, isn't it? I have everything that's been released downloaded right now. At most, it will be a few MB of data to DL (if the entire thing isn't already there) and BOTH of us will still have to activate, anyway. Steam congestion will affect both retail and Steam buyers, so I don't really see the retail advantage.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EpsiIon
Because I hate steam?

lol That's a horrible reason. You still have to install Steam to install/run HL2 (unless you get some sort of crack).

Maybe b/c I'd rather have the CD's/box/manual etc...??? I'd like to have something to show for what I paid for.

And as far as playing it right away, who gives a %&@????? If I have to wait an extra day or two, so be it. We've had to wait an extra YEAR to play the game (since it's original supposed "release date") so how is another two or three days gonna hurt? I'm sorry, but I don't bust a nut over being able to play a game on release day.

As for the other games, I don't give a crap. All I care about is Half Life 2.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: wkabel23

Which is why Steam has been pre-loading HL2 for weeks...

And, correct me if I'm wrong, the retail version has to be activated through steam on the 16th just like the downloaded version does.

P.S. I just bought and downloaded it yesterday. If the game looks half as good as the framerate test looks I will be a happy camper. (and I got 40fps, which is cool with me)

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: FuZoR
I got HL2 through steam (voucher), I rather have the pretty cd/box though..

oh yeah, making you create a steam account is stupid.. what about the people that want to paly the game without a internet connection heh..

I agree it's a hassle, and I'm definitely not happy about it. That said, I can understand their reasons for doing it. It should cut down on casual piracy a bit, and they probably won't lose many customers over it.

BTW, Steam has an offline mode. So if you activate and then disconnect, you will be able to play HL2 in offline mode.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyFace

NFS knows this. He just likes mentioning it again and again.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
well i would like to have the actual CD and box etc. Soppose i will hit BB tonight to see if they have it. I loved the first one.

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: EpsiIon
Because I hate steam?

Maybe b/c I'd rather have the CD's/box/manual etc...??? I'd like to have something to show for what I paid for.

And as far as playing it right away, who gives a %&@????? If I have to wait an extra day or two, so be it. We've had to wait an extra YEAR to play the game (since it's original supposed "release date") so how is another two or three days gonna hurt? I'm sorry, but I don't bust a nut over being able to play a game on release day.

As for the other games, I don't give a crap. All I care about is Half Life 2.

That's fine with me (and it makes a lot of sense if you got a good deal on a retail copy). But you should be aware that the game doesn't come with a manual and your CDs are easily replicatable with a burner. So the only extra thing you have to show for your purchase is a quick-reference card and a box. If those make you happy, more power to you.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Originally posted by: HappyFace

NFS knows this. He just likes mentioning it again and again.
psh, well I paid $0 for mine :D I bought a 9800pro from BestBuy, and even though ATI had pulled the free-HL2 promotion weeks ago, my Best Buy had forgotten to take down the sign. I explained to the manager that I was expecting a free Halflife 2 with my purchase, and so he basically gave me an IOU form that will let me get the full retail game for free when it comes out :D