Half Life 2 - bit of a disappointment

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Half life 2 is the best FPS ever made so far. I honestly think people that didnt like it are just non conformists... i can see how maybe people wouldnt like crysis or far cry or doom 3 or quake 4 etc but half life 2?? Cmon... i bet you HL2 haters hate sugar and theme parks and stuff that everyone else likes too.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Renob
Also given that it still stutters occasionally with an 8800gt

Strange I have a 8800GT and play at 1600x1050 everything MAXED and get zero stutter, sounds like an issue with your system not the game.

I have a 7800GS @ 1280x1024 and no studdering either. I remember when it first got released there was studdering but they fixed it in updates. Defragging and extra RAM help a lot.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Half life 2 is the best FPS ever made so far. I honestly think people that didnt like it are just non conformists... i can see how maybe people wouldnt like crysis or far cry or doom 3 or quake 4 etc but half life 2?? Cmon... i bet you HL2 haters hate sugar and theme parks and stuff that everyone else likes too.

I didn't like it much because it was inferior to HL. I almost gave up on the series, but EP1 renewed my faith. I have EP2, but I'm going to wait until EP3 is released, then play them all from beginning to end.

NiKeFiDO

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Powernick50
I'm not even sure where to start here....

The game is brilliant. The storyline pretty immersive, the environments also immersive.

I do understand the pain about the steam and DRM..but even still...maybe if you really overhyped it before you played..

the story line is immersive....if you can find it

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: CP5670
I keep finding myself thinking that this game is graphically rather unimpressive, rather low poly (though the water effects are nice), and just frustratingly linear. Funny really in that its only doing what fps's have always done, but after a period when Oblivion was the only pc game I played, it seems artificially restrictive now.

I played it when it came out and had the same opinion. The graphics were okay but not great (especially after coming off Riddick and Far Cry) and the horribly repetitive level design frankly made the game a chore to play. The story was all told in a handful of cutscenes and most of the actual game had very little connection to it, basically consisting of running through hundreds of decrepit buildings that all looked identical and were very sparsely detailed. I have to admit, the last two or three levels were much more fun, but it really tested my patience to get that far into the game.

As for the linearity, this game is highly restrictive even by FPS standards. I have played few FPSs over the years that put you on rails as much as this one does. I honestly don't understand why so many people like it, considering some of the other stuff that is out there.

a lot of games arent as linear, but they also are boring..at least in my book, having the free roam feel isnt always good, sometimes it just creates a big mess with little to no direction

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: pmv
Also given that it still stutters occasionally with an 8800gt.

Your systems either fucked, or your bs.

Personally I very much enjoyed HL2. Just the type of game I like.

In case you havent seen it, check out the FakeFactory mod.